Was Anya offside?

Derbados

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

We may as well not bother with referees and linesmen if every time they make a wrong call we say ‘ah well we should’ve took our chances.’ Who needs correct decisions to be made in line with the laws of the game if we just take our chances?

I think it's more that there must be dozens of wrong decisions per game. For both sides.

I mean should Millwall have had a penalty? 

At the end of the day you have to ask if you did enough. It's frustrating but if the game is tight enough to hinge on one decision (and imagine it at full speed) then a draw was probably fair.

Hugely disappointed with the call. I thought the defender was playing him on by more, to be honest, but at the end of the day - it's onside. 

We could potentially be four points better off had we been provided with officials with decent eyesight. It's not surprising to hear Rowett snap after the game, well, in a mellow way. It could well be the difference at the end of the season. 

I do believe it does equal itself out more of less over the course of the season, but it stings when it's back-to-back games. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think it's more that there must be dozens of wrong decisions per game. For both sides.

I mean should Millwall have had a penalty? 

At the end of the day you have to ask if you did enough. It's frustrating but if the game is tight enough to hinge on one decision (and imagine it at full speed) then a draw was probably fair.

Fair point, but to me referees have to get these big calls right else what is the point. I’ve not seen the penalty decision tonight so can’t comment, but if it was as obvious as ours against Bristol City then you have to ask what they’re seeing. This isn’t just a thing costing Derby points, I think there has to be more accountability for key decisions.

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Fair point, but to me referees have to get these big calls right else what is the point. I’ve not seen the penalty decision tonight so can’t comment, but if it was as obvious as ours against Bristol City then you have to ask what they’re seeing. This isn’t just a thing costing Derby points, I think there has to be more accountability for key decisions.

Tbh at full speed I thought they should have had a penalty and Anya was onside. But how much do we want refereed by videos. Where does it stop? Do you do like an appeal system? 2 appeals each per game? 

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

The refs are assessed by their panel aren't they?

If they're poor they get deselected. Which is like being made redundant. 

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Tbh at full speed I thought they should have had a penalty and Anya was onside. But how much do we want refereed by videos. Where does it stop? Do you do like an appeal system? 2 appeals each per game? 

I quite like that idea, like in tennis. There are situations where the players are absolutely adamant, they were right there, they felt the contact, or saw exactly where the defender was, but there’s nothing they can do. It must be so frustrating to know for sure that you’re right, but just have to accept that the wrong decision will stand. And even more so to see yourself vindicated in replays after the game, but there’s still nothing you can do. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don’t know what the solution is tbh, I like the fast paced nature of the game, but does there come a point when for the good of the game key decisions have to be correct? Ultimately I think VAR is good but it requires a lot of fine tuning to keep love stadium audiences at the forefront of the game.

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The refs are assessed by their panel aren't they?

If they're poor they get deselected. Which is like being made redundant. 

I know they get ‘assessed’ (I’ve put it in inverted commas as how stringent that assessment is is anyone’s guess). I remember a game ages ago under Clough where he was raging about a decision, and was raging even more so that the assessor has deemed the decision correct :lol:

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Hugely disappointed with the call. I thought the defender was playing him on by more, to be honest, but at the end of the day - it's onside. 

We could potentially be four points better off had we been provided with officials with decent eyesight. It's not surprising to hear Rowett snap after the game, well, in a mellow way. It could well be the difference at the end of the season. 

I do believe it does equal itself out more of less over the course of the season, but it stings when it's back-to-back games. 

I agree with this. Just back from game and it was a sickener. Huge celebration for goal and someone had even gone to the effort of ticker tape, well, bits of cut up newspaper, that fluttered down sadly as the goal was disallowed. I feel that offside should be for 'goal hanging' ie obvious decisions. Not someone leaning that way or this. Anya's pace did the linesman as well as the defender.

On a positive note, I got to meet my hero @B4ev6is and his dad and had a good chat. Great to meet you both!

Archived