Steve McClaren on Management, Comebacks and err...Israel (The Times)

Nuwtfly

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So it seems.....

Reckon 95% of our managers we ever had must have failed then.:D

They have.

Paul - the reality is that many of our fans have had so much failure and frustration  to deal with that a manager who brought a glimmer of success but still failed at every key moment is viewed as some sort of managerial titan.

We deserve better, and in the year to come, new titans, new heroes, new stories of success will appear in our club and all that other stuff will be fully accepted as the failure it was. Then what you will see is a fan base in agreement with both the players we all admire and the manager we all rate.

Just now, Ninos said:

They have.

Paul - the reality is that many of our fans have had so much failure and frustration  to deal with that a manager who brought a glimmer of success but still failed at every key moment is viewed as some sort of managerial titan.

We deserve better, and in the year to come, new titans, new heroes, new stories of success will appear in our club and all that other stuff will be fully accepted as the failure it was. Then what you will see is a fan base in agreement with both the players we all admire and the manager we all rate.

We dont deserve anything.

Suppose you think George burley was a failure too?

40 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...he's hit that on the up and it's sailing high over the mid-off boundary for a 6. No need to chase that one you McClaren-knockers. A full-ish delivery on the off stump but wixman1884 saw it coming, stepped down the track and bam....chase that one...:mellow:

As opposed to Pearson, who was  bowled offering no shot.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

We dont deserve anything.

Suppose you think George burley was a failure too?

If you don’t believe we are an underachieving premier club in waiting you’ve been disagreeing with everything Mel and every other recent manager including Mac has said about us. 

We are a great club with great fans and big ambition. We are now aligning our ducks. I am sure if you asked Mac himself he would concede he failed at Derby - but he would give his reasons/excuses for that failure. Cest la vie.

Just now, Ninos said:

If you don’t believe we are an underachieving premier club in waiting you’ve been disagreeing with everything Mel and every other recent manager including Mac has said about us. 

We are a great club with great fans and big ambition. We are now aligning our ducks. I am sure if you asked Mac himself he would concede he failed at Derby - but he would give his reasons/excuses for that failure. Cest la vie.

So was burley a failure?

Yes we have ambition but we don't deserve promotion anymore than the other 23 teams in the division.

We aren't an underachieving PL team, in the past 40 years how many have we spent in the top flight compared with lower leagues?

58 minutes ago, Ninos said:

They have.

Therefore as I have asked you before and you tend to not reply, by your measures GR has failed throughout his career, is this what you are saying?

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm a massive fan of Mac,brought back my enthusiasm for Derby after years of turgid football and brought out the best in our already talented footballers....

The people who don't appreciate him or what he brought to the club are the same ones I disagree with on most things Derby........

You either get it or you don't.

Err no ? Why is everything so black and white set in stone kash? It’s opinions not that some get it and some don’t ( bit like the old modern art or expensive wine shield) ,,,,

as with all things there’s light and shade ,good and bad 

Mac 1 landed at derby for the exact Time ,place and situation to fit his skill set and he brought some good times on the pitch after such a long period of really poor football and desperate book balancing to get the club back from the brink of disaster and yes after a short period where lots really did not want him ( myself included but proved wrong in short term) he rekindled lots of fans enthusiasm for the club again , rest assured I will be just as compelled to totally disagree with those who give Mac no credit for his contribution to where we are now ( upward curve) ,

for me on balance I’m left with the feeling when it all played out I lost a lot of respect for maclaren and would not have him back at the club whilst understanding why there’s no rush for clubs to take him on as manager now ,

where I do struggle is the entrenched position some take with McClaren,Martin ,Bryson ,set up , formation and let it put such a downer on anything or anybody new at the club ,it’s just such a negative position and unfair on the likes of rowett, Huddlestone ,,Ledley ,Jerome , Davies , these players and manager have come in under such a negative vibe from fans of mistrust , to old, last pay day , too negative and trying to be accepted by some fans here has been /is like pulling teeth rather than being welcomed to the club as derby players ,, they are now producing some results and performances that are getting harder to put down ,almost all of them ,,,,, it’s been happening for a long time ,,, Chris Baird ,vydra spring to mind ,,,, we are second , we don’t concede many and we score plenty of goals which are varied in their style and quality but people still can’t let themselves enjoy ,

we are a football club , we move ,we evolve ,we change we are in constant flux ,, Christ sake just enjoy the good stuff or else what’s the bloody point?

i watched and loved us in the seventies ,we have never come near that since,,, should I just give up on us and bitch about every team,/ manager that’s not that’s?

18 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Does a manager have to win something or achieve promotion to have 'got us somewhere'?

Yeah unfortunately turning a club playing rather dire football into a squad that plays arguably our best football ever whilst achieving our highest total points of all time and then narrowly missing out on promotion isn't enough for some people.

Oh yeah, and then turning us from a side flirting with relegation to top 6 candidates again, clearly not enough.

Never mention him again he was that poor... Oh wait, no he wasn't

6 hours ago, archied said:

Err no ? Why is everything so black and white set in stone kash? It’s opinions not that some get it and some don’t ( bit like the old modern art or expensive wine shield) ,,,,

as with all things there’s light and shade ,good and bad 

Mac 1 landed at derby for the exact Time ,place and situation to fit his skill set and he brought some good times on the pitch after such a long period of really poor football and desperate book balancing to get the club back from the brink of disaster and yes after a short period where lots really did not want him ( myself included but proved wrong in short term) he rekindled lots of fans enthusiasm for the club again , rest assured I will be just as compelled to totally disagree with those who give Mac no credit for his contribution to where we are now ( upward curve) ,

for me on balance I’m left with the feeling when it all played out I lost a lot of respect for maclaren and would not have him back at the club whilst understanding why there’s no rush for clubs to take him on as manager now ,

where I do struggle is the entrenched position some take with McClaren,Martin ,Bryson ,set up , formation and let it put such a downer on anything or anybody new at the club ,it’s just such a negative position and unfair on the likes of rowett, Huddlestone ,,Ledley ,Jerome , Davies , these players and manager have come in under such a negative vibe from fans of mistrust , to old, last pay day , too negative and trying to be accepted by some fans here has been /is like pulling teeth rather than being welcomed to the club as derby players ,, they are now producing some results and performances that are getting harder to put down ,almost all of them ,,,,, it’s been happening for a long time ,,, Chris Baird ,vydra spring to mind ,,,, we are second , we don’t concede many and we score plenty of goals which are varied in their style and quality but people still can’t let themselves enjoy ,

we are a football club , we move ,we evolve ,we change we are in constant flux ,, Christ sake just enjoy the good stuff or else what’s the bloody point?

i watched and loved us in the seventies ,we have never come near that since,,, should I just give up on us and bitch about every team,/ manager that’s not that’s?

Here's the thing archied....if you don't like other people's opinions and you don't want to accept what they believe,then ignore them.....you won't change them by moaning that they don't fit in with your belief system.

However those people,including myself have the right to hold alternative views and express them on these forums.

You are making massive generalisations yourself about other posters....I certainly don't knock new players because I'm a fan of the old ones who rowett can't or won't use in his system.

I've supported Derby since the 1970's,played in the junior rams for years and loved Derby ever since then.....but that doesn't mean I have to go with the current populist opinions on rowett and his playing style.Im a ram not a sheep.

I am on record as stating I much preferred how we played under Mac.I don't particularly enjoy the way we play and I don't like losing either our flair or flair players.......that's up to me tho,I still go to most matches and support the team,I still cheer each and every player onto the pitch and I still go mental when we score......

I aways sensed that much of the success under Jim Smith was down to McClaren and it was devastating when he left for Man Utd, just when we could really have been going places. And so disappointing that it always seemed as though Fergie was a bit ignorant in the matter but asked around about who was the best coach in England and most people told him it was McClaren and I understand why Stee couldn't refuse the opportunity.

On managing us, it says in the piece:

“Derby is something that motivates me,” he says. “We all need drive and motivation and some things you have to charge yourself and some things are external and that was a big disappointment. What happened the first time could have been avoided and I take responsibility for that, but I felt the second time was totally unjust. What we’d planned from the beginning was, ‘Keep us away from relegation, get us safe’.”

For me, McClaren One was a massively mutually beneficial partnership where we could have really gone places together. Steve and Derby were a perfect fit and just worked. We had saved his career and he was going to turn us into a footballing force and that would rehabilitate him in the nation's eyes more that anyone else. I don't have any inside knowledge of what happened with Newcastle. I tried to defend him at the time, because once you start responding to the media and denyonog one link it's never enough and you spend all your time denying other things. However, what he should have done is say he wasn't interested in going anywhere, that he and Derby were special and were going to build something special together. Newcastle was a poisoned chalice and an idiotic move to have even considered but my sense is he did consider it and broke the trust with Mel and the club and you can't rebuild that. The whole episode was classic Derby, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. He says he takes responsibility for it now, but I don't think he really understands because my sense of him is that I think he feels he was bigger than us and should have been at a different club, and we were always going to be a stepping stone. This is entirely supposition on my part.

Never go back. But I was pleased when he came for McClaren Two, but it was never the same because the trust was broken. It's a bit like Ross and Rachel where she says he cheated on her and he says they were on a break, and it is a grey area but it's always the elephant in the room in the background and you wonder when he's going to do it again. I thought it was childish last Friday to say "only one team played football" and then say it wasn't us. Ultimately his weakness in management is his inflexibility. Rowett is gradually building us into the sort of team that McClaren crashed and burnt against when his resurgent Rams went to Leicester and lost 4-1, quite simply overpowered despite all our free-flowing attacking football that season.

Surely the whole Steve McClaren episode has run its natural course!

He’s had his stint at management and for what ever reason has come up short of expectations.

By consensus he is a coach and not a manager and maybe if he has a desire to get back into football this is where his focus should now be.

Archived