Must win or must not lose?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

We have an owner that inherited a winning hand, the 13-14 wembley team, and has taken us backwards.

we have a team that has taken 13 points from 11 games since the turn of the year. A sustained run of relegation form.

hopefully we beat forest and start to build something worthy of the badge and the tradition of this club, which is to play attacking attractive football, because atm we seem to be nose diving into a decline.

The youth system may or may not deliver, but the decline of the squad will certainly create opportunities for some.

Inherited a winning hand? ,the 14/14 Wembley team ,,,, think you will find he inherited the losing hand ,, qpr were the winning hand , our 13/14 team were not good enough to go up as proven by the FACT they did not go up ,, now Mac and that team stayed on for another season and were the losing hand by an even bigger margin ,failing spectacularly to even make the play offs ? 

We have taken 61 points from ALL our games ,a sustained run of top 6 form ( blips for all at different times) ,

worthy of the badge ? What are we West Ham now ? Some fantasy tale of a Cinderella club renowned for wonderful flowing attacking football though never win bugger all ,, in the time I’ve watched us ( 50 years ) we have played all types of football , great teams ,poor teams ,good teams ,dire god awful teams ,, we’ve played attacking football ,we’ve played defensive football and every variation in between ,

sorry but your approach and thinking is the very thing that takes us backwards in precisely the way you accuse Mel Morris of taking the club backwards ,you want to see the club as being on its arse and accuse the owner of taking us backwards ,the manager the same because we have hit a poorish run of results and dropped from 2 nd to fifth place in the managers first full season in charge ,

lets get the Chinese to buy us , let’s get pep in , let’s get messy and co in ,

its fantasy dreamland and the very overblown expectations that make it so much harder for us to build anything long term 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, archied said:

Inherited a winning hand? ,the 14/14 Wembley team ,,,, think you will find he inherited the losing hand ,, qpr were the winning hand , our 13/14 team were not good enough to go up as proven by the FACT they did not go up ,, now Mac and that team stayed on for another season and were the losing hand by an even bigger margin ,failing spectacularly to even make the play offs ? 

We have taken 61 points from ALL our games ,a sustained run of top 6 form ( blips for all at different times) ,

worthy of the badge ? What are we West Ham now ? Some fantasy tale of a Cinderella club renowned for wonderful flowing attacking football though never wind bugger all ,, in the time I’ve watched us ( 50 years ) we have played all types of football , great teams ,poor teams ,good teams ,dire god awful teams ,, we’ve played attacking football ,we’ve played defensive football and every variation in between ,

sorry but your approach and thinking is the very thing that takes us backwards in precisely the way you accuse Mel Morris of taking the club backwards ,you want to see the club as being on its arse and accuse the owner of taking us backwards ,the manager the same because we have hit a poorish run of results and dropped from 2 nd to fifth place in the managers first full season in charge ,

pits fantasy dreamland and the very overblown expectations that make it so much harder for us to build anything long term 

Dead right ,all this crap about the Derby way of rose tinted mac glasses ,with free flowing football sweeping all before us,well i dont't know about you but i must have missed that somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Seaside Sam said:

Dead right ,all this crap about the Derby way of rose tinted mac glasses ,with free flowing football sweeping all before us,well i dont't know about you but i must have missed that somewhere.

I can’t deny that we had and I enjoyed a spell where we played some real nice stuff with Mac coaching in the main clough s team but we had some piss poor stuff mixed in with it too , now it’s become some rewritten wonderfull history like it the most and only successful period we have had ,,, god we failed to achieve the target of going up but it’s been turned into some kind of mythical holy grail that’s woven into the fabric of the club ,a style of football and formation a verve that derby are associated with being this long standing attractive entertains football club that plays the game the right way ( rolls eyes ) ,,

the derby way ,, ? The biggest mistake Morris has made uttering those words ,we now have a section of fans who believe there is some mythical long standing derby way and anything that does not match their opinion of what that is is to be sneared at ,turn your nose up at ,even if it’s 5/0 wins or sitting second in the division or even to the point of saying if rowett takes us up he will be found out and be shown not up to it ,

christ sakes we are derby county ,, a football club ( our football club and we are proud) that has had success but probably spent more of its history outside the top flight than in the top flight ,certainly recent history ,

i used to think the one thing nobody could deny was our fans ,our tribe were top flight ,,, now I’m fast losing faith in that 

58 minutes ago, archied said:

worthy of the badge ? What are we West Ham now ? Some fantasy tale of a Cinderella club renowned for wonderful flowing attacking football though never win bugger all ,, in the time I’ve watched us ( 50 years ) we have played all types of football , great teams ,poor teams ,good teams ,dire god awful teams ,, we’ve played attacking football ,we’ve played defensive football and every variation in between ,

its fantasy dreamland and the very overblown expectations that make it so much harder for us to build anything long term 

Mac took over the 13/14 team a quarter of the way through the season and fashioned it into a team that was fantastic to watch, prolific in goals and missed out on promotion by a freak goal....but still a fantastic effort dragging the team up from meh to the best footballing team in the division that year.

We were more than good enough to be promoted that year and if Mac had had the reins from day one would have been likely to at least get promoted in the automatics.

The 2014/15 team list its key goalscorer and defenders but was still a great team...and still played good football.

It's all very well defending rowettball archied,no problems with that,but why slag off the best football we have played in 20 years to back up the argument...there's no comparison.

1 hour ago, archied said:

The wembley team had a very good core group. We ditched that for inferior alternatives. The Derby Way was meant to acknowledge a tradition of fluent attacking Football. The memorable players tend to be not the biggest but players who are tidy with the ball.

You have put a lot of words into my mouth. ignoring all the rubbish about expectations of winning, cindarella, west ham and chinese owners, in my view we are losing our way. When Clement was sacked the explanation given was that he was chasing short termism and promotion, whereas the emphasis should have been on performance. Yet what we are seeing now is short termism with veteren sigings, probably the oldest team we've ever had, and as for performance - well - even possession is a dirty word. Fulham have shown that there is an alternative which can be successful and they are nearer to what we were, than we are.

Rage on brother.

10 minutes ago, Davide said:

I can’t see how a draw will be that helpful, it just prolongs a really bad run. We need wins. A draw is another poor result against a team in the bottom half. A defeat would be horrible. 

I think rather a lot of us would take a draw at forest to be honest ( a win is desirable)

A draw would only be handy if we came from behind to earn it in the closing minutes but I don’t think we do that anymore do we ?

You know, after reading the Archied/Ramnut posts I’m astonished it hasn’t occurred to people this cautious approach we’re seeing is the best it’s going to get. When the squad elders have to be replaced it’ll be younger versions of the same won’t it ? This is Rowett’s chosen approach and one I can’t imagine him varying despite his rhetoric. 

I’d love a win tomorrow, it goes without saying, it would be great to mark their card and show ‘em who’s the boss but Notts are no threat to us, yeah they can gob off for a bit but I’m coming around to beating Boro is more important to me than bragging rights and that is the game we absolutely must win.

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

I would rather lose trying to win, than draw trying to avoid defeat.

whatever happened to ambition ?

the club is on its arse due to really poor decision making, and the poorest decision of all is the tactical strategy to sit back, packthe team with dross, and hope to snatch an undeserved winner.

This is a position I'm sure many agree with but doesn't seem to be GR's tactical style. You surely can't be a fan of him at the moment then?

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

I would rather lose trying to win, than draw trying to avoid defeat.

whatever happened to ambition ?

the club is on its arse due to really poor decision making, and the poorest decision of all is the tactical strategy to sit back, pack the team with dross, and hope to snatch an undeserved winner.

^this is milk and honey in words. 

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

A draw would only be handy if we came from behind to earn it in the closing minutes but I don’t think we do that anymore do we ?

You know, after reading the Archied/Ramnut posts I’m astonished it hasn’t occurred to people this cautious approach we’re seeing is the best it’s going to get. When the squad elders have to be replaced it’ll be younger versions of the same won’t it ? This is Rowett’s chosen approach and one I can’t imagine him varying despite his rhetoric. 

I’d love a win tomorrow, it goes without saying, it would be great to mark their card and show ‘em who’s the boss but Notts are no threat to us, yeah they can gob off for a bit but I’m coming around to beating Boro is more important to me than bragging rights and that is the game we absolutely must win.

Beating Boro to me is always more important!!! Sorry!?

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This is a position I'm sure many agree with but doesn't seem to be GR's tactical style. You surely can't be a fan of him at the moment then?

I think he was right to try something different to 433 with luxury wingers. After seeing the wonderful football that hoffenheim produced with 4141 i would like us to have tried that. One holding midfielder and four attacking midfielers with full-backs bombing on too.This is the system fulham played and indeed the system that villa played today v wolves. 

our system has two luxury holding players and asks alot of the four attacking players. There is a void in midfield. we tend to sit deep and concede possession. 

If one of the two holding players would push up at times, it might not be so bad. If we didn't resort to hoofing it, it might not be so bad. But gary doesn't really seem to want us to pursue anything other than a counter-attacking style. 

3 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Beating Boro to me is always more important!!! Sorry!?

No need to be sorry mate, we all have different priorities albeit with the same outcome in the end, ie our club doing well. I just worry Boro are getting too close for comfort now and out of the two games Boro is the more important win on this occasion.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think he was right to try something different to 433 with luxury wingers. After seeing the wonderful football that hoffenheim produced with 4141 i would like us to have tried that. One holding midfielder and four attacking midfielers with full-backs bombing on too.This is the system fulham played and indeed the system that villa played today v wolves. 

our system has two luxury holding players and asks alot of the four attacking players. There is a void in midfield. we tend to sit deep and concede possession. 

If one of the two holding players would push up at times, it might not be so bad. If we didn't resort to hoofing it, it might not be so bad. But gary doesn't really seem to want us to pursue anything other than a counter-attacking style. 

time to gamble then. Play one holding midfielder and have an extra supporting attacking midfielder. Gary i hope you read these threads, go for it, starting with the Red Dogs.

Archived