Sheffield Wednesday F.C. v Derby County F.C.

Boycie

I didn’t see either full back do too much wrong yesterday ( or the previous 2 games). Yet the last couple of posters have suggested both should be dropped ( one each). It’s the midfield and striker where our problems have been. 2 or 3 changes there by all means but leave the back 5 alone 

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RedSox said:

I don't think Palmer had long enough to suggest he shouldn't start against Wed.  Thorne, I agree needs a rest.  Looked leggy and a bit ponderous.  I also agree about CamJam.  He just didn't put himself about enough for me yesterday.  Nuge needs to be back with Vyds. They're potent together.  Ledley will add a bit of bite to give Huddlestone a bit more time on the ball hopefully. 

Agree that just over 15 minutes for Palmer to have made an impression is nowhere near enough but too soon for him to have a place in the starting eleven.

I'd bring Fozzie back in - no reflection on Olsson but against the Wendies I think the extra height could be useful. Definitely Ledley in for Thorne.

Back to our strongest team for me as we've strayed quite a way from that imo and need a bit of a reset - hopefully get back to winning ways and get some consistency back.

Carson

Baird - Keogh - Davies - Olsson 

Huddz - Ledley

Weimann - Vydra - Johnson

Nuge

Dont think that wisdom has done much wrong, but I don't think that's a reason not to shake things up, think Baird is better for now and so he starts.

Bit of a toss up with Fozzy and Olsson - maybe depends on how big a team they are, not too sure.

Anya has looked good and I wouldn't mind too much between him, Weimann or even Palmer. 

Johnson adds presence up front and he's a goal threat - Lawrence needs a rest.

Nuge just to keep things fresh, and he links very well with Vydra.

1 minute ago, Derbydave96 said:

Back to our strongest team for me as we've strayed quite a way from that imo and need a bit of a reset - hopefully get back to winning ways and get some consistency back.

Carson

Huddz - Ledley

Nuge

Dont think that wisdom has done much wrong, but I don't think that's a reason not to shake things up, think Baird is better for now and so he starts.

Bit of a toss up with Fozzy and Olsson - maybe depends on how big a team they are, not too sure.

Anya has looked good and I wouldn't mind too much between him, Weimann or even Palmer. 

I much prefer Anya and Jerome as subs because they can change the dynamic of a game then again I thought Martin and Russell starting or as subs was very good.

45 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I didn’t see either full back do too much wrong yesterday ( or the previous 2 games). Yet the last couple of posters have suggested both should be dropped ( one each). It’s the midfield and striker where our problems have been. 2 or 3 changes there by all means but leave the back 5 alone 

Quite right the full backs are not to blame We've conceded one penalty with that pair in the last two games Midfield and wide players are struggling especially Lawrence I think we've waited long enough for him now he's not really contributing much at all Short spell on bench and in the gym will do him good 

37 minutes ago, Derbydave96 said:

Carson

Huddz - Ledley

Nuge

They played 6ft6in Nuhiu up front with 6ft 1ins Joao who is fast up front at Barnsley agree about Lawrence the lad desperately needs a goal for his confidence

Well gary you say derby need to be braver takes chains of again and let them play.

This my personal view if you want lads playing fast flowing football again. Maybe try luke thompson on the wing against shiffield wednesday lets have someone to run at and not afaird to take players let use dribbling skills.

Maybe try a different formation maybe 443 or 4141 or 442. But we need try something new in order to create chances.

7 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well gary you say derby need to be braver takes chains of again and let them play.

This my personal view if you want lads playing fast flowing football again. Maybe try luke thompson on the wing against shiffield wednesday lets have someone to run at and not afaird to take players let use dribbling skills.

Maybe try a different formation maybe 443 or 4141 or 442. But we need try something new in order to create chances.

I watch the under 23s no Thompson 

dont need a new formation, but he is spot on with greater bravery in the forward play.

the sooner ledley gives thorne a rest the better IMO, and Lawrence needs to put a performance in, his self belief now seems to be shot.

We still well placed and performing ok in terms of game management generally speaking.

We cant do anything about Villa winning 7 in a row, thats 8 points more than we managed in that time. Especially with 3 consecutive lucky 1-0 wins.

5 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

443, not allowed mate, against the rules, unfair for Derby to have one more player on the pitch, than anyone else lol, also no need to panic just yet, we are only 1 point behind Villa, 15 games to play and lost just 2 out of the last 23 games, we will be back in second after the win against Wednesday, lots of twists and turns yet, looking forward to seeing how the season pans out. In Gary Rowett I trust.

I'd make a number of changes for this game

Carson

Baird       Keogh          Davies      Forsyth

Huddlestone  Ledley

Weimann       Vydra            Palmer

Nugent

Baird for Wisdom as he is better offensively and better at keeping possession, with the added bonus of his set pieces

Forsyth for Olsson because I doubt Olsson would be able to play twice in a week and Forsyth is better defensively, meaning Palmer won't have to track back as much.

Ledley in for Thorne. I think Thorne is fantastic when on form but he's a liability at the moment. He's hit a brick wall and Ledley deserves to start again.

Weimann for Anya. Like with Olsson, I doubt he'd be able to play twice in a week with his lack of first team football this season and he was only put into the team because of Weimann's wife having a baby.

Palmer for Lawrence. When Lawrence eventually hits form, he is going to be massive but like Thorne, he's a liability at the moment. I'd like to see what Palmer can do.

Nugent for Jerome. Nugent has been waiting for his opportunity for a while and again, I doubt Jerome would be able to play twice in a week, he was knackered yesterday. As for Nugent, well, he has been very poor this season, he will need to step up if we want to finish in the top 2 to make up for Winnall's goals.

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

I'd make a number of changes for this game

Carson

Baird       Keogh          Davies      Forsyth

Huddlestone  Ledley

Weimann       Vydra            Palmer

Nugent

Baird for Wisdom as he is better offensively and better at keeping possession, with the added bonus of his set pieces

Forsyth for Olsson because I doubt Olsson would be able to play twice in a week and Forsyth is better defensively, meaning Palmer won't have to track back as much.

Ledley in for Thorne. I think Thorne is fantastic when on form but he's a liability at the moment. He's hit a brick wall and Ledley deserves to start again.

Weimann for Anya. Like with Olsson, I doubt he'd be able to play twice in a week with his lack of first team football this season and he was only put into the team because of Weimann's wife having a baby.

Palmer for Lawrence. When Lawrence eventually hits form, he is going to be massive but like Thorne, he's a liability at the moment. I'd like to see what Palmer can do.

Nugent for Jerome. Nugent has been waiting for his opportunity for a while and again, I doubt Jerome would be able to play twice in a week, he was knackered yesterday. As for Nugent, well, he has been very poor this season, he will need to step up if we want to finish in the top 2 to make up for Winnall's goals.

The team on Saturday were lack lustre. Can't understand that in such an important game. In contrast Villa were really up for it in their game against Brum. 

Tend to agree with your comments, but regarding Lawrence I'm not so sure. We paid a lot of money and his performances should be reflecting that in some way. He could end up being another Butterfield type signing, or a click into gear at some point like Vydra. Who knows?

Archived