England squad for the Holland & Italy game..

Mr. P

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better performance than expected that, well controlled but we do seem to lack a bit of cutting edge still. Pleased with the three at the back system and how well the centre backs are doing but I much prefer a 343 myself, suits our players better. Get some proper players in the right positions into that system and we’ve got a competent tea , blanace in midfield and movement upfront are key now.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Better performance than expected that, well controlled but we do seem to lack a bit of cutting edge still. Pleased with the three at the back system and how well the centre backs are doing but I much prefer a 343 myself, suits our players better. Get some proper players in the right positions into that system and we’ve got a competent tea , blanace in midfield and movement upfront are key now.

Pickford

Dier, Stones, Maguire

Walker, Dele, Wilshire, Rose

Sterling, Kane, Rashford

??

Good performance? People must have watched a different game to me. Workman like. We did a whole lot of sideways and backwards passing, didn't really make a huge amount of progress. We had 3 shots on target. They had double that. Not sure how people are so impressed with it. I really it was turgid, negative, and I really expected more entertaining football. It's hardly going to get people excited for the world cup football like that.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Good performance? People must have watched a different game to me. Workman like. We did a whole lot of sideways and backwards passing, didn't really make a huge amount of progress. We had 3 shots on target. They had double that. Not sure how people are so impressed with it. I really it was turgid, negative, and I really expected more entertaining football. It's hardly going to get people excited for the world cup football like that.

After reviewing the stats thoroughly I found one really important one.... we won 1-0...!!  

And 

that

is

all

that

matters

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

After reviewing the stats thoroughly I found one really important one.... we won 1-0...!!  

And 

that

is

all

that

matters

Yes. Against a team that won't be going to the world cup. If we want to do anything at the world cup I'd imagine we'll have to play much better than that.

39 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They played some nice stuff in short spells, but like you say overall it really wasn't that great.

4 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

They played some nice stuff in short spells, but like you say overall it really wasn't that great.

Think it shows the low expectation of our national team. I don't share the viewpoint. I won't celebrate their mediocrity. 

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yes. Against a team that won't be going to the world cup. If we want to do anything at the world cup I'd imagine we'll have to play much better than that.

And it wasn't our strongest team out there. Very experimental, Walker at CB, Rashford and Sterling up front, Ox and Lingard as CMs, Gomez starting. There are lots of positives to take from the performance. You say they had double the amount of shots as us, most were long range efforts and the only had 1 half decent chance. 

10 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If only we had a world class striker we could add to this team.

Not saying England are perfect, far from it, but that was encouraging last night.

Loved the system. It would get some getting used to it, but Im glad Southgate blooded this in with the supposed “second string”

Also love the fact, that younger players are getting a chance, barring really Ashley Young, is there any other outfield player over the age of 30?

People much malign the England set up, from youth to senior sides, but ever since St George’s Park come along, I can only see positives. Yes we are playing catch up with others in how they are set up..... but we are improving from top to bottom. Euro 2020 is where you’d look and think..... yeah we have a decent shot of winning it. World Cup we could do well..... not saying we are the finished article. Mediocrity...... nah do me a favour, think some would have been gleeful if we got turned over last night. Yes Holland are a shadow of there former selves, so are Italy..... but this is where England was in 2014/16 in standard. They are starting again..... and they are playing catch up.

2020 I believe we will go close.

I for enjoyed the match last night, first one for a long time. We actually look like we have a vision. Holland really struggled to contain our 3 man midfield. There was plenty of good build up play but we were just lacking that final killer ball, the problem is though we never play the same team 2 games in a row so are the players meant to gel? Why not pick your strongest team possible for 2 games and try and find some cohesion.

Jordan Henderson took a lot of stick after getting named captain in the week but I thought he was brilliant last night, was always in the right position and used the ball very well. 

Its happening again (not The annual Derby collapse) I find myself believing we might actually do something this time, no doubt il be very disappointed again. Joys of being a Derby and England fan I guess.

Archived