Since I was young (not)

voyager1

A DCFC supporter related question:

The season ticket advert features one of the main DCFC songs "since I was young"

Is there anyone who wasn't young when they started supporting DCFC?

If you started supporting DCFC at a later age, do you sing the song "since I was young" ? How do you feel about it?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a derby supporter the second I was conceived... never had a choice! So I blame my dad for the 25 years of dissapointment with moderate success here or there. Doesn't answer your question but I sing it with pride since I remember going to games when I was 4.

I feel like I let my son down so badly by forcing him to follow them... sorry son. 

My father is also to blame for this, he was born and lived in Manchester until his 30’s and has zero interest in football...so he could have either forced me not to like Football or at least made me follow United or City... 

I’ve supported Derby since January 1975 as a 14 year old, didn’t get much soccer news in Australia back then, but with Derby going well and in the news I started to learn more about my father being born in Derby and sent over to Oz as an orphan after the war. My first game was away to Fulham end of 2016 and this Saturday will be my first home game at home. So if you see a tall Aussie guy with tears in his eyes on Saturday,that’ll be me. Might not be much of a game for some people, but for some it will be a lifetime experience.

58 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

I’ve supported Derby since January 1975 as a 14 year old, didn’t get much soccer news in Australia back then, but with Derby going well and in the news I started to learn more about my father being born in Derby and sent over to Oz as an orphan after the war. My first game was away to Fulham end of 2016 and this Saturday will be my first home game at home. So if you see a tall Aussie guy with tears in his eyes on Saturday,that’ll be me. Might not be much of a game for some people, but for some it will be a lifetime experience.

Enjoy the game, whatever the outcome or performance. I’ve seen literally hundreds of games, but since moving to Spain 21 years ago i’ve been to 3 games. Treated each one as if it was my first ever.

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Enjoy the game, whatever the outcome or performance. I’ve seen literally hundreds of games, but since moving to Spain 21 years ago i’ve been to 3 games. Treated each one as if it was my first ever.

Mate, I’m literally counting down the minutes. I’m in Bergen at the moment, hopefully find a pub showing today’s game. Off to Somerset tomorrow and hit derby Friday.

Was 7 when I started supporting Derby. Up to then I supported Bobby Charlton (Utd!). First game I went to was a Burton one in the Northern Premier - we had to go home at half-time. I was in tears because it was too loud for me! :blink: 

Apparently a lot left on Friday night in a similar state but I don't think that was due to the volume. :whistle:

I was born in Havelock Road, about a 10 minute walk from the BBG, in 1963. My dad took me to my first game when I was about 3 years old. I’ve been totally hooked ever since. I remember clinging onto the floodlight pylon in the corner between the Popside and the Normanton End so that I could see above all the grownups. Before the Toyota Stand was built my dad built me a wooden seat (he chopped up the go cart that he had made me earlier to do it but I didn’t care) that slotted into some holes just above head height on the back of the Popside. I remember being picked out once on either “Match of the Day” or “Star Soccer”. DCFC was my first love, and like any first love always holds a special place in your heart.

Always a Ram - my family were Rams. - went to my first match at BBG - Derby vs West Ham 1971 - went so early - me and me Dad got our photos taken by the Ram and it was published the next week.

Saw both the great 70s teams - went to the "downfall of Derby" at Hillsborough  - age 10. Should have won the double

Best night - Charlie Georges hat-trick against Real Madrid

Supported them ever since........ COYR

2 hours ago, Stagtime said:

This should be printed and put on the changing room walls for Saturday 's match. IF this doesn't motivate the players, nothing will. 

9 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I was a derby supporter the second I was conceived... never had a choice! So I blame my dad for the 25 years of dissapointment with moderate success here or there. Doesn't answer your question but I sing it with pride since I remember going to games when I was 4.

Just how could he do THAT to you! Have you been in touch with the Authorities? {Childline Etc...}. There's still time to nail the bar-steward. :mellow:

Just wow! When you read stuff like this, you realise that the banner "Football is nothing without the fans" is spot on. The fans are football... @Stagtime, hope it matches your expectations and I'll buy you a beer if I see you in the Fans' park. 

What exactly does an Aussie guy look like, should we assume that you'll be carrying sandpaper and have a hat with corks hanging off the rim?

I remember the actual precise moment I became a Rams fan. At home in Burton on Trent, stood between the kitchen and the living-room with my two sisters; I was 4 years old, sister 1 was 7, sister 2 was 5. Sister2 said "who do you support?" {I guess we must have been talking football}. Before I had chance to answer {I don't think I knew any football team names anyway} Sister 1 said "You support Derby County don't you L". "Yes" I said. That was 1969. That was it. Derby were climbing up the old second division with a certain Clough & Taylor in charge. Christmas 1970 and I was opening a Derby County football kit and 2 years later I went to my first game at the BBG. My allegiance was cemented at that precise point my sister answered for me. Looking back, it felt pre-ordained. It was an instant bond that will never relinquish.

I've always loved football. I played at a good standard and got immense enjoyment from it. It's in my blood. 

I think this was my first game......the briefest of highlights, but i remember the hinton howitzer from behind the goal.

so i suppose i could blame alan Hinton for the next 48 years of devotion.

Archived