Low attendance

REDCAR

Last night saw the lowest league attendance I’ve seen in a while. Results to be fair (bar Reading) of late have been decent and we find ourselves in the top 6..... is this simply down to 1) none entertaining football or B) price of tickets....?

ps. 3) how many seasons tickets holders roughly have we got? I proudly own two.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that’s not really that bothered about the attendances falling a bit? If people choose not to go that’s their decision, il still be going so I don’t really care.

Personally I think our attendances are naturally levelling out as the last of the bandwagoners are hopping back off. Between 20/24k is their natural level, it was only really after Wembley they sat at around 29/30K. Then as the chance of promotion has got smaller so have the crowds. 

Make no mistake about it though if this team got to Wembley playing exactly the way it is now the wagon would be overloaded.

Just now, froggg said:

The quality or the fare (entertainment factor) has led to despondency, in my humble opinion.

I’m guessing though by entertainment factor you mean because we don’t have 70% of the and play triangles all game in nothing areas of the pitch. Last night for example we created 4 clear cut chances where it was attacker v goalkeeper, if anything you could say were very effiencint in that we do a hell of a lot more with the ball when we have seeing as we don’t have the vast majority of possession. 

Its a worrying trend. I think attendances were slightly down last season, but the drop in numbers seems more severe this season.

Our average attendance this season, so far is 26559. Forest got more than us last night!

I suspect the style of play may have something to do with it..

Proud owner of 4 season tickets

5 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’m guessing though by entertainment factor you mean because we don’t have 70% of the and play triangles all game in nothing areas of the pitch.

I'm guessing he doesn't.

As has been discussed a million times over the past 24 hours. There is somewhere in-between. 

The constant changes we’ve had over last couple of years the biggest factor by far.

Lets hope Mr Morris is learning his lessons..... judging by sticking with Rowett so far (8 months a long time for a manager here lately)..... that stability (slowly)eventually brings back everything that was wonderful about this club.

Just now, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I personally think given time we will find ourselves “somewhere in-between” I mean we’re not exactly far off now.

I've still got faith we can get there too, we might just have to grin and bear it for a bit. The results certainly soften the blow. 

I think we're quite a way off doing it consistently, we struggle to put a good period of play together but we're doing enough in the 15/20 minute periods to get results. If we can extend that out to 45/60 minutes I'll be happier. We seem to be underperforming for a whole half every match at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I've still got faith we can get there too, we might just have to grin and bear it for a bit. The results certainly soften the blow. 

I think we're quite a way off doing it consistently, we struggle to put a good period of play together but we're doing enough in the 15/20 minute periods to get results. If we can extend that out to 45/60 minutes I'll be happier. We seem to be underperforming for a whole half every match at the moment. 

Agreed, it can be frustrating at times when we start playing we create very good opportunities but then Wel go off the boil for a long period. If we could find the consistency to play that way for 60/70 minutes we’d be looking at autos IMO, I think GR may need another summer window to get the personal to be able to do that though.

I look forward to the "anyone got a spare customer number" threads if we somehow get to a playoff final.

If we do reach "the promised land" I'm sure the fans who are choosing to stay away for many reasons will do the same. Before anyone picks at that I don't mean people who have financial, family, work commitments that stop them.

"I'm not coming cuz rowetts football is crap... What's that we are in the playoffs? Anyone got a spare customer number they aren't using"

I can only speak for the people I know that didn’t go last night, of which were quite a few.  There is an air of expectation that we will fail based upon the poor brand of football that we are serving up and that 7th best in this league is nothing really to shout about.

however I fully expect should we establish ourselves as a top 6 team the attendances will rise again regardless of performance levels.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Agreed, it can be frustrating at times when we start playing we create very good opportunities but then Wel go off the boil for a long period. If we could find the consistency to play that way for 60/70 minutes we’d be looking at autos IMO, I think GR may need another summer window to get the personal to be able to do that though.

The problem is we can't attack against teams that just set up to defend, which is a big problem at home. That's why that goal in the first half allowed us to play so well in the second, they had to attack us. We can address it eventually I'm sure but I think this is going to be a problem for the rest of the season. 

We're set up perfectly for away games however, so I think we'll keep doing well on the road.

16 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interestingly last night was the lowest attendance since We lost 1-0 at home to Millwall in March 2014 under Mac1, so even when we were like Barcelona the attendances could still be low ? 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/numbers-behind-derby-countys-lowest-817944.amp

For a Tuesday night game against a team like qpr, who won't Bring many fans, 23,000 isn't all that bad, and not the drastically low unheard of number some are making it out to be. 

7 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

For a Tuesday night game against a team like qpr, who won't Bring many fans, 23,000 isn't all that bad, and not the drastically low unheard of number some are making it out to be. 

Agree. Tuesday night, no away fans, new series of I'm a Celebrity, always going to be a low turnout.

36 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I put it down to austerity.

(Cue for 30 pages of political argument)

Anyone but Gary would be guaranteeing us that if they were in charge they would scrap admission charges, get 3 points every game or the team would refund travel costs and loss of earnings.

They wouldn't bother to say how the cost of running the club would be met as long as they got a majority of crazed supporters to slander the current team and management and believe a pack of lies.

If it don't work at Westminster it won't work in DE24 8XL!

Archived