Matchdays as a ST holder.

Smyth_18

Just in the middle of deep thought whilst at work and something dawned upon me, i wonder if anybody else feels the same.

As a season ticket holder for the last few years, i have just realised how much i take the matchday experience for granted these days. When i used to go to the odd game i used to be ridiculously excited around this time but now it seems it's just what i do. Don't get me wrong it's still my favourite thing to do, but it doesn't seem to bring the magic of isolated matchday experiences.

I don't think it's a case of getting older as everybody feels like a big kid when seeing their beloved team as a one off.

Anyway, I'm going to flip these thoughts on its head and savour every moment of today as if it was a one off, and try my best to not take my unbelievable luck of being a season ticket holder for granted.

Who'd have thought it? the season ticket holder envying the 'one game a season man (or woman)'.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This!

I used to have nightmares dreaming I’d missed a home game! Now days I could stop at home quite easily some games in the winter mid week when it’s freezing cold and we’ve not been doing great.

I do enjoy it while I’m there, but getting my ass motivated is really difficult compared to when I was going home and away in the late 80’s early 90’s.

1 minute ago, Boycie said:

This!

I used to have nightmares dreaming I’d missed a home game! Now days I could stop at home quite easily some games in the winter mid week when it’s freezing cold and we’ve not been doing great.

I do enjoy it while I’m there, but getting my ass motivated is really difficult compared to when I was going home and away in the late 80’s early 90’s.

This is whats called old age :)

Good post.

But been a half fan is where it's at.

I've never lived near enough to Derby so got fairly valid reasons not to go regularly: money, time, family, playing sport etc.

I still get well excited when going to matches, especially home ones.

Probably go to 3-4 games a season, but as a half fan, I go to more when we are doing well.

I can listen to internet commentary and watch us on NowTV too without a long drive or getting cold.

I do feel I've missed out on never going regularly though. Especially if you go with a few mates and get on the beers.

It must be tough going every week when it's been poor. But doesn't that just make the good times even more sweeter. 

The promotion under the Bald Eagle must have been an awesome season.

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good post.

But been a half fan is where it's at.

I've never lived near enough to Derby so got fairly valid reasons not to go regularly: money, time, family, playing sport etc.

I still get well excited when going to matches, especially home ones.

Probably go to 3-4 games a season, but as a half fan, I go to more when we are doing well.

I can listen to internet commentary and watch us on NowTV too without a long drive or getting cold.

I do feel I've missed out on never going regularly though. Especially if you go with a few mates and get on the beers.

It must be tough going every week when it's been poor. But doesn't that just make the good times even more sweeter. 

The promotion under the Bald Eagle must have been an awesome season.

I don't want to make it look like i'd rather not be a season ticket holder. There's no other place i'd rather be no matter how well we are doing.
It's my main way of keeping a relationship with my brother and we're closer than ever because of it.

It's just that it's so easy to take it all for granted, not savour the little things and take it all in. A loss of that child like 'magic'.

I spent many years not going to games for various reasons. Since I started up again (about 2012) I think I have been more enthusiastic than ever and I really look forward to all the games.

I'm lucky that I have seen some excellent if frustrating seasons when we've been in with a chance of promotion for long parts of most of them. 

I recently lost a few people who were big Derby supporters. I don't know how long I will be able to a) afford and b) be capable of going to matches so I am determined to make the most of every game! 

Great post .

Got involved when my dad and his mates used to take me to bbg as a kid in the 70s glory days when one or the other of them had to work a shift (so saw a few cracking night matches. First season ticket in the biley swindlehurst we'll be back in 81 season . Loved every minute of it (apart from dodging flying seats from Leeds and Chelsea)

Then had to get a job and had to work saturdays     for years !!!  The odd game here and there was amazing but always felt I was missing out . 

When pride park was built I decided to get a season ticket . Have missed a handful of games at home in twenty seasons ..  some renewals deadlines have been difficult financially and caused some discussions at home some have been difficult because of apathy at the state of the club . 

Being a fan has it's challenges but we are all fans nonetheless.  

I have a good mate who is a Blackpool fan home and away for 35 years . He is currently refusing to enter the ground due to the ruination of the club by Oyston . 

For us at least those dark days are well behind us , so enjoy the stability and get behind the lads.

Great club ,great fans and an improving opportunity to hit the big time once again 

COYR

For me, what you may lose in the novelty factor is more than made up for by what you gain in seeing the team play week in, week out. I never played football at school so don’t have a great understanding of the game, but I appreciate being familiar with the players and having a sense of what they can do. 

Motivation wise, having a season ticket makes me turn out whether I feel like it or not. I’ve paid, so I’m bloody well going, and I’m usually glad I made the effort. 

I also think it’s true that the grim performances help you appreciate the good ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the result either, it might just be one little moment when a particular player excels himself, something you might miss if you’re only catching the highlights. 

Then there’s the beer and the camaraderie you can feel with people you don’t see at any other time. Trawling the pubs after the 5-0, sharing the exultation with hundreds of strangers who were feeling the same, was one of the best days of my life.

It does help when we're winning - towards the end of Nige's reign, I was definitely going purely out of a sense of 'duty' and would probably have given up my season ticket (30+ years) if he'd still been there.

I think the OP may have a point though and I wonder if the large number of season ticket holders is one of the reasons that the atmosphere can be flat - it is hard to really get up for games (particularly against mediocre opposition) if it's become a routine....

56 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Just in the middle of deep thought whilst at work and something dawned upon me, i wonder if anybody else feels the same.

As a season ticket holder for the last few years, i have just realised how much i take the matchday experience for granted these days. When i used to go to the odd game i used to be ridiculously excited around this time but now it seems it's just what i do. Don't get me wrong it's still my favourite thing to do, but it doesn't seem to bring the magic of isolated matchday experiences.

I don't think it's a case of getting older as everybody feels like a big kid when seeing their beloved team as a one off.

Anyway, I'm going to flip these thoughts on its head and savour every moment of today as if it was a one off, and try my best to not take my unbelievable luck of being a season ticket holder for granted.

Who'd have thought it? the season ticket holder envying the 'one game a season man (or woman)'.

That's my attitude to football in general these days.

Had a season ticket for 30 years and its amazing how much my attitude has changed.

I used to live for football, everything I did would revolve around our fixtures. These days I probably miss 3 or 4 home matches a season due to other commitments. 

Used to go to all England home matches and a few away matches too but these days don't always even bother to watch the matches on the TV.

I know things are different when you are young but I can't ever imagine the walk to Pride Park rivalling the feeling of walking to the Baseball Ground.

18 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

For me, what you may lose in the novelty factor is more than made up for by what you gain in seeing the team play week in, week out. I never played football at school so don’t have a great understanding of the game, but I appreciate being familiar with the players and having a sense of what they can do. 

Motivation wise, having a season ticket makes me turn out whether I feel like it or not. I’ve paid, so I’m bloody well going, and I’m usually glad I made the effort. 

I also think it’s true that the grim performances help you appreciate the good ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the result either, it might just be one little moment when a particular player excels himself, something you might miss if you’re only catching the highlights. 

Then there’s the beer and the camaraderie you can feel with people you don’t see at any other time. Trawling the pubs after the 5-0, sharing the exultation with hundreds of strangers who were feeling the same, was one of the best days of my life.

This brings to mind another deep subject in my head recently.

We're currently in the build up to my young sons christening (which i'm not particularly in agreement on) and last week was the 'pre christening instructions'.

I have been listening with intent to try to understand religion and why people are so committed. Last week i thought i was starting to understand when they told us about the sense of belonging i.e. wherever you are in the world you be welcomed in the catholic church etc.

But then i thought 'I get that sense of belonging with Derby County Football Club. Which is 100% real and everybody is equal.'

If my son feels belonging at Church, good for him. If it's at Derby, even better! (at least for me!)

Had an ST for a long time up until last season, got a half thanks to return of the Mac!

Not got one this season as have other commitments most Saturdays. Able to go today, looking forward to it.

It can be difficult I found some games to be bothered to go when you have an ST on cold midweek games, always did though. 

Regardless of whether I've got an ST or go the odd game though it's only enjoyable for me if the team win or at least play well not doing.

Been a season ticket holder for 17 years and love it now more than ever. But it’s not just the derby game for me, me and my mates make a day of it and I think that’s part of what makes it so enjoyable. 

Today we are going to bar sport to watch spurs arsenal (tasty), few beers then onto the game, back to the pub and then a curry house tonight. (Probably followed by a few bars) 

I used to just go straight to and from games, it’s isn’t quite the same. But also always helps when derby are doing well. 

Great original post.....

For me, I don’t get cut up about it all now. Obviously love to see Derby well, but it’s not the best all and end all anymore.

I let my boys have the heartache and good times that come with following Derby County. I’ve passed the baton on..... it’s in good hands.

2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

I'm 52 and a STH and I'm still the 8 year old who turns up, watches the players in, goes through the same routines and is as excited as hell for the whole thing. I just freakin love it. The whole 9 yards. Use to love the procession down Shaftsburry Cres with the smell of boiled hotdog onions, beer and cigarette smoke and now it's Pride Park. If I ever come back as a ghost to Earth you'll find me hanging out with Cloughie and Taylor on Pride Park Plaza. :mellow:

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

This brings to mind another deep subject in my head recently.

We're currently in the build up to my young sons christening (which i'm not particularly in agreement on) and last week was the 'pre christening instructions'.

I have been listening with intent to try to understand religion and why people are so committed. Last week i thought i was starting to understand when they told us about the sense of belonging i.e. wherever you are in the world you be welcomed in the catholic church etc.

But then i thought 'I get that sense of belonging with Derby County Football Club. Which is 100% real and everybody is equal.'

If my son feels belonging at Church, good for him. If it's at Derby, even better! (at least for me!)

You can never get a pie in a Catholic Church but you do get a sup of wine and a free wafer. :mellow:

For the first 60 odd years of following the Rams could never go regularly for various reasons - time, money, family, distances - so 3 years ago when , moving to Bristol,I got my first season ticket it was one of the great highlights of my life!! I still get excited the day before, and longer for big games. I’m trying to enjoy every minute as now I’m moving into my late 70s I’m aware that there is probably a limit as to how many more seasons I can do, especially as I travel alone. But I’ll always be grateful that I’ve managed a few years of going to most home games.

2 minutes ago, archram said:

For the first 60 odd years of following the Rams could never go regularly for various reasons - time, money, family, distances - so 3 years ago when , moving to Bristol,I got my first season ticket it was one of the great highlights of my life!! I still get excited the day before, and longer for big games. I’m trying to enjoy every minute as now I’m moving into my late 70s I’m aware that there is probably a limit as to how many more seasons I can do, especially as I travel alone. But I’ll always be grateful that I’ve managed a few years of going to most home games.

I used to travel up from Bristol for home games when I worked in Bristol after university and count every one of the 124 miles. Quite often I'd follow another Derby fan that I'd see {scarf flapping out his car window} and try to get his attention if only to car share but never managed it. Big respect @archram for doing it too! 

Archived