How would you get Palmer in your team?

irobinson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard one. People suggesting we have one holder with say Hudds and Palmer in the middle - think this would be defensively calamitous with the pace of our holding mids. Dropping the main striker and having Vydra and Palmer up top is an option, but we have seen in the past how Vydra can be rendered useless leading the line with no one ahead of him. 

For me this leaves two options.

1) Palmer slots into one of the wide positions where he has played before (although down the middle is his best position), say in place of Lawrence who for me has been poor recently. His goal doesn't detract from that. 

2) Change formation which i don't see Rowett doing and could be a risk considering how vital our last games are. Even though a three at the back - England style formation - with say Vydra, Palmer and Weimann playing the Lingaard, Rashford and Sterling roles would be interesting. 

He started v reading away and scored the 1st but was playing in the vydra role that day so that doesn't help.

Reading all the arguments it sounds like Gary rowett should consider him as a centre mid in home games where we don't need the defensive screen of 2.

It's going to be high risk trying something new now though. Think rowett has missed the boat which shows to me that he is not an innovator. 

Shame - we'll never know what might have been. 

What’s the point of fitting him in at the expense of taking out our only other player who has a go at being creative and attacking in Tom ? ( not 100 percent on it but as we saw still capable of match winning moments ,,,

4-5-1 ,,, vyds up front ,, hudds Ledley wiemen Lawrence and Palmer gets the free role ,,, a shape there capable of both being attacking with pace and guile and solid in midfield when defending ,,,, can’t see any other way that doesn’t cost us in attacking or defending situations ,,, you also then have nuge and Jerome on the bench if vyds not working well ,,, hudds pinging balls up to both pacey and tricky forwards ,,,, come Gary you know it makes sense

PistoldPete2
21 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Drop our 4th best player overall and second best player away from home?? (According to official stats)

Wished all this Tom hate would go away, does my head in.

I don't know how Lawrence can be our 4th best player. Ahead of Carson or vydra, huddlestone or Davies? Or Keogh ( Friday night excepted). Don't think so. Weimann s lack of end product is a worry but I still think he's offered more overall than Lawrence. Hopefully the goal on Monday will give him the confidence he needs to start producing. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't know how Lawrence can be our 4th best player. Ahead of Carson or vydra, huddlestone or Davies? Or Keogh ( Friday night excepted). Don't think so. Weimann s lack of end product is a worry but I still think he's offered more overall than Lawrence. Hopefully the goal on Monday will give him the confidence he needs to start producing. 

It’s not my opinion, I’m going off stats. Everyone has a favourite, everyone has a scapegoat.

16 hours ago, superzak said:

Drop Lawrence ..just because the only thing of note he has done in months is score a free kick should not be enough to keep him in the side

Brilliant idea... Wait until he scores a goal to give him a bit of a confidence boost then boooom.... Rip it away again by dropping him. Absolutely illogical. You don't persevere for months with him only to drop him once their is a faint glimmer. 

Appreciate he hasn't been as good as many fans expected but that is part of the issue... expectation. The massive plus for him is that he never hides. He always wants the ball regardless of how much he's struggling with confidence. It would be great if he clicks and hits his straps in time for the play offs. 

As for Palmer. I suspect he'll be limited to the bench away from home but there is a chance he'll be given more of a go at home. 

Rowett alluded to defensive stability that worked earlier in the season. I suspect he sees the rest of the season as needing to be reverted to that type. As long as we're not chasing the playoffs and actually maintaining our position I suspect you'll see a more conservative approach here on in. 

5 hours ago, Redcar said:

Drop our 4th best player overall and second best player away from home?? (According to official stats)

Wished all this Tom hate would go away, does my head in.

WhoScored’s system is massively flawed.

9 hours ago, archied said:

What’s the point of fitting him in at the expense of taking out our only other player who has a go at being creative and attacking in Tom ? ( not 100 percent on it but as we saw still capable of match winning moments ,,,

4-5-1 ,,, vyds up front ,, hudds Ledley wiemen Lawrence and Palmer gets the free role ,,, a shape there capable of both being attacking with pace and guile and solid in midfield when defending ,,,, can’t see any other way that doesn’t cost us in attacking or defending situations ,,, you also then have nuge and Jerome on the bench if vyds not working well ,,, hudds pinging balls up to both pacey and tricky forwards ,,,, come Gary you know it makes sense

Isn't this the same calamitous way that we constantly give possession away already. Long balls that are so easy to defend that we have struggled to score against any team that wants to defend against us.  Does my head in keep seeing us give the ball away.

3 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Isn't this the same calamitous way that we constantly give possession away already. Long balls that are so easy to defend that we have struggled to score against any team that wants to defend against us.  Does my head in keep seeing us give the ball away.

There’s a difference between lumping hopeful hoofs up to be fought for and the pinpoint kind of passes hudds pulls out when forwards move and create space for it 

On 2/2/2018 at 13:19, 86 points said:

Bit negative! Not like you @LazloW my old mucker! 

I know plenty of Chelski fans and the knowledgeable ones rate the kid alongside Chalobah and RLC. Their words not mine but I'd say that's pretty high praise. They also say he can be very effective out wide on either flank so perhaps this makes more sense than at first? I'd rather a loan like this than spending stupid money on McLean or the like if truth be told.

Worth a shot? If not maybe Vyds could play as a false 9 but I'd be reticent to mess him about given how well he's done as currently deployed.

2 hours ago, archied said:

There’s a difference between lumping hopeful hoofs up to be fought for and the pinpoint kind of passes hudds pulls out when forwards move and create space for it 

The only way to create space against most of the teams that we play against is to work the ball forward, on the ground, under control. As accurate as you like it is easy to defend a long ball when you are sitting deep. The only exception is if you have a player like Martin but then .........

23 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If he can't fit Palmer into this under achieving side at he minute he needs to have a chat with himself.

Why bloody sign him? 

I find that odd. I would have him in the team as he is obviously a cut above the other players in the squad.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

The only way to create space against most of the teams that we play against is to work the ball forward, on the ground, under control. As accurate as you like it is easy to defend a long ball when you are sitting deep. The only exception is if you have a player like Martin but then .........

The only way ? Total rubbish ,, movement off the ball creates space ,,,, the only exception is a player like Martin ,,, again the warped Martin love in forces what is not but will be twisted as being anti Martin ,,,, if he or a player like him is the only answer against teams that sit in why oh why is struggling on loan at reading instead of in the prem or at very least the centre of bidding wars between championship clubs??? And why were we very often bemoaning our inability to break down teams who sat deep when Mac was here too and Martin was a fixture ? 

Archived