Vydra and Palmer- how to work them together?

BridgfordRam

Somehow we have to get these two in a team together- Kasey Palmer has been a real spark so far, by far and way the best creative force in the team, and Vydra is the joint-highest goalscorer in the division, so leaving him out is madness.

Of course, we might think that Vydra would struggle as the main striker, but given that a) Jerome and Nugent are both out of form, and b) Weimann and Lawrence are both confidence players who have performed decently and have gotten a few goals and assists recently, why not try Vydra again as that front man. Have a front midfield of Weimann, Palmer and Lawrence behind him. It may not have worked for Pearson and McClaren when Vyrda was the striker but who did we have behind him? No one like Palmer, so is it worth a go?

Instead of playing a style which has the forwards back to goal, why not lay direct and driving at the opposition (like the goal against QPR, the Lawrence and Palmer goals against Reading etc), and scare them with pace and creativity. 

Food for thought?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly my thoughts @BridgfordRam, we've got nothing to lose trying Vydra up top given Nugent's struggles and I'd rather Jerome be used as an impact sub. Better to try Palmer in behind Vydra, rather than shoehorning Palmer into one of the wide roles.

I'd also be tempted to give Anya a go instead of the out of form Lawrence, but might just give Lawrence one last crack - if he ends up being the match winner against Forest it could be just the catalyst he needs to get him going.

The thing is, we'll be going up against a Karanka defense that's getting it's act together.  They won't leave any space in behind, so the ball will have to go wide.  Once it does, they'd have no problems defending high balls into Vydra.  Plus I can't see GR suddenly developing a Man Ci-teh tika-taka style in the next 3 days.

I'd personally dump Johnson back to the bench and play Palmer as one of the two with Vyrda as the No10.  They're quite sprightly in midfield so we'll need a bit of pace to deal with them...

Today's DT suggesting Ledley and Thorne out, Huddlestone struggling.

And if that's the case I would go 442 which I think could allow them both to play

Carson

Wisdom

Keogh

Davies

Olsson

Weimann

Palmer

Johnson

Lawrence

Vydra

Jerome

Far too attacking but might actually get a goal or two!!

I don't see how it can't work {forgive the double negative}...except that of course Vydra's natural inclination is always to hang off back a little and receive the ball to him from further up...he then "thrusts" forward. Surely it's a case of a little bit of choreography on the training ground...surely Weimann's goal versus QPR is a case in point; much of that was about Palmer driving forward through QPR defenders so in effect it's likely to become playing as a front 2... Sometimes, it takes a player just to proactively take the game to the opposition rather than sticking with some "abstract" coaching manual page written by Charles Hughes at the FA 47 years ago...

At the end of the day, far, far too much emphasis is place on "modern" formations FFS. Take Fulham at home last week. Edward, my 15 year old spotted after 25 minutes that Fulham could have held a fookin' tea dance across midfield such was their superiority in space and time...and asked me what GR would do about it... :mellow:

25 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Exactly my thoughts @BridgfordRam, we've got nothing to lose trying Vydra up top given Nugent's struggles and I'd rather Jerome be used as an impact sub. Better to try Palmer in behind Vydra, rather than shoehorning Palmer into one of the wide roles.

I'd also be tempted to give Anya a go instead of the out of form Lawrence, but might just give Lawrence one last crack - if he ends up being the match winner against Forest it could be just the catalyst he needs to get him going.

I would definitely start Anya in place of Lawrence we can't keep waiting for him to find form poor again at QPR  Plus either Forsyth  or Olsson going to need some help against Cash their best player Lawrence won't be much help there. Maybe leave Vydra ere he is and put Palmer up top can't be any worse than half fit Nugent or Jerome 

One thing that would never happen, but given the chance I'd like to see if it would work, would be a 4-3-2-1 (aka The Christmas Tree). Bear with me. I think it would allow Vydra and Palmer to work together, even allow Lawrence to have more of an effect on the team.

Stick with our regular back 5, our fullbacks are attacking enough to give the width to this formation. A midfield three with Thorne, Ledley and Huddlestone as first choice when fit, Johnson could do a job in a midfield three on the left I think.

Palmer and Vydra linking the midfield and attack with Palmer sitting deeper and Vydra running the channels when Huddlestone has the space to play his pin point passes over the top. Lawrence could do a job more centrally as he certainly doesn't run down the wing like our current formation needs him to do.

Then one of Nugent, Jerome or even Weimann up top depending on the style of play we need. Nugent would be the most balanced option at the point of the formation, Martin would be the best option, but hey ho.

Of course this would never see the light of day, but I tried it on Champ/Football Manager 2012/13 or whatever and I went unbeaten for 3 seasons and won back to back European Cups. History makers.

If you're reading Gary/Mel. You know it makes sense.

29 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Today's DT suggesting Ledley and Thorne out, Huddlestone struggling.

And if that's the case I would go 442 which I think could allow them both to play

Carson

Wisdom

Keogh

Davies

Olsson

Weimann

Palmer

Johnson

Lawrence

Vydra

Jerome

Far too attacking but might actually get a goal or two!!

Who is going to win the ball ?

Truth of it is Rowett will not change his philosophy/tactics at this point in the season unless we are chasing a play off place.

Whilst we sit 5th he will not hit that panic button. 

For the record I think both Palmer and vydra could play in the same line up but it would mean a change of formation. That ain’t gonna happen ! 

The reason people are getting frustrated is, all we want are the best footballers on the pitch together.

Whilst I understand balance in a team is important, surely if currently our on form players are our forwards we must take the pressure off keogh and company by keeping the ball further up the pitch for as long as possible. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I'm feeling sick at the thought of Bradley Johnson and Jamie Hanson being our defensive midfield on Sunday.

We'd be missing composure and passing ability but gaining mobility and a touch more aggression, in a local derby, wouldn't be the end of the world...

He’ll drop Lawrence for Palmer on the left, let’s him cut in to occupy the middle of the field where he’s at his best. Lawrence had a chance to build on the performance against Reading but hasn’t, happily see him dropped. Too much pressure on him to be such a key creator so early in his Derby career.

I’d be open to Palmer and Vydra up top together, I could see how that could work if they kept it fluid and the defence were always guessing which one of them was dropping and which one of them was going in behind.

Don’t think Rowett will experiment with anything like that against Forest in what is our next season defining game, he’ll want someone dependable and experienced in Jerome.

But if Palmer/Vydra sharing 9/10 did work, we could ride that into the play-off’s and stand a good chance. On paper that sounds good, Huddersfield fans mentioned Palmer played in 9 a few times and did well.

10 hours ago, BridgfordRam said:

Somehow we have to get these two in a team together- Kasey Palmer has been a real spark so far, by far and way the best creative force in the team, and Vydra is the joint-highest goalscorer in the division, so leaving him out is madness.

Of course, we might think that Vydra would struggle as the main striker, but given that a) Jerome and Nugent are both out of form, and b) Weimann and Lawrence are both confidence players who have performed decently and have gotten a few goals and assists recently, why not try Vydra again as that front man. Have a front midfield of Weimann, Palmer and Lawrence behind him. It may not have worked for Pearson and McClaren when Vyrda was the striker but who did we have behind him? No one like Palmer, so is it worth a go?

Instead of playing a style which has the forwards back to goal, why not lay direct and driving at the opposition (like the goal against QPR, the Lawrence and Palmer goals against Reading etc), and scare them with pace and creativity. 

Food for thought?

Football is a simple game, often over complicated by pundits and coaches who think they have mastered a black art. Palmer and Vydra are obviously talented players and it shouldn't need a Q&A with Stephen Hawking to fathom it out. 

On 08/03/2018 at 11:52, ramsbottom said:

I wonder if GR would have the balls to play both of them in a 3-4-2-1???  Sadly, I doubt it...

He hasn't got the balls to play 3-4-2-1. Come hell or high water we're playing 4-2-3-1 - it's the Derby Way!

Archived