Can we still do it?

I think we are in a reasonable position to make playoffs if we do it would mean we probably finish 5th and therefore play villa who have been  inconsistent. If we got to the final it is then pot luck, the real question would be what on earth would Derby do then Spend like mad or save the cash and tweak (assuming we won the final)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

If we beat boro anything is possible. We have a game in hand and boro have to play milwall. But where is this revival in form going to come from? 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

You hope we lose? Wow.

well i want us to win but i dont want to make the play offs because he will keep rowett i say get igor in! he wants the job and he would be loads better then rowett and hes got the experience and imagen what type of players he could attract with his international experience 

2 hours ago, toddy said:

As results and performances have shown we are nowhere near good enough for promotion, just imagine the scores against us in the prem with this team!!!

Anyway, who actually thought at the start of the season we would be fighting for promotion come April? Not many I bet! 

Roll on to next season.....

You arguing for or against. As usual, you appear somewhat confused.

2 hours ago, Derbylad92 said:

i hope lose to be fair i want rowett out! i take only 1 win to the end of the season and that has to be cardiff and that only coz i hate warnock  

Yeah, proper staunch 'supporter' you are pal!

Let's look at the remaining games and see what we might be able to do.

I maintain that for 6th we need 75 points, we now have 68.  So where are those 7 points from a possible 12 going to come from?

In simple terms, it's 2 wins and a draw.

I have predicted elsewhere that we can still beat Barnsley (pleeeeeeease!) but that we probably won't get anything out of Villa.

SO - the spotlight now falls on the Boro/Cardiff games.

I had predicted that we would draw both of these but the fact is that we now need to win and draw against 2 of these 3 top sides to get to 75 (Boro/Villa/Cardiff).

We now have to see these 4 remaining games as being almost like a playoff campaign but with 4 different opponents, since in playoff terms finishing 7th is not much different from finishing 17th.

In simple terms, we have to go for it against Boro/Cardiff/Villa and not just settle for a point because it won't be enough.  IF we get 3 points from ONE of those then that does change things a bit and takes the pressure off somewhat.

I still think it will come down to the last day, and possibly also to goal difference.  We will start against Barnsley knowing that only a win will guarantee 6th place.  And we all know how much our recent teams love a bit of pressure....erm....oh dear....

I really want to believe that we can do it, but TBH I wouldn't put any money on it, much as it saddens me to admit it.

This is where the loss of Bryson/Martin/Russell begins to show.

Another magnificent opportunity wasted is how this season will appear in the future I think.

Come on guys, prove me wrong, please!

LR2

42 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

well i want us to win but i dont want to make the play offs because he will keep rowett i say get igor in! he wants the job and he would be loads better then rowett and hes got the experience and imagen what type of players he could attract with his international experience 

I must have missed it when Igor was getting Championship managerial experience?

What do you have to back up your statement that he is 'loads better than Rowett'.

Not sure how many players outside of Derby and Croatia would even have heard of Igor Stimac.

46 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Oh come on         ,,get igor in???? 

Why is it some can’t look beyond ex players or past managers ,, there is not one shred of ividence to suggest igor would be a successful manager at derby apart from the fact he used to be a good player for us there is nothing / nothing to put him on the radar as a poss manager of derby county or any other championship club come to that ,,,,

if rowett is to be sacked or resign I do not want any list of ex players or ex employees to be where we look to find our next manager 

Were at the preferable **** or bust stage of the season. 

This is going to  be a defining moment in the future of not just a number of players but maybe the management and whole future direction of  club.

It feels like after a few years we  have again reached yet another important crossroads for the club.

We've taken 10 points from the last 11 games. I don't how this collapse compares to others, but that is relegation form. Hankering after play offs and promotion seems like pie in the sky.

we need the money that promotion would bring, but we seem to be allowing our financial mismanagement to drive us towards chasing rainbows.

the fans need to calm down. Less of the expectation and abuse aimed at players, fans, manager, etc. We are not unique in having blown a good position. Bristol city, leeds, sheff utd have also fallen away. Its not down to this group of players not trying. The second half of the season is always tougher. Even when we were promoted under BD and Jim we accrued fewer points in the second half of the season than we did in the first. Maybe its fatigue, suspensions, injuries, pressure, people getting sick of being shouted at? Who knows. 

We should be planning for the medium and longer term, not gambling everything on fluking a promotion. 

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I really can't see it,the lads heads are firmly down and gr is clearly struggling to raise them again.....

I don't think we will win again this season if I'm honest which both saddens me and makes me very angry.

I'm going  to the Cardiff game no matter where I'd hope gary has learnt a little and just goes for it.

Problem is I don’t think we have the personnel to just go for it 

Don't give up just yet! I think it's worth looking closely at the fixtures all the teams around us have left. So many teams have to play each other. Bizarrely, as little as a couple of points from our next 3 games could be enough to still be in with a shout on the final day. I found it interesting to look at one of those championship table predictors online to see this.

Not going to happen on current form though. We just need a late flash of inspiration or change from somewhere. Something equivalent to the reintroduction of Seth just before the 2007 playoffs perhaps?

Agree that we need to win at least one of these next two games to stand a chance.

We may just scrape in with 74 points, so a win against Boro would be massive.

Millwall play Fulham this weekend, and the following week it's Millwall v Boro, so even a draw against Boro keeps us in it but means we probably need to beat Cardiff.

The door appears to be opening for one of the horses on the outside rail in PNE, Sheff Utd or Brentford - if any of those 3 win all 3 of their games then I think they will take the 6th spot.

If I had to predict, then even this staunch happy clapper is struggling to see us make it - I think we'll draw with Boro, lose or draw with Cardiff, lose or draw with Villa and Barnsley will become irrelevent.

Prediction:

5th - Boro

6th - Brentford

---

7th - Derby

8th - Millwall

10 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

It’s still in our hands. But can the players be lifted before our must win vs Boro? The game in hand gives us hope, along with Millwall’s tough run in, despite their strong form.

Somehow, the bookies still have us at 1/2 to finish in the top 6, and 13/8 to not. I hate betting against us, but there’s some serious value right there. 

If the players need to be lifted with just 4 games to go, then I give up.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

You arguing for or against. As usual, you appear somewhat confused.

Yeah, proper staunch 'supporter' you are pal!

Re read the first paragraph again. 

As usual you fail to read and understand. 

Can we still do it?   Of course, whilst it's mathematically possible there's always hope.

Will we do it? I very much doubt it. Apart from not being good enough this squad is full of perennial bottlers & will choke again.

Archived