Are you now entertained......

Mafiabob

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I wanted to be entertained I'd go to see a show. I go to watch Derby because that's who I support, through good, bad and indifferent times - every match I go to my hopes are high, expectations less so, irrespective of who the manager is or what style the team plays.

To fans who moan about not being entertained i would say "either accept what supporting a team involves or don't go, find something else". That's not to say you shouldn't offer your opinion or criticise if you see fit - no one gets everything right every time.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If I wanted to be entertained I'd go to see a show. I go to watch Derby because that's who I support, through good, bad and indifferent times - every match I go to my hopes are high, expectations less so, irrespective of who the manager is or what style the team plays.

To fans who moan about not being entertained i would say "either accept what supporting a team involves or don't go, find something else". That's not to say you shouldn't offer your opinion or criticise if you see fit - no one gets everything right every time.

Brilliant couldn't agree more  To many on here think this manager or that player shouldnt be at the club but until that person is a failure we should support them Either that or go shopping on a Saturday 

31 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

The question was though are you entertained, not do you expect to be entertained.  

I have watched Derby long enough to know that there are going to be indifferent times, does not stop me being supportive when going to a match or renewing my ST for the past 40 years.

What does disappoint me is the direction the club has taken, since Mel has taken over, gone seems to be the Derby way, several managers later, we now have someone in charge who has brought in ex prem players over our own youth product or players that I could associate with, plays football more akin to stoke than Derby, and has generally made the match day experience a bore.  

I liked the days of Smith, cox, Burley and SM for example, GRs football doesn’t entertain me and an ethos that I don’t associate with us, just imo of course :-)

That said, if he gets us promoted, hats off he has done the job asked of him.

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Well said. Frankly when I go to a football match as a derby fan all I want to do is see us win. Sure I’m sure we’d all love to play like Barcelona but the simple reality is we’re not there as a neutral looking for a ‘good game’ imo, we’re there to see our team win. It’s not like watching el Clasico on sky where you’d want to see an entertaining game of footy, we’re there wanting one team to get the points so we can finish as high as possible.

Thats not to say when things don’t work you can’t debate the reasons behind that, as often poor styles of play can contribute to bad results. But for some fans to become so disenfranchised even when we’re winning purely because of some perceived hoofball (which is made up ******** btw) just seems bizzare to me...

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

?

Good thread.

Something we’ve discussed here and along the lines of who do we pay to watch.

Always love watching Keogh,it’s like watching the harmless nutter at the park who comes and tells you about when he lived with Jesus.

Huddlestone is largely a pleasure,great footballer.

Vydra,Ledley,Baird,Wisdom,Lawrence,Davies,Carson,Nuge,CJ and Palmer are worth paying money to watch.

George Thorne could take a dump in the centre circle and I’d just be happy he was back.

So overall yes but only for so many minutes every game.

That amount of minutes has increased gradually over the course of the season.

Still need the needles to poke in my eyes but hopefully not next season.

27 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

The question was though are you entertained, not do you expect to be entertained.  

I have watched Derby long enough to know that there are going to be indifferent times, does not stop me being supportive when going to a match or renewing my ST for the past 40 years.

What does disappoint me is the direction the club has taken, since Mel has taken over, gone seems to be the Derby way, several managers later, we now have someone in charge who has brought in ex prem players over our own youth product or players that I could associate with, plays football more akin to stoke than Derby, and has generally made the match day experience a bore.  

I liked the days of Smith, cox, Burley and SM for example, GRs football doesn’t entertain me and an ethos that I don’t associate with us, just imo of course :-)

That said, if he gets us promoted, hats off he has done the job asked of him.

Ok. To try and answer the question, all I can say is it never crosses my mind to ask myself 'was I entertained today', simply because it isn't a factor in my support to Derby County. If that still doesn't provide what the OP was asking then I can't say yes or no.

As far as I'm concerned, the Derby way is a load of bull**** but the owners' critics are only to ready to use it to beat him with. He's made mistakes definitely but don't we all? Yes the days of Jim Smith and Arthur Cox were, for most of their tenure, exciting but for those who followed the club through the Maxwell era and more recently that of the Three Amigos, the security and long-term future of the club is in safe hands.

Nope I’m not entertained over the last few games ,I’m bloody frustrated as f#ck ,, the romance of being producers of exciting games for the neutrals but failing  wears very thin very fast ,, at this point we are back to being that team that you just know are going to concede and throw it away ,why?How? For me you can stick entertainment up your arris , get back to dogged patient organised wins thank you very much 

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Well thankfully we don't have to accept what you say nor your definition of what being a supporter involves.. What is wrong with wanting to be entertained ? Some Derby teams have provided great entertainment and there are times we keep on supporting even when the football is drab and hope to see us win. Just cos Rowetts cautious , limited football is unravelling doesn't mean we can't still say we hope for better. If your sensitive soul can't take negative comment don't read forums. I don't go to a match BECAUSE I am a football supporter, though I am and also an optimist. I go to enjoy it and lots of things contribute including entertaining  skilful  football.

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Ok. To try and answer the question, all I can say is it never crosses my mind to ask myself 'was I entertained today', simply because it isn't a factor in my support to Derby County. If that still doesn't provide what the OP was asking then I can't say yes or no.

As far as I'm concerned, the Derby way is a load of bull**** but the owners' critics are only to ready to use it to beat him with. He's made mistakes definitely but don't we all? Yes the days of Jim Smith and Arthur Cox were, for most of their tenure, exciting but for those who followed the club through the Maxwell era and more recently that of the Three Amigos, the security and long-term future of the club is in safe hands.

Yes agree with all that How anybody can blame Mel is beyond me Adamram had some good points till he said we play more like Stoke akin to Derby he either lacks football knowledge or doesn't really go Don't think we even have anybody who reach the penalty area with a throw in And certainly have a lot of under 6ft players hardly call Huddlestone Vydra Lawrence Stokie type players would you 

On 25/02/2018 at 14:55, Wolfie20 said:

Very well put sir ,besides it wouldnt be Derby if we didnt continually f#ck ourselves over .Expectations ,anticipations, disappointment,relief,surprise and continual optimism make this a great club to support,all be very frustrating at times?

23 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Yes agree with all that How anybody can blame Mel is beyond me Adamram had some good points till he said we play more like Stoke akin to Derby he either lacks football knowledge or doesn't really go Don't think we even have anybody who reach the penalty area with a throw in And certainly have a lot of under 6ft players hardly call Huddlestone Vydra Lawrence Stokie type players would you 

I'd say Huddlestone is more of a Stokie type player than Shaqiuri, though.

I'd love us to sign him when we pass them.

On 25/02/2018 at 16:19, Wolfie20 said:

As far as I'm concerned, the Derby way is a load of bull**** but the owners' critics are only to ready to use it to beat him with. 

Well maybe he shouldn’t have made his vision so public if he wasn’t going to stick to it…

The entertainment word isn’t overly accurate of what people have issues with. It doesn’t have to be gung ho all out attack, I’m not sure anyone’s asking for that. People wanted improvement in many areas which weren’t too easy on the eye earlier on in the season. I don’t think that’s too much to ask from your manager.

I think things have improved, Huddlestone growing into the season has a big say in this IMO, finally a bit of quality in the middle of the park. Ledley’s been a good addition along side of him too. Last few games have been a bit ropey but better in the main.

Do I think we play good football? Not particularly still but as I’ve said all year it doesn’t really matter, nobody is that upset whilst the team is doing ok. Results keep fans happy whichever way you play. 

GR’s job is to continually improve performances so as long as we get the line graph going bck in the upwards direction and not the one we’ve seen going down in the last few weeks everyone’s a winner. 

Archived