Matchdays as a ST holder.

Smyth_18

I lived on Shaftesbury Crescent opposite the Directors entrance, when I came to Derby as a lad. Used to get really excited as matchday loomed. These days I'm less keen on the hike to the ground and I feel the cold a lot more sat down. Not that I could strand for 2.5 hours. So there are times when you think "*** it I'll stay in" particularly when we are on TV.

And I think TV is at the heart of the problem. In the 60's and 70's there were no live games just highlights late evening. Used to get excited waiting for the "Green in" to come out and read all the stuff about what you had just watched live. Today live games almost every day if you can afford the subscriptions, live text updates for almost every match in the world. 

They say familiarity breeds contempt and that is happening now.

Side thought: It looks to me like the average age of our support is creeping ever upwards with less youngsters at games. Shame really if true

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Side thought: It looks to me like the average age of our support is creeping ever upwards with less youngsters at games. Shame really if true

Interesting observation. Can't say it is something I had noticed.

With the information available these days I am sure DCFC would have picked up on this and would be doing more to attract the younger generation if the observation is correct.

9 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I lived on Shaftesbury Crescent opposite the Directors entrance, when I came to Derby as a lad. Used to get really excited as matchday loomed. These days I'm less keen on the hike to the ground and I feel the cold a lot more sat down. Not that I could strand for 2.5 hours. So there are times when you think "*** it I'll stay in" particularly when we are on TV.

And I think TV is at the heart of the problem. In the 60's and 70's there were no live games just highlights late evening. Used to get excited waiting for the "Green in" to come out and read all the stuff about what you had just watched live. Today live games almost every day if you can afford the subscriptions, live text updates for almost every match in the world. 

They say familiarity breeds contempt and that is happening now.

Agree. I used to live round the corner in Dairyhouse Road and the Rams were a part of my life from a very early age. Regardless of the weather I was always at the match and if I couldn't go to the away matches I watched the reserves. Used to meet mates in the Vine. Work took me away to Birmingham and then to London where I now live. Still support Derby and still get a feeling of excitement at match time and try to watch them when the games are in London. But it's not quite the same as the years I spent supporting us back in the 50s, 60s and 70s. 

Befire retirement I spent a lot of time in Africa on aid projects and for sheer exuberant football support and excitement you can't beat Ghana and Nigeria. English football reigns supreme and all the people I've met there know everything about every player in the PL and to a slightly lesser extent the Championship. Support is mainly Chelsea and Arsenal (in the 80s it was Liverpool and Man U) . Their football knowledge and excitement takes me back to my youth. Still do the odd bit of work in Nigeria so if we get promotion I will ensure I spread the word about the mighty Rams

I don't know why i spend so much time obsessing over Derby County.

I was bitten by the bug due to the great teams of 70s. If we'd always been craap i'm not sure i'd have got hooked. Sometimes i wonder what i could do with all the time i waste thinking about Derby County, sammy winnall's knee, george thorne's waistline, johnny russell's move.....

At various times in the past i couldn't be bothered to trek to the ground. But once you've bought a season ticket you just go.

I like watching the match with the regulars i sit next to, but the rest of the so-called matchday experience doesn't do anything for me i'm afraid. I find it a bit of a chore getting to and from the ground and i find the food, the drink and the concourse pretty lousy.

I'd probably enjoy that side more if i had a few mates or family to go with but over the years they all moved on or passed away. So its not a community or belonging thing. its just me. Me and my memories of kevin hector, willie carlin, dave mackay, les green....

I guess i'm now one of the old farts that used to populate B stand; who used to talk about Jackie stamps, raich carter, and peter doherty. 

I suspect we get addicted to the adrenalin and seratonin rush of a goal and a win. Hooked on footy is like being hooked on fags. 

I expect I'll still be going for another 20 years. until i pop my clogs and they screw the lid down.

I had to drop my season ticket for 5 seasons and life isn’t the same without winter Saturday football. But I am going to have a moan about the fixture swapping tele idiots. I want to see mostly 3pm Saturday games with the odd midweek under floodlights. It’s all over the place and it irritates me. I have a push some games because of work and midday Sunday etc often feels flat. It doesn’t help when the other games are all over the place too so you aren’t watching the other results. 

I got hooked around the early 80's my dad took me to a few games in the late 70's but it was the start of the 80's that got me hooked. Alan Bileys long blond hair and getting knocked out in a game. Grown men acting the fool and fighting this was great. Walking past the Vulcan Pub and smelling stale fags and ale. I can remember what it felt like to stand above the Popside and see steam come up on a cold Wednesday night cup replay. 

Football wise we were crap but it didn't matter because I was a Derby fan. I had to hold my head high against the Forest and Liverpool fans in the playground. 

Now I take my children and hope that if they enjoy it half as much as I did it will be the highlight of their week.

Great OP. 

I've not got a ST this season, for the first time in a few years. I ended up hating, and I mean hating absolutely everything about the match day experience. Except for the minute the game kicks off, until half time, and the second half. 

Now that's probably more suited to the thread in OT, but that's how it was for me. It should be enjoyable.... magical, fun. It was the total opposite. 

So that, and a few other things, like night time road closures when trying to get back to Somerset. Lack of Saturday 3pm kick offs for TV. Work. 

I decided not to renew, and said I'd pick a few games to go to. I haven't been at all yet this season :(

I'd like to get the feeling back again. 

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'd probably enjoy that side more if i had a few mates or family to go with but over the years they all moved on or passed away. So its not a community or belonging thing. its just me. Me and my memories of kevin hector, willie carlin, dave mackay, les green....

Sad but true. Same here. Family just not interested at all.

43 minutes ago, RamNut said:

24 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Sad but true. Same here. Family just not interested at all.

There you go, speak to each other privately and arrange to meet up and sit next to each other one match. If you get on ok sort it out for next season!

:)

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

I used to travel up from Bristol for home games when I worked in Bristol after university and count every one of the 124 miles. Quite often I'd follow another Derby fan that I'd see {scarf flapping out his car window} and try to get his attention if only to car share but never managed it. Big respect @archram for doing it too! 

I do it on the train as I don't drive that far there and back these days, concentration not good enough! At least I've learnt how to do Internet on the train! 

My son and kids can't go regularly for usual reasons, time, money etc. As he has 4 girls wanting to go to games I can only afford to treat them to a few games per season. When we are all together I feel so proud and hope they remind Rams fans and go when they can. 

Archived