Steve McClaren on Management, Comebacks and err...Israel (The Times)

Nuwtfly

34 minutes ago, Ninos said:

There’s far more to his utter incompetence as a manager than just man management, which in fairness was prob more of a strength (if it’s fun guy who gets along with people). What he did at Newcastle no one could have done - it was that titanic a failure to get a team that good relegated.

Listening to Keogh talk about GR bringing Jerome in to “offer something different” contrasts pointedly with Mcclaren bringing carbon copies of players in to force them into one system - a system that  every half witted manager had figured out how to beat. Plus he would force non wingers like Blackman and Vyds to go play on the wing. And so it went.

He will never manage at PL level again and would be a miracle appointment at this level. Yes he’s a joke. The fact that a few peeps here take him - so seriously (because they were entertained for a while) is mind boggling.

Typically, if you’re having to tell half truths or flat lies to add weight to your point you probably should reconsider your viewpoint 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

how interesting so you saying BC isnt a legend for the rams?

Nope bc was a legend for the rams as was Dave Mac ,, Steve Mac most certainly was not 

6 hours ago, Seaside Sam said:

whilst getting us nowhere

Does a manager have to win something or achieve promotion to have 'got us somewhere'?

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Does a manager have to win something or achieve promotion to have 'got us somewhere'?

Yes!! 

Because that's the standard of our club. Every manager who hasn't achieved mid table in the top flight is a failure.

Because let me tell you something right now. A club like Derby derseves to be somewhere. And that somewhere is in the middle of nowhere in the top tier!! 

Top flight or *****! That's the motto

Just now, Alpha said:

Yes!! 

Because that's the standard of our club. Every manager who hasn't achieved mid table in the top flight is a failure.

Because let me tell you something right now. A club like Derby derseves to be somewhere. And that somewhere is in the middle of nowhere in the top tier!! 

No club deserves to be anywhere.

Unsurprising barrage of assault on Schteve from the usual suspects. I have nothing but adoration for the bloke.

His spell with Jim Smith aside, he pulled a team from mid-table mediocrity into the strongest attacking force in the league, achieving our record points total in less than a full season. I'd have thought the 5-0 against forest would have turned a few more heads too. Had us in a solid position in his second season before the team was decimated by injuries, including his marquee signing of the summer. We can only speculate as to the role the Newcastle link had in that decline, I think that's been largely overstated though.

While Rowett has achieved arguably less than McClaren at this point, I certainly wouldn't say he's accomplished nothing. Delivering consistent positive results and putting pride back into the team and excitement among the fans is an achievement in and of itself. If you can't enjoy times like McClarens first tenure or things right now, and are only happy with promotion or silverware, you probably need another hobby. 

16 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Unsurprising barrage of assault on Schteve from the usual suspects. I have nothing but adoration for the bloke.

His spell with Jim Smith aside, he pulled a team from mid-table mediocrity into the strongest attacking force in the league, achieving our record points total in less than a full season. I'd have thought the 5-0 against forest would have turned a few more heads too. Had us in a solid position in his second season before the team was decimated by injuries, including his marquee signing of the summer. We can only speculate as to the role the Newcastle link had in that decline, I think that's been largely overstated though.

While Rowett has achieved arguably less than McClaren at this point, I certainly wouldn't say he's accomplished nothing. Delivering consistent positive results and putting pride back into the team and excitement among the fans is an achievement in and of itself. If you can't enjoy times like McClarens first tenure or things right now, and are only happy with promotion or silverware, you probably need another hobby. 

...he's hit that on the up and it's sailing high over the mid-off boundary for a 6. No need to chase that one you McClaren-knockers. A full-ish delivery on the off stump but wixman1884 saw it coming, stepped down the track and bam....chase that one...:mellow:

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

A friend and his son watched the game. They were almost as distraught as me about the outcome, until their team (Atletico Madrid) lost in the final of the Champions League that same evening to Real Madrid after leading until the 96th minute.

That's was unbelievable. As an underdog, I was rooting for AM and to be leading until OT was tragic. To lose to Real (who appear to get everything their way in Madrid and Spain) is the ultimate kick in the whatsits. So typical of both sides and  a real sickener for their fans to live through and with. I really like their manager and at that time he'd broke the Spanish monopoly so it would've been great if they'd won the EC.

Didnt they lose in the final again a year or two after too?!

I've been to both grounds to see games and the difference in supporters, culture, wealth, surroundings etc is so noticeable. Simeone absolutely optimises Atletico. Would love him at Derby...... after Gary obviously.

Just now, Alpha said:

Are you sure? 

Because anything below promotion is "failure"

So it seems.....

Reckon 95% of our managers we ever had must have failed then.:D

20 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Unsurprising over rating of Mac from the usual suspects too ,,, why then is there no clamour to employ him now in any job of note ? Why are the vast majority of football folk so out of step with a number of derby fans who blindly refuse to see any negatives in him and see only positives ,,, personally I acknowledge his positives in his time with us and his other successes too but on balance I would not have him back as manager and can’t call him a legend for derby 

2 minutes ago, archied said:

Unsurprising over rating of Mac from the usual suspects too ,,, why then is there no clamour to employ him now in any job of note ? Why are the vast majority of football folk so out of step with a number of derby fans who blindly refuse to see any negatives in him and see only positives ,,, personally I acknowledge his positives in his time with us and his other successes too but on balance I would not have him back as manager and can’t call him a legend for derby 

Agree he's not a legend. But hardly a failure or utterly incompetent as has been suggested.

57 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yes!! 

Damn right ! Now you’re talking sense at last. Hoorah!  Don’t settle for mediocrity!  We are a great club whether you like it or not.

7 minutes ago, archied said:

I don't think I'd have him back either to be honest. I'd still prefer us to look less like the away team at home to milwall, but I'm very happy with where we are and how things are developing. McClaren clearly doesn't fit very well at many clubs, hence his record is extremely polarized. The same could be said about a lot of good managers. He's definitely a massive risk for most clubs. I still hold him in very high regard, he's delivered amazing times to us, both as a coach and a manager and had pride park packed to the rafters.

12 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree he's not a legend. But hardly a failure or utterly incompetent as has been suggested.

Nah lol. He’s somewhere between failure and incompetence as many have suggested and as the whole county knows.

Archived