Anyone fancy owning Sunderland?

Gaspode

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Apparently Sunderland owner Ellis Short is prepared to give the club away (free) to anyone willing to take on the £137.3m debts....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43157628?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_sport&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

might suggest it to Mac for an introduction fee given he was looking for a club:D

10 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Administration and start again?

still 10p in the pound...so might have to do a portsmouth and do it a couple of times

43 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

So not free then, if Ellis wants his 137m back........

Free as in it's not all owed to him and he may be willing to accept that not all of his portion of the debt is paid. There were suggestions that he wanted to sell for £50M not so long ago - and if you read the article it's claimed he wanted £170m in 2016, so that's quite a drop...

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Free as in it's not all owed to him and he may be willing to accept that not all of his portion of the debt is paid. There were suggestions that he wanted to sell for £50M not so long ago - and if you read the article it's claimed he wanted £170m in 2016, so that's quite a drop...

If it isn't his debt then he has no legal powers to "do a deal" on behalf of the creditors. The only route would be insolvency. 

If it's his debt then he's arguing with himself. If he's writing off 100m then fair play. Doubt he'll be rushing back into football club ownership. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If I happened to be in the market for a football club I would avoid Sunderland like the plague. Looks like a great way to throw good money after bad to me.

Only if the owner employs a number of useless managers/directors of football, who in turn buy A LOT of crap players...

In theory, if ran right, it could be a very successful club.

True enough, the fan base is there but the problem is the club has been run like crap for ages now so the work required to get it back in to shape is almost not worth it taking in to account how difficult it is to get back in to the Premier League.

It looks like a long road ahead of them unless something crazy happens. I would think there are far more appealing clubs out there for buyers if anyone is looking.

Alternatively if I did want to own Sunderland it is probably better at this point to let them go belly up then come in later and pick up the pieces when all of the creditors have been safely shafted by the administrators.

Not exactly a hearts and minds approach but from a business sense probably the way someone would look at it.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If I happened to be in the market for a football club I would avoid Sunderland like the plague. Looks like a great way to throw good money after bad to me.

a few years of shrewd leadership and the right appointments, and a better recruitment and they will curb the losses. It good become a good club. 

15 minutes ago, Moist One said:

a few years of shrewd leadership and the right appointments, and a better recruitment and they will curb the losses. It good become a good club. 

Big club at any level, passionate and loyal and local support.

In theory, it should be hard to eff it up, but they seem to manage it on a semi regular basis, which is a shame, as I've never met a Sunderland fan I didn't like.

3 hours ago, Moist One said:

Helped by another 3? parachute payments.

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Big club at any level, passionate and loyal and local support.

In theory, it should be hard to eff it up, but they seem to manage it on a semi regular basis, which is a shame, as I've never met a Sunderland fan I didn't like.

Yeah,they eat,drink and dream football up there.One of my very early memories of the boys pen was an impressive contingent of Sunderland fans giving their lads non stop vocal support all game.The stamping on the boards following 'Sun-der-land' was pretty loud to a young lad's ear.

Archived