Low attendance

REDCAR

Attendances are used as a stick to beat the manager with, I’m sure some are staying away due to a lack of entertainment for them personally but it’s early days to say they are down in general due to the football.

Saturday we took over 3k down to Fulham, it’s a fair whack going to games these days, throw in a trip up to Boro it’s an expensive week for some.

We also have RamsTV and frequent flyers, was always going to be interesting to see if it had any effect on attendances, are we seeing that now perhaps slightly?

Seems slightly daft to be talking of low numbers, a club that has been in the Championship now for 10 seasons still averaging 26k, 23k on a Tuesday night close to Xmas with only 300 away fans.

West Brom v Chelsea, Saturday 3pm, 23,592.

22,848 up at Boro tonight v Birmingham, 400 away fans. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt a multitude of reasons for the drop. The feel good factor of having a rich owner has worn off, I think some mistakenly thought money would guarantee success. The football isn’t good/entertaining enough to tempt any wavering  fans back and the pricing needs looking at. Derby treat anyone over 18 as an adult, most 18/19 year olds are either at uni, college or even if working will be on very low pay. They don’t have the means to pay full whack. 

30 minutes ago, Doodle said:

No doubt a multitude of reasons for the drop. The feel good factor of having a rich owner has worn off, I think some mistakenly thought money would guarantee success. The football isn’t good/entertaining enough to tempt any wavering  fans back and the pricing needs looking at. Derby treat anyone over 18 as an adult, most 18/19 year olds are either at uni, college or even if working will be on very low pay. They don’t have the means to pay full whack. 

The last couple of sentences are very important and a concern for football as a whole in the UK. 

A whole generation is being priced out of attending live matches and attendances are dropping in the premier league too.

Does anyone know how many ST holders we have though? Was talking to the chap next to me about how many “walking in off the street”.... (ie. none ST).... v QPR... 2k, 3k...? max..?

It’s just crap to see the stands with so many empty seats :( does this have an impact on players..... watching the highlights - the North Stand lower was empty.... watching Vydra celebrate saw about 2 or 3 fans applauding.

Not a clue what my point is though here, I’ll go back to sleep...... shut up Redcar.

12 hours ago, Doodle said:

I'm don't know about match tickets, but ST's have a young adult category, 19 to 22 yrs old I think.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

I'm don't know about match tickets, but ST's have a young adult category, 19 to 22 yrs old I think.

Both lads are at uni now, so for the first time in ages they can’t get to attend that many games, so not bothering with ST now. I’m in a lucky position to be able to afford it but the Forest game alone was over 100 quid. That’s just the 3 tickets, add on how much uni students can eat and drink in a 3 hour window when dads paying and it’s a dear day out. We go to plenty of away games and I can’t remember the last time they were charged full whack I’m sure I read the average age of someone attending football is 41 these days. If something isn’t done to get kids in and keep them through their young adult years. Attendances will continue to drop off as the over 41’s pop their clogs 

A Derby team that's in around the play-off's around November is nothing new at this point. This run would have been the most exciting thing in the world in 2012, we'd be getting 33,000 easy.

It's expected now just as much as us falling off after Christmas is expected. If we still look good in March, that's when attendances will pick up.

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

A Derby team that's in around the play-off's around November is nothing new at this point. This run would have been the most exciting thing in the world in 2012, we'd be getting 33,000 easy.

It's expected now just as much as us falling off after Christmas is expected. If we still look good in March, that's when attendances will pick up.

Nail. Head.

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

#fairweather fans? :p

58 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Glory supporters. 

Archived