Can we still do it?

45 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

I have alluded to this before but I have never felt like this before about Derby .I always predicted an 8th to 10th finish this season .So why am I not happy even though we have a chance of the playoffs .

Being second and going backwards doesn't help if we were on the way up on a run we would all feel different .I can't be arsed to go on Saturday if I was a betting man I'd put money on a Bamford winner it's the Derby way.

I guess the dull pedestrian football has beat the **** out of me and I have lost interest .I admire the blind faith of some of the young ones because I was like that once ,now the cynical old git in me looks past that .

I look past it and I don't like what I see anymore ,I hope they make it for the believers but I don't think they will not much to be proud about Derby these days.

8-10th was acceptable when most viewed this is a transitional season. A season to strip everything back, give Rowett time to build and create an identity.

Sadly, we’ve gone for it and may still finish 8-10th and are probably in the same situation as we were at the end of last season.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cannable said:

8-10th was acceptable when most viewed this is a transitional season. A season to strip everything back, give Rowett time to build and create an identity.

Sadly, we’ve gone for it and may still finish 8-10th and are probably in the same situation as we were at the end of last season.

Except minus Will Hughes, sold for peanuts and inadequately replaced with ex prem players that struggled to hold down a starting place for their previous team ?

2 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

id be happy with simpson but do you think he will leave his roll with england 

He might prefer our crusty cobs to their soft baps.

1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

I have alluded to this before but I have never felt like this before about Derby .I always predicted an 8th to 10th finish this season .So why am I not happy even though we have a chance of the playoffs .

Being second and going backwards doesn't help if we were on the way up on a run we would all feel different .I can't be arsed to go on Saturday if I was a betting man I'd put money on a Bamford winner it's the Derby way.

I guess the dull pedestrian football has beat the **** out of me and I have lost interest .I admire the blind faith of some of the young ones because I was like that once ,now the cynical old git in me looks past that .

I look past it and I don't like what I see anymore ,I hope they make it for the believers but I don't think they will not much to be proud about Derby these days.

My sentiments exactly, your not alone 

To be fair, Gary had found a cracking team in terms of results and clean sheets and we were scoring a few too.

Then the wheels came off and he's not responded effectively. I wonder just how big an impact January had. Neither arrival has made the slightest impact (were they ever going to?), and we lost our best wide player and most skilful #9.

Interesting to see Dean Smith mentioned. I like his team, and I used to like Mark Warburton's too. I wonder how much that has to do with the two managers and how much is to do with the ethos in place at Brentford. They have a 'Brentford Way'...I don't think a manager can flourish here until we have clarity of purpose again and an integrated squad to match it.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

43 games gone and Rowett still doesn’t know his best team and is playing people out of position.  Unfortunately this is the closet we will ever come to the play offs with him in charge, given what he has done to the team anyone coming in, be it next season or subsequent ones will also have a much more difficult job as the result of his legacy.  

42 actually. Not sure who is playing out of position. Baird? Weimann? Anyway the main problem all season is that we have no midfield, and that has started to show big time since Ledley got injured and he has t been the same since.

Can we - yes. Will we? Probably not. I'd love the side to be more cohesive and play more as a unit, which will be very much required to get through our games, but I don't believe under Rowett it will happen. I really think we need a rethink of our philosophy. In the short term though, I think we could probably patch up our problems enough to get into the playoffs, I don't think we're good enough to even make it to Wembley, let alone win it.

Of course we can still do it. There's way too much negativity on here. It just needs a spark from somewhere and the promotion charge can still blaze brightly. And just five week's hence, on Saturday 26th May, we may yet be promoted. Come on you Rams!

5 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

id be happy with simpson but do you think he will leave his roll with england 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

He might prefer our crusty cobs to their soft baps.

But after what's gone before, will Mel be prepared to seal the deal by whacking a sausage in it? 

We are all ( almost all) just too scarred to let ourselves believe we can do it ,, let’s be honest it’s been front of minds and the continually overbearing question / issue that’s pressured everybody at the club including owner ,manager,players,fans and  media since we had a couple of draws ,, Derby always collapse it’s a stigma that really is gonna take some shifting

13 minutes ago, archied said:

We are all ( almost all) just too scarred to let ourselves believe we can do it ,, let’s be honest it’s been front of minds and the continually overbearing question / issue that’s pressured everybody at the club including owner ,manager,players,fans and  media since we had a couple of draws ,, Derby always collapse it’s a stigma that really is gonna take some shifting

Spot on and such a shame.

4 games to go, 12 points to play for, 3 promotion rivals to play and there a few matches still to go between our rivals...of course we can do it.

Can we shake off the complete negativity surrounding the club once again...I doubt it.

Can we as fans re-create the sort of atmosphere at Pride Park that we had against Forest and Sheffield Wednesday when the players came flying out the blocks? If not, why not?

Sad to say but I think too many would rather us have a bad performance so they can tell us they were right, give them a chance to berate the players, even better it could get our manager sacked or the absolute pinnacle...our chairman, who has invested over £100m in our club will walk away.

I don’t want us to make it back into the top six because I just cannot take the utter humiliation we will go through next season if somehow we fluke it into the Premier League and I don’t want to go through the heartache of losing in the playoffs.

I have no faith in Rowett to sign the right players or make the right decisions tactically for the club going forward in either division but I suspect we’re stuck with him at least until the end of the year. 

I’d rather we stayed in this division, licked our wounds and started the process of clearing out the utter dross that we have accumulated over the past 4 years. I would hope Morris would sit Rowett down and tell him that the football his team played during the season was the worst he’d ever seen, and that he had better change his footballing philosophy to one of more creativity with pace in midfield & upfront or he would be out of a job by October. 

I don’t care what happens between now and the end of the season - I can’t wait for it to be over.

2 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I don’t want us to make it back into the top six because I just cannot take the utter humiliation we will go through next season if somehow we fluke it into the Premier League and I don’t want to go through the heartache of losing in the playoffs.

I have no faith in Rowett to sign the right players or make the right decisions tactically for the club going forward in either division but I suspect we’re stuck with him at least until the end of the year. 

I’d rather we stayed in this division, licked our wounds and started the process of clearing out the utter dross that we have accumulated over the past 4 years. I would hope Morris would sit Rowett down and tell him that the football his team played during the season was the worst he’d ever seen, and that he had better change his footballing philosophy to one of more creativity with pace in midfield & upfront or he would be out of a job by October. 

I don’t care what happens between now and the end of the season - I can’t wait for it to be over.

Do you not think the money from promotion could significantly help a rebuild? 

21 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Only if you are prepared to accept that we would in all likelihood come straight back down

I would very much kill to go up even at the cost of comming straight back down ,,, why ? 

1. It would lift the curse of bottlers who can’t / never will see a decent season out and win promotion ,, hoodoo lifted

2. It would be a massive financial boost for moving the club forward long term if handled properly 

one step at a time for me and the biggest step in front of our club to get over now is being a club that can and does get promoted to the premiership 

Archived