Must win or must not lose?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a win, a big win to boost the confidence for the rest of the season. Hope Cardiff, Villa and Fulham have peaked too soon and fall away in their form for the rest of the season. Now the time to hit the ground running and starting at Forest tomorrow.

7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Mac took over the 13/14 team a quarter of the way through the season and fashioned it into a team that was fantastic to watch, prolific in goals and missed out on promotion by a freak goal....but still a fantastic effort dragging the team up from meh to the best footballing team in the division that year.

We were more than good enough to be promoted that year and if Mac had had the reins from day one would have been likely to at least get promoted in the automatics.

The 2014/15 team list its key goalscorer and defenders but was still a great team...and still played good football.

It's all very well defending rowettball archied,no problems with that,but why slag off the best football we have played in 20 years to back up the argument...there's no comparison.

Come on kash you know better than that , I’m not one to rubbish macs good bits but let’s have honest balance ,this was not the clough senior team ,it was not the Dave Mac team ,it was not the Jim smith team ,perhaps the burley team? But it has been put on a pedestal and had history re written to wipe out the poor bits ,,, we were not good enough to win the playoff final ,a ten man harry redknapp team did a job on us and exposed our naivety,,, gutted as I was ,it was no freak goal ,be honest didn’t you just know it was comming and going to end that way ? Good side but we didn’t have the nouse to win the game that was there for us on a plate ,whether that was managerial decisions in starting line up or subs or players on the park we fell short and that’s the bottom line ,

im not over praising rowett either ,he has a lot to prove in a tough job but I’m not into making that job far tougher by romanticising our recent history , who ever is manager is going to need time and not need a crowd on his and the teams back based on an unbalanced view of our recent failed promotion challenge s

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

I think he was right to try something different to 433 with luxury wingers. After seeing the wonderful football that hoffenheim produced with 4141 i would like us to have tried that. One holding midfielder and four attacking midfielers with full-backs bombing on too.This is the system fulham played and indeed the system that villa played today v wolves. 

our system has two luxury holding players and asks alot of the four attacking players. There is a void in midfield. we tend to sit deep and concede possession. 

If one of the two holding players would push up at times, it might not be so bad. If we didn't resort to hoofing it, it might not be so bad. But gary doesn't really seem to want us to pursue anything other than a counter-attacking style. 

Ah now your talking football in the real world not past romance ( really no offence meant ) 

i have to agree very much on the two luxury holding midfielders point especially when we have overlooked any other type midfielder to change things up if needed ,I have already said in another thread that injuries in that position may just help force our hand to change that though we are thin on the ground ,, 442 diamond with one holding ,Palmer at the tip and vydra up front is about the best I can see at this point ,,,it’s too early in rowetts time for me to make real judgements of the kind some are making 

8 hours ago, archied said:

I can’t deny that we had and I enjoyed a spell where we played some real nice stuff with Mac coaching in the main clough s team but we had some piss poor stuff mixed in with it too , now it’s become some rewritten wonderfull history like it the most and only successful period we have had ,,, god we failed to achieve the target of going up but it’s been turned into some kind of mythical holy grail that’s woven into the fabric of the club ,a style of football and formation a verve that derby are associated with being this long standing attractive entertains football club that plays the game the right way ( rolls eyes ) ,,

the derby way ,, ? The biggest mistake Morris has made uttering those words ,we now have a section of fans who believe there is some mythical long standing derby way and anything that does not match their opinion of what that is is to be sneared at ,turn your nose up at ,even if it’s 5/0 wins or sitting second in the division or even to the point of saying if rowett takes us up he will be found out and be shown not up to it ,

christ sakes we are derby county ,, a football club ( our football club and we are proud) that has had success but probably spent more of its history outside the top flight than in the top flight ,certainly recent history ,

i used to think the one thing nobody could deny was our fans ,our tribe were top flight ,,, now I’m fast losing faith in that 

You damn with faint praise. Of course the 13/14 team was largely Clough's, what marked McClaren out was how much more he got from the very same players.

I took the Derby Way to be along the lines of Clough Senior - passing football and not hoofball. The positions of McClaren and Rowett on that spectrum are fairly clear.

And on a point of historical accuracy, we have spent the majority of our time in the top flight and only 14 clubs have spent more.

we have to win no excuses, they think they will beat us and possibly favourites to win because of the form but we need this so much if they can't get up and play the game of the season to get our season back on track against these then none of our players deserve to play for us! they are going to attack us hard first 10 mins to put the pressure on us more we need a early goal to settle us down but KEEP ATTACKING and don't just try and defend 

Archived