We're coming after you Wolves

B4ev6is

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Could need 54 points from 24 games to get top 2

win 3 out of 4 to the end of the season?

over the past 14 games we have 9w 3d 2L so we would need to do even better than that,

over the past 12 we have 9w 1d 2L which would be good enough.

But to do it we need wins and must not be tempted to settle for draws (especially away) which might imply a change to a more attacking philosophy.

big ask.

It is a big ask. We've found our form away. It's our home form that would concern me a little. Especially now teams are going to shut up knowing that we can struggle to dictate and break them down. Milwall will be very interesting as it's the type of game we've found tough in recent years.

I think we've improved over the season so I hope we can retain away form and dominate more at home. Performances are better.

We can only win our games though. You get the feeling we can challenge top two if we go for 3 points every game. I'd prefer to avoid the play offs personally!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

We don't need 54 points, or 48 points, we need to be 7pts better than Cardiff and 4pts better than Bristol, there isn't a magic number, you have to do better than your competition.

...and better than sheff utd, and better than aston villa, and better than middlesbro, leeds, sheff wed, reading, fulham etc etc. 

I don't think we have much chance of overtaking Wolves this season unless something drastically went wrong for them and they ended up losing the majority of their fixtures between now and when the season ends - Of course this would be based on the assumption that we won all of our games up until the end of the season.

In terms of where we could finish based off our current performance and league position? I think that if we keep up our current form then there's a certain possibility that we could finish the season in 2nd place which would give us automatic promotion.

I know all teams and fans want to finish in the automatic promotion spots - If we did finish with a playoff position, what team(s) would be the best for us to secure a Premier League place?

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

...and better than sheff utd, and better than aston villa, and better than middlesbro, leeds, sheff wed, reading, fulham etc etc. 

We don’t have to be better than any of those. They all have less and in some cases, considerably less points than us. So equal or slightly worse than those will suffice 

The reasonable target is > 90 points for automatic promotion. 

+50-52-54 thats the sort of number we are likely to need judging by previous seasons.

we were well off the pace for the first quarter of the season.

we have done very well in the second quarter.

If we beat millwall we will have 44 points at the half way stage.

88 points is not likely to be enough.

But looking forward to the next 24 games.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The reasonable target is > 90 points for automatic promotion. 

+50-52-54 thats the sort of number we are likely to need judging by previous seasons.

we were well off the pace for the first quarter of the season.

we have done very well in the second quarter.

If we beat millwall we will have 44 points at the half way stage.

88 points is not likely to be enough.

But looking forward to the next 24 games.

If we did manage that, it would set a record for us wouldn't it? Can't ask much more. From there on if anyone can pip us good luck to them.

I'm in favour of forgetting it and enjoying each game as it comes (or not). If we're 3 points better off relative to Bristol and Cardiff than we are now come Easter, and have maintained 4th...it's game on.

Understand the logic used here, but everyone is assuming that Wolves are going to keep up

with the same defensive and attacking standard, when the odds are that they won't. Cardiff are 

already on a mini wobble for me, and are certain to drop points. 

The last 3 results show that Wolves are in fact dropping off their own pace, so this is

our time - lets see how they get on against some inform teams.

When we were champions in 87, at the half way stage we had:

12 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats = 40 points

then in the second half of the season we got:

13 wins, 5 draws and 3 defeats = 44 points

We got better as the season went on and the other teams ahead of us at half way such as Oldham and Portsmouth couldn't keep going as strongly. 

A win today would give us a half way report of:

13 wins, 5 draws and 5 defeats = 44 points. 

This is very similar to King Arthur's half way report. (There were less games that season due to the reshaping of the leagues. Only 2 got promoted and Sunderland went down in a play off with Gillingham). At xmas the season looked good but 2 promotions in a row seemed a bit much. However, some good xmas results and then tonking top team Oldham away 4-1 in the new year set us up for the charge to the title. 

Im not saying it will be done, but it CAN be done. Nothing is impossible and as history demonstrates, when a team gets momentum, the points keep stacking up. 

Nothing is won today except 3 points (hopefully) but if we do win today then the auto's are achievable.

Over the last 15 games wolves have gained 4 points more than us.

Over the last 10 games wolves have gained 3 points more than us.

Over the last 5 games wolves have gained 1 point more than us.

So we are in no way closing the gap, it's just widening at a slower rate. That said, any side can implode after Christmas, as we know only too well.

Archived