Some thoughts about restructuring squad if we don't go up

Gritty

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me:

GK - bring in a back up.

RB - no change. Babos back up.

LB - spend a bit on a new one, sell/get rid of in any way possible Forsyth and Ollson. Both lower half of the championship standard. Lowe as back up. 

CB - Bring in a younger CB to compete with Davies and Keogh. 

CM - Keep Ledley and Huddlestone, maybe Thorne as back up, but attempt to move on the rest of the senior players and bring in a younger player who can compete. Guy, Bird back up. Elsnik is better further forward. 

Wings - Keep Weimann, Lawrence,  move on Anya if possible, attempt to properly replace Ince with a signing and have Thomas as back up. 

Up front - Don't tell Jerome when the games are. Move on Nuge and Martin if possible and imo attempt to sign a new Striker or two. Vyds, Lawrence and Elsnik all more than capable in the number 10 role. 

1 hour ago, RamsFan10 said:

For me:

GK - bring in a back up.

RB - no change. Babos back up.

LB - spend a bit on a new one, sell/get rid of in any way possible Forsyth and Ollson. Both lower half of the championship standard. Lowe as back up. 

CB - Bring in a younger CB to compete with Davies and Keogh. 

CM - Keep Ledley and Huddlestone, maybe Thorne as back up, but attempt to move on the rest of the senior players and bring in a younger player who can compete. Guy, Bird back up. Elsnik is better further forward. 

Wings - Keep Weimann, Lawrence,  move on Anya if possible, attempt to properly replace Ince with a signing and have Thomas as back up. 

Up front - Don't tell Jerome when the games are. Move on Nuge and Martin if possible and imo attempt to sign a new Striker or two. Vyds, Lawrence and Elsnik all more than capable in the number 10 role. 

Some fair suggestions. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any revenue generation from sales to cover the purchase of:  decent left back, the young CB & CM players, an Ince replacement and a decent striker. The chairman wont be financing it, so it's not looking likely. 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Some fair suggestions. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any revenue generation from sales to cover the purchase of:  decent left back, the young CB & CM players, an Ince replacement and a decent striker. The chairman wont be financing it, so it's not looking likely. 

Yes, that's why I reckon we'll make only two material (£1mn+) purchases: winger and striker.  Funded by saving of wages / fees raised from sale of Martin, Blackman, Bryson, Butterfield, Anya, Olsson, Shackell, Bent. 

Well I found it quite well thought out. I'd disagree slightly with the view in Weimann. I'd personally move him on as a square peg/round hole player

For those that are criticizing for the view on Forsyth, as he's only just signed a new deal he's not going anywhere. It'd cost us more to pay off his bonuses that we'd get for selling him. 

Imo we need big changes. I’d look to revolutionise us into a 343 and so would look at making transfers to this end...

Goalkeeper: Keep Carson and Mitchell, release Roos and sign a new experienced backup

Right wing back: Sign a first choice, release Baird, keep anya as backup since no one will have him

Centre back: Keep wisdom, Keogh, Davies and Pearce, sign a new young ballplaying backup and younger competition for Davies, release shackell 

Left wing back: Sign a new first choice, blood Lowe in as cover, sell Forsyth and Olson

Centre midfield: Keep Huddlestone, Sign a mobile first choice alongside him to link play(big money), Keep ledley to cover and Sign another younger mobile midfielder to compete for places(could be elsnik), sell Johnson, butterfield, Hanson and Bryson and loan Thorne till he’s fit, also loan elsnik if he’s not yet ready

Left Forward: Keep Vydra as first choice, Lawrence to compete, loan out Thomas 

Right forward: New young signing (big money), weimann to cover, sell Blackman

Striker: New man (biggest money signing), keep martin and Nugent to cover, sell Jerome

I make that 9 in, 3 for big money including one massive striker signing. Can’t see it happening however, only really a dream scenario.  The 10 out will make wages room but won’t bring much in transfer fee wise which would cause a problem.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Imo we need big changes. I’d look to revolutionise us into a 343 and so would look at making transfers to this end...

Goalkeeper: Keep Carson and Mitchell, release Roos and sign a new experienced backup

Right wing back: Sign a first choice, release Baird, keep anya as backup since no one will have him

Centre back: Keep wisdom, Keogh, Davies and Pearce, sign a new young ballplaying backup and younger competition for Davies, release shackell 

Left wing back: Sign a new first choice, blood Lowe in as cover, sell Forsyth and Olson

Centre midfield: Keep Huddlestone, Sign a mobile first choice alongside him to link play(big money), Keep ledley to cover and Sign another younger mobile midfielder to compete for places(could be elsnik), sell Johnson, butterfield, Hanson and Bryson and loan Thorne till he’s fit, also loan elsnik if he’s not yet ready

Left Forward: Keep Vydra as first choice, Lawrence to compete, loan out Thomas 

Right forward: New young signing (big money), weimann to cover, sell Blackman

Striker: New man (biggest money signing), keep martin and Nugent to cover, sell Jerome

I make that 9 in, 3 for big money including one massive striker signing. Can’t see it happening however, only really a dream scenario.  The 10 out will make wages room but won’t bring much in transfer fee wise which would cause a problem.

Interesting. As you say, we don't have the money required and shifting the players you suggest wouldn't be easy. 

While I can't see Rowett changing formation so drastically, I agree it would be interesting to see us play 3 at the back and then play wing backs (532, 5311, 343 or whatever). I think that would address issue that our wingers are sub par. Lawrence could battle Vydra for second striker slot. 

I fear that Vydra would be the only player we have that would fetch decent money. If Morris is no longer willing or unable to put more money in then I think Vydra is likely to go to raise funds. 

Under those circumstances I'd go for a quality No. 10 and another 'winger'. Ideally a new left back if the money stretched that far. 

Archived