Steve McClaren on Management, Comebacks and err...Israel (The Times)

Nuwtfly

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great read. You can't help but like the man...flaws, warts and all. He will be a Derby legend.

My abiding memory...leaving that hotel on a windy morning after another great away victory...almost being blown away as he grappled for the team coach...guffawing uncontrollable. I so hope he gets that one last job somewhere :mellow:.

I wish it delved a little deeper into his second sacking.

I always felt and maintained that the results dropped because he tried to get us playing football again from January onwards. 

When he first came in it was backs to the wall with Ince given the freedom to be our entire attack effectively. This was a necessity at the time because of the situation he walked into. 

When he was reappointed the press release was all about him getting us playing good football again and he even states himself there that he was to get us clear of relegation.

Had he known results WERE the be all and end all would he have tried to evolve the team in January?  

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

I wish it delved a little deeper into his second sacking.

I always felt and maintained that the results dropped because he tried to get us playing football again from January onwards. 

When he first came in it was backs to the wall with Ince given the freedom to be our entire attack effectively. This was a necessity at the time because of the situation he walked into. 

When he was reappointed the press release was all about him getting us playing good football again and he even states himself there that he was to get us clear of relegation.

Had he known results WERE the be all and end all would he have tried to evolve the team in January?  

I do wonder sometimes if McClaren was sacked (second time around) purely because Mel wanted Rowett. He would of got us to the end of the season safe, for sure (which, as he states, was his brief). Seems harsh on reflection. 

The man don’t fool most peeps. He was great as Jim Smith and Ferguson’s sidekick, and prob Jordis too. That’s where it ends sadly. Tactically inept, he could get a Scottish team or a lower championship or league one side, at a push. Otherwise it’s all she wrote for him.

I didn't agree with sacking him second time round, I thought sticking with it was the way to go (we didn't make the play offs anyway) but I was happy we appointed Rowett, even though he's a pragmatist rather than a purist like McClaren. It's easy to make fun of him, he certainly has faults as a manager but merits as a coach.

I quite like him even if i found him irritating last friday.

Oh, and Scottish football will always treasure his achievements with England.

4 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I do wonder sometimes if McClaren was sacked (second time around) purely because Mel wanted Rowett. He would of got us to the end of the season safe, for sure (which, as he states, was his brief). Seems harsh on reflection. 

Ive always believed that you be the case.....if rowett hadn't suddenly become available then I'm sure that Mac would have had at least until the end of the summer and probably continued this season.

Not quite sure why mel had a preference for rowett esp in view of his preference for playing the Derby way.....mind you,that got pretty confusing in itself.

Anyway,enjoyed the article....nice to be able to know him a little better although I've always enjoyed his football in any case.

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

The man don’t fool most peeps. He was great as Jim Smith and Ferguson’s sidekick, and prob Jordis too. That’s where it ends sadly. Tactically inept, he could get a Scottish team or a lower championship or league one side, at a push. Otherwise it’s all she wrote for him.

He's a manager who needs the right tools in place to succeed, or the time to put the right tools in place. Like most managers, he can work to a high level if the pieces are in place.

Football nowadays doesn't give you the time to put the right pieces in place.

Mel certainly didn't him the time he deserved. He shipped him out despite our team at the time clearly not being built for McClaren's style of football. That was incredibly harsh considering he only had a January transfer window to work with.

I reckon McClaren could flourish at a Brentford or Fulham right now. He'd have both in the top six,

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

He's a manager who needs the right tools in place to succeed, or the time to put the right tools in place. Like most managers, he can work to a high level if the pieces are in place.

Football nowadays doesn't give you the time to put the right pieces in place.

Mel certainly didn't him the time he deserved. He shipped him out despite our team at the time clearly not being built for McClaren's style of football. That was incredibly harsh considering he only had a January transfer window to work with.

I reckon McClaren could flourish at a Brentford or Fulham right now. He'd have both in the top six,

Time? 

Well, if you think 15 minutes against Ipswich is needing time then fair enough.

12 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

That doesn't seem like a big leap of the imagination tbh. 

12 hours ago, Ninos said:

ABSOLUTLEY

Archived