Darren Bent - joined Burton on loan

Stripperg-ram

58 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Find it hard to believe anyone would want to take him he's 34 next month He's been poor since we resigned him on the 8th June 2015 We've played 118 league games since then he's appeared ( not started) in 48 of them and the odd cup game 

Shh, don't tell them he's past it!!! ?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Darren bent will still score goals the type of player bent is he will never be passed it, if you create chances for him he will score goals (sorry to say it but I would have bent over Martin anyday)

Martin is better than Bent.

I’ll leave it at that as I’ll get less likes if I explain any more :ph34r:

His contract is up at end of season..... release him then.... but up until then keep him in squad..... as much as I don't rate him.... im certain he will get us a couple of goals before the end of the season to convert draws into wins..... those 4 points may be the difference between 2nd and 3rd place

19 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Burton would be perfect for him as long as we don’t end up leaving ourselves short if we have other departures 

Agreed. We can't let both Martin and Bent go unless we get another striker in.  Unless you believe Weimann or Russell can be 3rd choice central striker (which I don't)

Bent will always get goals if he gets service. I'm not sure where he fits in for us at the moment but as long as he's fit I'd keep him for the next few months until his contract runs out.

4 is the magic number for strikers for me. I've said a few times that depth will be important. Counting Vydra as a separate position that Lawrence or similar would fill. It's very easy for 2 to be missing through anything from sales, ineligibility, injury, suspension or fatigue, and then Bent becomes your option off the bench. I'd much rather have him fill in than putting the likes of Russell up top - especially for cruch games or the play offs.

Another school of thought is that if we get a good late bid for Martin and can't bring in a replacement then having Bent around allows you to accept that.

All the same if we do a bit more juggling and have enough bodies to be able to let him go and even if it just saves us 5k a week then get the papers ready to be faxed at 10:59 or whatever.

1 hour ago, feisty said:

Agreed. We can't let both Martin and Bent go unless we get another striker in.  Unless you believe Weimann or Russell can be 3rd choice central striker (which I don't)

Or unless they back someone like Offrande Zanzala can step up in an emergency? I've not seen enough of him regularly to judge, but I expect if they were relying on an U23 they wouldn't have loaned out Vernam. 

Archived