Has Rowett lost the dressing room?

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

So that's McClaren, Clement, Pearson, McClaren mk2 and Rowett have all lost the dressing room.

When we people realised the common denominator. It's the players and their attitudes. 

The squad at the end of that first MAC era looks very different to the squad we have now. 

If it was the same 11-18 players I'd go with it being them that are at fault

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Spanish said:

We’ve been here season after season, different managers, different squads, different owners but no real change.  Perhaps it’s us, the supporters?  I don’t get chance to go to many matches but the ones I do go to I am surrounded by a number of people who appear to actually hate some of our players/owners/managers. Tbh this attitude is mirrored here.  Is it our fault are we getting what we deserve.  I am struggling to find another answer to this annual capitulation.  The fans are the only constant.  We behave like we are Barca with a bad manager and that a tweak will return us to fame and glory, not true.  Perhaps we need a spell of true desperation to reset our agenda.  I will now put on my tin hat, good night from Australia 

I think your “ I don’t get to many games” quote is the most pertinent. We have seen some good players, the odd great player, plenty of average players and lots of dross. The one thing that isn’t wrong with this club is the fan base. I mean the proper 22,000 thousand fanbase that turns up game in game out, year in year out, no matter what division. Ok the glory fans get a little flaky when our season goes tits up. But fans are not the problem!!!!!

It is poss that because of the instability and constant manager changes the derby dressing room is a very easy one for managers to lose ? It’s not all the same players now but new players have come in over a period and could well have had attitude shaped by the dressing room they came into ,it’s not like we got rid total on masse and brought a whole new fresh group in with no chance of infection ,,, don’t know if he has lost the dressing room but there is something very wrong at our club that this just keeps happening over and over 

54 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

......but I would never do anything than give my 100% support at a match.

Sadly, there are enough vociferous 'fans' that can't / don't / won't give 100% support though and it has to have an effect - not trying to defend the current poor style of play, just making an observation.  Too many pros talk about the impact of a toxic atmosphere for it to be ********.  Mind you, a lot of our so called fans may know better, after all they've played Sunday league so they know as well as any pro whether it can have an effect.;)

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

The players body language and his interview yesterday suggests there could be something in this, whether he's lost the whole dressing room or just a certain group within is going to determine whether he can turn it around. Lose a small group and it's potentially recoverable. Lose the whole group and your not coming back.

Sounds like players don't like to be told a few home truths about how dire they are... so they down tools and see if they can get the manager sacked. It's worked before so they expect it it will work again.  Just a theory. 

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Sounds like players don't like to be told a few home truths about how dire they are... so they down tools and see if they can get the manager sacked. It's worked before so they expect it it will work again.  Just a theory. 

Why would they need to do that when they were near the top around Christmas? Then Rowett started playing around in the Jan window. Remember when Billy did the same and nearly blew it?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would they need to do that when they were near the top around Christmas? Then Rowett started playing around in the Jan window. Remember when Billy did the same and nearly blew it?

I was only referring to the past 4 or 5 games. Fair point though, meddling too much is risky. 

Even if Rowett hadnt lost he dressing room...

If his football was entertaining despite the results...

If there were positive signs that gave us hope for next season...

Despite these, his dealings in the transfer window are diabolical and in my opinion set this club back years.

When players like Grabban and Mitrovic were available, we signed Cameron bloody Jerome. When we were crying out for central midfielders after selling Hughes and loaning out Butterfield, we then loan out Bryson.

When we needed an injection of goals, we loan out Martin (and replaced with Jerome).

And for all the positions that needed strengthening in Jan, we sign Palmer on loan and play him as a holding midfielder.

These are the reasons that ring massive alarm bells for me and have me fearing that he will re-sign Ryan Shotton in the summer.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

I don’t get chance to go to many matches but the ones I do go to I am surrounded by a number of people who appear to actually hate some of our players/owners/managers. 

True yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Well the warm weather training & morale boosting trip to Dubai clearly backfired spectacularly, since that was the start of the slump. 

Probably a coincidence. Can's see any negatives from a working break in a warmer climate. Even if there were some after effects, it would surely only last a week max. 

4 minutes ago, irobinson said:

All WBA playing for Darren Moore currently 

cant fault it

honest graft and team stuff

Tbf I wouldn’t wanna get the wrong side of big Dave haha but I hope he does well for them and is given a crack at the job next year 

22 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Well the warm weather training & morale boosting trip to Dubai clearly backfired spectacularly, since that was the start of the slump. 

I've thought about this for a while but too lazy to write it.

If I was into conspiracies, something went terribly wrong there. We'll never know...

I think the players and a lot of us have lost faith in Rowett’s tactics, big time. 

But that’s no excuse for some of the performances we’ve seen, regardless of what you think, we were in the play-off places until yesterday, we should still be fighting tooth and nail because a promotion (regardless of style, personnel etc) is massive for everyone’s careers.

I can see it from both sides, honestly.

I think the players must feel sabotaged to a degree, Rowett’s decision making and tactics since January have been crap. I’ve been embarrassed watching some games, before the dip even really happened. Bristol and Sheff Utd was where I really noticed the problem was serious, after that Reading home game acted as a warning. 

We were 1-0 up against United in the second half but let them back into the game by sitting back and just letting the ball bounce back off Vyds and Nuge, giving Sheff all the time in the world to find an equaliser. When they did, we clearly didn’t have an attacking plan to get a goal quickly. Balls over the top don’t constitute efficient attacking.

He’s hung them out to dry with those tactics during the bad run, he’s barely changed the way we play even when we’ve got 11 points from the past 15. If I was a player, I’d be so pissed off about this slow motion car crash, no wonder they’ve lost faith when we’re playing Burton with two holding midfielders and the same tactics we used against Wolves.

I get the ‘always start a winning team’ theory but with Rowett I think it’s emblematic of a larger trend of unflexibility. Tactically, Preston, Bolton, Wolves and Burton were all very different games but he’s done the exact same thing in all those games. It’s like he’s petrified of taking any sort of risks. Ffs we’ve been crying out for Palmer to start for so long now.

It’s not that soaking up pressure and counter-attacking isn’t a legitimate tactic, you just need to have more than one gear in a promotion push. Situations pop up where you need to go out and let’s say, get two goals against Fulham in the second half; Rowett’s tactics for those situations seem haphazard at best.

If I was a player, I’d resent Rowett for how badly we blew second place and his overtly cautious tactics regardless of opposition.

But equally, the players have made it look even worse recently. 

I said before the Sunderland and Burton games, no matter the tactics we should beat these comfortably with the talent we have. The application and desire simply hasn’t been there at this time of the season...again.

It shouldn’t matter the tactics are uninspired, we haven’t been midtable we’ve been well in the play-off’s with a massive incentive to play for. Even if you don’t think we’ve got what it takes to go up, you should be giving it your all when promotion is such a real possibility.

They’ve all let me down, they’ve let you down and most importantly, they’ve probably all got themselves sacked.

Don't know whether he's lost the dressing room or not but I do wonder about some of the players' attitudes. During the match against Wolves Vydra was being repeatedly fouled. I didn't find it funny instead it spurred me on to get fired up and certainly in the good old days that kind of behaviour would have brought out my fighting spirit and encourage me to try harder. However one of our players following one tackle on Vydra was seen laughing with the opposition and even patted him on the back. I don't consider such behaviour to be part of a fighting for it mentality. Until I see more of our players putting in an effort I really don't see why I should pay out very very hard earned wage fo watch them. Rant over!!

Archived