How would you get Palmer in your team?

irobinson

On 03/04/2018 at 20:06, irobinson said:

Can we please get Casey in the team........do we want to win the playoffs!!!

need Case in the team....please be a tactician GR and make it work

Casey wont win you the playoffs by starting him in all 3 games and playing 90 mins.

But by doing so we might just lose the playoffs.

Incase you didnt realise, the playoffs are a knockout competition where the prize is everything you have worked all season for.

More often than not the football is tentative and really quite different from the rest of the season.

Rarely do you see open expansive football in the playoffs, its more like the Euros 2 years ago when you had 2 teams afraid to let the other get in behind them, and only where there were big gulfs in class between the sides did you see goals.

Id be more than happy to see Casey appear as a late sub.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By playing him in the Vydra role, pushing the otter up to play further forward. Instruct Kasey to get as close to Vydra as possible as often as possible. 

Why? Because they are our two most likely to do something creative and/or clinical so it makes sense to get as many minutes out of them as possible. Because of our traditional #9 type players, Winnall is injured, Martin is at Reading, Nugent is decent with a cracking attitude to the game but isn't outstanding and Cameron Jerome is Cameron Jerome.

6 hours ago, bcnram said:

Well obviously movement, I didn’t think I would have to take the comment down to that basic level for you. ?

Sorry I thought you posted that the ONLY way to create space was to take the ball forward on the ground under control ,, did you mean that the only way to use the space created by movement is to take the ball forward on the ground ? Contrary to what you think in terms of having to talk to me at a basic level on football I can assure you that I’ve watched the game enough to know that really good sides can hit long accurate passes that cut teams open and also play it short and cut them open that way too and it’s just that variety that makes them good ,,

if you want to have a proper debate on it without rose tint and blinkers then fair enough ,,,,,, for me I would very much like something in the middle ish between what we have this season ( though work in progress ) and what we had under mac1 ( whole time not just first partial season) ,, our style then was great to watch when on song but very very naive and and very fragile when not ,we were also very easily bullied out of games and outsmarted ,,, I remember Leicester ripping us a new one and making it look like men against boys when we were what we all thought were a very good side .

did consider adding an emoji that conveyed I thought I was smart and you were dumb but what would that say about me 

I think we have to shoehorn him in rather than change formation or move Vydra. Shame his main role is the only position we have an immovable player in. The realistic thing is to put him out wide, I think he can probably still influence things from there and add more than his competition. Might be worth a shout as a mobile striker or to add legs in central midfield too, not really seen enough to judge.

7 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Casey wont win you the playoffs by starting him in all 3 games and playing 90 mins.

But by doing so we might just lose the playoffs.

Incase you didnt realise, the playoffs are a knockout competition where the prize is everything you have worked all season for.

More often than not the football is tentative and really quite different from the rest of the season.

Rarely do you see open expansive football in the playoffs, its more like the Euros 2 years ago when you had 2 teams afraid to let the other get in behind them, and only where there were big gulfs in class between the sides did you see goals.

Id be more than happy to see Casey appear as a late sub.

Who said anything about getting him in all three games and playing him for 90 mins?

Why would we lose the playoffs?

im talking about somehow getting a CF, Vydra and him in the same team - or a combo of that

hes got more more ball skill than the rest

16 hours ago, archied said:

Sorry I thought you posted that the ONLY way to create space was to take the ball forward on the ground under control ,, did you mean that the only way to use the space created by movement is to take the ball forward on the ground ? Contrary to what you think in terms of having to talk to me at a basic level on football I can assure you that I’ve watched the game enough to know that really good sides can hit long accurate passes that cut teams open and also play it short and cut them open that way too and it’s just that variety that makes them good ,,

if you want to have a proper debate on it without rose tint and blinkers then fair enough ,,,,,, for me I would very much like something in the middle ish between what we have this season ( though work in progress ) and what we had under mac1 ( whole time not just first partial season) ,, our style then was great to watch when on song but very very naive and and very fragile when not ,we were also very easily bullied out of games and outsmarted ,,, I remember Leicester ripping us a new one and making it look like men against boys when we were what we all thought were a very good side .

did consider adding an emoji that conveyed I thought I was smart and you were dumb but what would that say about me 

?? the fact is that all these long balls we are playing are losing us possession constantly. We have nobody up front with the talent to control the ball instantly and consistently or with the awareness of what is happening around them. I see nothing wrong with a long pass to switch play occasionally but all these long balls into the channels are wasteful and boring. Keep it on the floor as much as pos, we have a beautiful pitch that is largely unused in the midfield area. Giving the ball away unnecessarily does my poor head in!!

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

?? the fact is that all these long balls we are playing are losing us possession constantly. We have nobody up front with the talent to control the ball instantly and consistently or with the awareness of what is happening around them. I see nothing wrong with a long pass to switch play occasionally but all these long balls into the channels are wasteful and boring. Keep it on the floor as much as pos, we have a beautiful pitch that is largely unused in the midfield area. Giving the ball away unnecessarily does my poor head in!!

Now I agree with you to a certain extent and also that derby / rowett must shoulder some blame because for me we don’t have the personnel to be able to mix it up unless we are right on song ,,, our midfield is really lacking in players who can comfortably pass the ball and move to receive it well enough slowly ,never mind with the kind of pace and intent that rowett says he wants ,,, a Hughes type player has been the biggest loss for me ,,, the Ledley hudds pairing in real tough games and away from home is great and has shown to work very well but for me at home hudds sitting and playing quarter back is enough then we need some youth and ability buzzing round midfield , I don’t go along with the whole rowettball thing at this stage ,, if the midfield issue is not at least attempted to be addressed in the summer then I will start to have concerns but at this point we don’t have the personnel to really play the way rowett seems to indicate he is looking to produce and I think he is doing not too bad with what we have ,,,

at this point I’ve seen him produce some very good and unexpected results in some big games and I’ve seen some decent stuff at times too ,, ive seen some dire stuff too that was/is  a throw back to the pre nige days of derby players not being able to find a team mate with a ten yard pass ,, it’s just for me I’m not ready to dismiss rowett a year into the job with what I’ve seen on balance ,, there’s some positives and negatives so far ,, there’s some who only see the negative s and I’m aware that they will never look at anything else

Carson

Pearce Keogh Davies

Baird Hudds Johnson

Palmer Vydra

Weiman Nugent

Those front four can rotate as they wish 1-3 or 3-1 and 2-2 or all 4 up top

Baird and Johnson (nearly went Anya) are the wing backs

Bench

Roos

Anya to cover wing backs

Thorne/Ledley to cover Hudds

Wisdom to cover the back three

Jerome/Lawrence/Thomas to cover attacking options

Can easily defend a lead by taking one of the front four off for Ledley or Thorne and going 3412

Carson

Pearce Keogh Davies

Weimann Huddlestone Ledley Anya

Palmer Vydra

Nugent

Wing backs. Can't see it working. He's a straight swap for Vyds otherwise.

Carson

Pearce      Keogh      Davis

Lowe                                                 Anya

Thorne     Palmer      Ledley

Nuge        Vydra

Archived