What going wrong lately

B4ev6is

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

For me the problem is GR does not know his best side. He talks a good style of football but struggles to back it up with his team choices. I don`t understand the comment about lack of courage when you choose a style that does not promote that. After a disappointing draw he will speak about making some "small tweaks" and then changes 6 players. Last night post match he again says "we created numerous opportunities but the refs decisions cost us again...but we only need to have a little look at it and maybe tweak a few things..." Perhaps another 6 changes will do the trick!

We had a settled defence with only Forsyth showing a bit of a wobble. Nugent and Vids were playing well together. At Brum Martin created the last goal with his flick and Russell was very good.

I always feel a bit concerned when any manager makes 3 changes at once. He has done this a couple of times .One injury and you are in trouble. It smacks of lack of understanding and desperation.

I really hope he drags us back on track and at least gets into the playoffs but i fear that too often we are completely overrun by younger , hungrier and more mobile teams and although the experienced players have up to now managed to guide us through that it is becoming unravelled.

Lets hope not but i am not sure i can face a journey home from Wembley like the last one.

was you there against Leicester that one was ten times worse

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Last 2 games teams have played three at the back against us and we've struggled. Other managers will look at that. I agree re the formation, it seems too rigid for a manager who said he would treat every game on its own merit. I think given our transfer activity in Jan, the 4231 doesn't look viable at the moment because we have little strength out wide, so Vydra is the only one doing anything with any consistency, while against Norwich and Sheff Weds we were exposed down the flanks. 

Carson

Keogh, Wisdom, Davies

Anya, Palmer, THudd, Ledley, Olsson

Vydra

Nugent

1 hour ago, minesahartington said:

I fear that too often we are completely overrun by younger , hungrier and more mobile teams and although the experienced players have up to now managed to guide us through that it is becoming unravelled.

I think you are right, and also this is what @B4ev6is is saying when he suggests that we bring in some younger hungrier players ourselves.

Wednesday were definitely up for it last night - they were the underdogs - fringe players wanting to impress and one player making his debut, too.

Unfortunately we have left ourselves a little short in that our younger players closest to the first team are all out on loan. Thomas has skill and spark, but drifts in and out of games and makes poor defensive decisions (not attacking ones - they are usually spot on.)

Bennett going out on loan again was a mistake for me - he played well at Brentford until injured and had that bright cameo at Manchester United, then ... not picked again.

I would like to see Palmer get starts - he has pace, skill on the ball, much better control than Anya or Weimann (it's not hard is it?) and has that young player's hunger to do well and impress.

29 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Carson

Keogh, Wisdom, Davies

Anya, Palmer, THudd, Ledley, Olsson

Vydra

Nugent

Thought for ages we have the players to give this a try.  My starting 11 might be different, but I'd give it a go.  Gives a good balance between solidity and some oomph.  What harm can it do.  GR has always said he picks teams to suit certain games.  What is to say that there aren't teams out there who would stuggle as much as we do.  

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think you are right, and also this is what @B4ev6is is saying when he suggests that we bring in some younger hungrier players ourselves.

Wednesday were definitely up for it last night - they were the underdogs - fringe players wanting to impress and one player making his debut, too.

Unfortunately we have left ourselves a little short in that our younger players closest to the first team are all out on loan. Thomas has skill and spark, but drifts in and out of games and makes poor defensive decisions (not attacking ones - they are usually spot on.)

Bennett going out on loan again was a mistake for me - he played well at Brentford until injured and had that bright cameo at Manchester United, then ... not picked again.

I would like to see Palmer get starts - he has pace, skill on the ball, much better control than Anya or Weimann (it's not hard is it?) and has that young player's hunger to do well and impress.

T’was only talking this morning about the same thing. To lose Russell is one thing, but Bennett was the closest thing we had in regards to tenacity, bite etc in that area and to lose both feels a poor move.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Last 2 games teams have played three at the back against us and we've struggled. Other managers will look at that. I agree re the formation, it seems too rigid for a manager who said he would treat every game on its own merit. I think given our transfer activity in Jan, the 4231 doesn't look viable at the moment because we have little strength out wide, so Vydra is the only one doing anything with any consistency, while against Norwich and Sheff Weds we were exposed down the flanks. 

I like the way Rowett is open about his thoughts (within reason). What he says makes sense. And I think the things he says a lot of people agree with. Like the need to make changes from Saturday. 6 changes from the previous game. I thought maybe one or two too many. But it's hard to argue the people he dropped and the people he brought in have also played well. 

I would like us to think about going from a 4231 to a 442, but I'm not sure we have the right people. But again this is where Gary has been sensible. I applaud his approach in the transfer market. He hasn't rushed into panic buying and isn't over spending. January is a notoriously difficult month to recruit sensibly in. We could have taken a boom or bust approach. But that has backfired in the past.

Most, if not all, of the players in the squad are talented and capable players. Given Rowett's sensible approach, I don't think we are far off and this is our wobble. Probably the right time to have it and not in the last 5 games.

Possesssion, far far too much possession. No space behind for our roadrunners to exploit, all head down run with the ball type players with little technical ability to unlock a defence.

all the technical players were sold or loaned out with the hope we would get a free run at goal every time the ball transitioned to our counter attack. we used to frustrate teams by soaking up their pressure and then hitting them on the break. Now they give us the ball and let us lose it through shoddy passing then hit us.

56 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I like the way Rowett is open about his thoughts (within reason). What he says makes sense. And I think the things he says a lot of people agree with. Like the need to make changes from Saturday. 6 changes from the previous game. I thought maybe one or two too many. But it's hard to argue the people he dropped and the people he brought in have also played well. 

I would like us to think about going from a 4231 to a 442, but I'm not sure we have the right people. But again this is where Gary has been sensible. I applaud his approach in the transfer market. He hasn't rushed into panic buying and isn't over spending. January is a notoriously difficult month to recruit sensibly in. We could have taken a boom or bust approach. But that has backfired in the past.

Most, if not all, of the players in the squad are talented and capable players. Given Rowett's sensible approach, I don't think we are far off and this is our wobble. Probably the right time to have it and not in the last 5 games.

Totally agree with you on everything there. I think we probably ended the transfer window one winger light, but that might have been Lookman who bailed on us last minute, or there simply wasn't anyone out there within the talent or price range required. 

42 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Possesssion, far far too much possession. No space behind for our roadrunners to exploit, all head down run with the ball type players with little technical ability to unlock a defence.

all the technical players were sold or loaned out with the hope we would get a free run at goal every time the ball transitioned to our counter attack. we used to frustrate teams by soaking up their pressure and then hitting them on the break. Now they give us the ball and let us lose it through shoddy passing then hit us.

In a game management, certainly this!

To add to that, I seriously hope my guess about a high-level physique training under the middle-east sun was correct... Would make leggy displays and dip in the form more understandable.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I am hoping to avoid wembley and go stright up.

But I think bring young lad In can be element of suprise to our team and throw teams off. Not knowing what he going to do.

Are you hoping for another Wanchope? The other team didn't know what he was going to do next, neither did his team mates and I'm not sure he did half the time. Could do with his goals now. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you hoping for another Wanchope? The other team didn't know what he was going to do next, neither did his team mates and I'm not sure he did half the time. Could do with his goals now. 

Well Bennett’s injured at the moment, so we really are screwed.

3 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Happy to have not taken lookman if his heart wasn't in it. 

That’s just silly. Aspiring premier league footballers have more talent, money and fame than they can handle. I would be upset if he wanted to play for Derby. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t get us promotion 

Recent performances have been lacking . Before xmas we were punishing teams with only a handful of chances in a game and happy for teams to control possession.

Last night we dominated possession(not the game) and had twice as many chances as the owls.

People harking on about CM. Well he's gone and has played very little in the success of the club this season . The biggest miss is going to be JR,irrespective of your opinions of his ability. He worked hard gave 100 % running endlessly, I would also imagine he would have been good around the training ground and in the dressing room.

Ideally it would be great to bring in some super loanee or buy a few bigger names. However we have the players and squad to challenge and gain promotion.

I was optimistic with the first team changes last night, but was surprised GR didn't change things a lot sooner.  Not sure what was said at half time iether but it obviously didnt inspire.

Why are the subs being made in 70 plus mins, when prematch tactics have not worked throughout the game ?

Some have suggested Nugent was Rusty? Why would he be? He has only been rested still training with the team and should be rareing to take his chance.

Last night a big disappointment, however if it means we learn some thing from it and pick up our form,rather than continue to drag out draws it may be a blessing in disguise. At least we didn't drop points to a promotion contender.

Hope GR improves his half time pep talks and philosophy on substitutions.

Archived