Pets

Bob Gnarly

I chuckled at the name "Biscuit".. Bless. 😄 Clearly a dog feeling the love if that photo is anything to go by. Asterix looks a star too. Bet he's a handful. We made the mistake of thinking our older dog is so chilled out that we would find it easy to raise another. But our puppy is an absolute crackhead! Wouldn't change him but if he was a child, we'd be dragged into school cos of the behaviour! 😄

We drove to my parents house the other day (3-4hrs in the car) and took the dogs with us.  Whilst we were there we all decided to have a meal from the local chip shop, so my wife and I nipped out to fetch them.  Apparently our dogs weren't too happy that we had left them behind.

Later that day when it came time to go we started gathering our belongings, putting our shoes on etc and were faced with this scene by the front door.  I don't think they were going to let us leave on our own again!

IMG_20240519_161715.jpg

51 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We drove to my parents house the other day (3-4hrs in the car) and took the dogs with us.  Whilst we were there we all decided to have a meal from the local chip shop, so my wife and I nipped out to fetch them.  Apparently our dogs weren't too happy that we had left them behind.

Later that day when it came time to go we started gathering our belongings, putting our shoes on etc and were faced with this scene by the front door.  I don't think they were going to let us leave on our own again!

IMG_20240519_161715.jpg

Ha ! 😄

Miniature Schnauzers ? How do you find them ? Me and the other half are working from home these days and a dog is a now a much more realistic prospect (previously both office-based) and my wife is quite keen to get a Miniature Schnauzer at some stage. She mainly just loves how they look as she thinks that they look like real characters and we don't want a huge dog, so size-wise they tick the box too.

27 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Ha ! 😄

Miniature Schnauzers ? How do you find them ? Me and the other half are working from home these days and a dog is a now a much more realistic prospect (previously both office-based) and my wife is quite keen to get a Miniature Schnauzer at some stage. She mainly just loves how they look as she thinks that they look like real characters and we don't want a huge dog, so size-wise they tick the box too.

They are great dogs, distinctive looks and fantastic personalities.

We did our research before picking a dog and liked the fact that they are one of the more intelligent and inquisitive breeds - the downside to that is they need lots of interaction and stimulation, great if you're at home all day like us and are happy to take them on walks to varied places, not so much if you work fulltime and enjoy a social life (in which case I'm strongly against people having dogs in the first place, they are social animals!)

They are great at learning tricks should you wish and learning whats the right and wrong thing to do in house/on walks etc.  They can be a bit yappy if not entertained enough and are great alarm dogs - they will bark when someone is at the door etc.  Being a small dog they don't eat you out of house and home nor leave a huge mess you have to haul around with you when you take them for a walk!

On the downside, they can be too clever and inquisitive for their own good.  Imagine you've got a 2yo, so everything has to go up a level in your house!  They also know a surprising number of words, we have to talk in code at times so they don't know if we're having sausages for tea (and instantly want them now!) or know we're going out later and start to sulk 😛

They also require clipping regularly.  Unless you are going to do it yourself, our 2 cost £70 every 6 weeks - factor that into your food, vet, insurance bills. 

That aside, they are great dogs, generally fit and healthy, really loyal, fun loving, alert and happy if you give them enough time.  Because they are relatively small and active, a couple of decent walks a day will tire them out and they will happily sleep by your feet/on your knee the rest of the time - that the the odd walk around the perimeter of your property to check everything is as it should be!

On 14/08/2024 at 21:53, Nuwtfly said:

I lost my best friend over the weekend after he had a sudden heart attack. It was, by far, the worst day of my life. 

Please don’t sweat the small stuff with your pets and appreciate every second you have with them. They love us unconditionally and we are so lucky to have them in our lives x

IMG_0773.jpeg

Sorry to hear this. Hope your pain turns to fond happy memories sooner than later

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

They are great dogs, distinctive looks and fantastic personalities.

We did our research before picking a dog and liked the fact that they are one of the more intelligent and inquisitive breeds - the downside to that is they need lots of interaction and stimulation, great if you're at home all day like us and are happy to take them on walks to varied places, not so much if you work fulltime and enjoy a social life (in which case I'm strongly against people having dogs in the first place, they are social animals!)

They are great at learning tricks should you wish and learning whats the right and wrong thing to do in house/on walks etc.  They can be a bit yappy if not entertained enough and are great alarm dogs - they will bark when someone is at the door etc.  Being a small dog they don't eat you out of house and home nor leave a huge mess you have to haul around with you when you take them for a walk!

On the downside, they can be too clever and inquisitive for their own good.  Imagine you've got a 2yo, so everything has to go up a level in your house!  They also know a surprising number of words, we have to talk in code at times so they don't know if we're having sausages for tea (and instantly want them now!) or know we're going out later and start to sulk 😛

They also require clipping regularly.  Unless you are going to do it yourself, our 2 cost £70 every 6 weeks - factor that into your food, vet, insurance bills. 

That aside, they are great dogs, generally fit and healthy, really loyal, fun loving, alert and happy if you give them enough time.  Because they are relatively small and active, a couple of decent walks a day will tire them out and they will happily sleep by your feet/on your knee the rest of the time - that the the odd walk around the perimeter of your property to check everything is as it should be!

That's great, many thanks for the detailed response ! Some useful food for thought there. Social life is very low key and occasional these days and our local pub are big dog fans and encourage you to bring yours with you and their FB page has lots of pics of their doggy customers.

We're in a pretty leafy area here with plenty of parks and woodland and open countryside nearby and my other half is very much a morning person and tends to leap out of bed early. She's previously owned dogs and is not remotely put off by the prospect of lots of dog walks again ! Might even get our teenaged son out of his pit of a morning at weekends as he's very much into the idea too - although that might be expecting to much! We're trying to do minimum 10,000 steps a day these days because we found that we can occasionally get stuck at our desks at home (due to no reason to step away) and dogs won't let that happen and give you a great reason to get out and about. It's great to not have the daily office slog these days though.

No immediate hurry as it's likely to be a while yet due to other factors, but I just thought I'd start to check out some info on breeds, so thanks for the info. As you say, not a commitment to take lightly.

'Small and Active' and 'Needs lots of interaction' sounds like my wife 😉...  I was gifted a Miniature Schnauzer Calendar for Xmas as I had one pointed out to me and said casually that I liked how they looked.. very subtle hint !

28 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

That's great, many thanks for the detailed response ! Some useful food for thought there. Social life is very low key and occasional these days and our local pub are big dog fans and encourage you to bring yours with you and their FB page has lots of pics of their doggy customers.

We're in a pretty leafy area here with plenty of parks and woodland and open countryside nearby and my other half is very much a morning person and tends to leap out of bed early. She's previously owned dogs and is not remotely put off by the prospect of lots of dog walks again ! Might even get our teenaged son out of his pit of a morning at weekends as he's very much into the idea too - although that might be expecting to much! We're trying to do minimum 10,000 steps a day these days because we found that we can occasionally get stuck at our desks at home (due to no reason to step away) and dogs won't let that happen and give you a great reason to get out and about. It's great to not have the daily office slog these days though.

No immediate hurry as it's likely to be a while yet due to other factors, but I just thought I'd start to check out some info on breeds, so thanks for the info. As you say, not a commitment to take lightly.

'Small and Active' and 'Needs lots of interaction' sounds like my wife 😉...  I was gifted a Miniature Schnauzer Calendar for Xmas as I had one pointed out to me and said casually that I liked how they looked.. very subtle hint !

You're welcome, just ask if you want to know anything else, these are our 2nd and 3rd Miniature Schnauzers now and if we ever have another puppy we'd get another.

Whatever you do don't tell your missus about Chumpie the Dog on youtube else the 'no immediate hurry' might suddenly become one!  I often thought about filming ours and making them 'famous' but was never that organized.

1 hour ago, Alph said:

Sorry to hear this. Hope your pain turns to fond happy memories sooner than later

Thank you. Still just painful at the moment. He was my little shadow and I'm not sure how I will ever really get used to him not being by my side all day long. Working from home has become something I dread now, rather than love, too.

I know time is the great healer, though, so just getting my head down and trying to get through it. 

On 14/08/2024 at 21:53, Nuwtfly said:

I lost my best friend over the weekend after he had a sudden heart attack. It was, by far, the worst day of my life. 

Please don’t sweat the small stuff with your pets and appreciate every second you have with them. They love us unconditionally and we are so lucky to have them in our lives x

IMG_0773.jpeg

Really feel your pain, @Nuwtfly. My mum's current dog is the 7th we have had as a family since 1968. Jasmine is 13 years old today. She is a golden coloured cairn terrier and the average life expectancy for cairns is 14. We have had 2 cairns before and lost them both at 14 to cancer. Jasmine had fits earlier on in the year but they seem to have stopped after we changed her harness to a much looser one in March. My mum has alzheimers and vascular dementia, kidney failure and heart failure. Sometimes it feels as if they are both slipping away gradually despite my best efforts. Your dog looks so happy and contented in the photo and it's so easy to say that you gave him a wonderful life but it's hard to be stoic when your loss is so great. X

33 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Really feel your pain, @Nuwtfly. My mum's current dog is the 7th we have had as a family since 1968. Jasmine is 13 years old today. She is a golden coloured cairn terrier and the average life expectancy for cairns is 14. We have had 2 cairns before and lost them both at 14 to cancer. Jasmine had fits earlier on in the year but they seem to have stopped after we changed her harness to a much looser one in March. My mum has alzheimers and vascular dementia, kidney failure and heart failure. Sometimes it feels as if they are both slipping away gradually despite my best efforts. Your dog looks so happy and contented in the photo and it's so easy to say that you gave him a wonderful life but it's hard to be stoic when your loss is so great. X

Thank you, that’s really kind. I am so glad I let him sleep on the end of the bed, spoilt him and give him the odd extra treat now! We never expected to lose him at the age he was at. I’ve never really gone through something like this before but I’m told it gets easier. 

Edited by Nuwtfly