Full Backs

kingsy1884

6 minutes ago, Doodle said:

It only works if we go up like Leicester did. Mel is either being sensible or lacking ambition, depending on your point of view. He has made big mistakes and wasted lots of HIS money. But he’s learned and I suspect he’s being sensible, avoiding embargoes and keeping his powder dry for another tilt at promotion next season when  the new 3 year cycle starts again 

I wonder whether that's why the contracts have been shorter recently. 18 months for jerome/ledley?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I wonder whether that's why the contracts have been shorter recently. 18 months for jerome/ledley?

As I said, I think he’s learning. 18 months may be 12 months too long for Jerome, but I suspect he wouldn’t have come for a deal to the end of the season. I personally think we need to utilise loans more. Ok it’s money spent on short term gains, but I will be shocked if like Bent, Jerome does anything more than warm the bench for most of the last year of his contract. 1.5 million on Jerome plus wages could have got us 2 good loans for this season. I would swap the Jerome deal for a loan left back and striker in the blink of an eye 

Cannot understand how Olsson kept his place in today’s team.

He looks scared to get stuck in to any challenge and as soon as he is shown inside he is so one footed that he just plays it backwards.

Leeds purposely let him inside every time knowing what he’d do.

Yes Forsyth was poor against Wednesday and hasn’t looked anywhere near the level he was before his injury but purely for his aerial threat and ability to put in a tackle he has to play! 

4 minutes ago, Doodle said:

As I said, I think he’s learning. 18 months may be 12 months too long for Jerome, but I suspect he wouldn’t have come for a deal to the end of the season. I personally think we need to utilise loans more. Ok it’s money spent on short term gains, but I will be shocked if like Bent, Jerome does anything more than warm the bench for most of the last year of his contract. 1.5 million on Jerome plus wages could have got us 2 good loans for this season. I would swap the Jerome deal for a loan left back and striker in the blink of an eye 

I agree with that.

We used loans much better with Maclaren . Not saying that makes him a better manager but I can't imagine Mel wouldn't have looked at that player resource model and wonder why it couldn't apply now.

9 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I agree with that.

We used loans much better with Maclaren . Not saying that makes him a better manager but I can't imagine Mel wouldn't have looked at that player resource model and wonder why it couldn't apply now.

Maclaren could entice a better quality of loans from better teams. Like you, that’s not a reflection of either managers ability. Purely a reflection of the relative “ stock” of the managers. Maclaren was ex England manager  and a winner of the Dutch league, along with a fluent Dutch speaker. He also had a reputation of attacking football. Gary is relatively low profile in comparison, not a criticism, just a fact. I think Maclaren would have landed the Lookman deal for instance. I don’t want to write this season off but it’s got to be addressed for next season. 2 or 3 decent loans will make the difference 

10 hours ago, Doodle said:

It only works if we go up like Leicester did. Mel is either being sensible or lacking ambition, depending on your point of view. He has made big mistakes and wasted lots of HIS money. But he’s learned and I suspect he’s being sensible, avoiding embargoes and keeping his powder dry for another tilt at promotion next season when  the new 3 year cycle starts again 

FFP doesn't work like that. It is a continuous 3 year period. So next season it will not take in the Clement spend from 15/16 but will still have 16/17 and this season included. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

FFP doesn't work like that. It is a continuous 3 year period. So next season it will not take in the Clement spend from 15/16 but will still have 16/17 and this season included. 

I’m fairly certain we have made a profit for the past 2 summer transfer windows so as soon as the clement summer is gone we should have a lot more to play with.

Towards the end of last season, one of the lads I sit with was saying he hoped that Baird would stay with us for another year - I said at the time that we could forget about getting promoted if we were relying on 86 year-old Baird at right back - seems I've been proven right. Happy to have Baird in the squad as emergency cover across the back 4, but he should only be starting if we don't have anyone else.....

3 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m fairly certain we have made a profit for the past 2 summer transfer windows so as soon as the clement summer is gone we should have a lot more to play with.

Let's hope so!

Archived