Fair weather fans

Curtains

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ramit said:

Oh these demands for success and to be entertained are just ludicrous and those issuing them are half fans at best, quarter fans i'd say, or better yet plastic fans.   A true fan shows up rain or shine, home or away tiki taka or hoofball in sickness and in health and happily departs with a substantial slice of their income to tightly gather to sing strange songs in support of their on the field heroes.  They may allow themselves to foster hopes for a minor cup streak or even a play-off position but only in moderation and after reminding themselves of the true purpose for their existence.

On a lighter note

Booers will be Rammed

I really hope this is satire.

Just now, wixman1884 said:

If entertainment (be it playing style, fluidity, passion, excitement, etc) is of so little importance, lets just toss a f*cking coin to decide who wins each game and we can all find a different hobby.

Nah mate it's all about winning games we don't personally compete in so we can swing our d**** around at work and tell our colleagues that the team we support is better than theirs. We simple HAVE to have the biggest football penis at work.

1 minute ago, lrm14 said:

Nah mate it's all about winning games we don't personally compete in so we can swing our d**** around at work and tell our colleagues that the team we support is better than theirs. We simple HAVE to have the biggest football penis at work.

Ha! nail on the head. 

I personally prefer having a team to be proud of - 3rd in the league and top goalscorers to boot - a team that everyone was excited about and all the pundits were talking about. Means a hell of a lot more to me, especially as success anything but guaranteed as things are. The first 45 yesterday was as bad as I've seen I think, and that's including the Jewell era. 

9 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Ha! nail on the head. 

I personally prefer having a team to be proud of - 3rd in the league and top goalscorers to boot - a team that everyone was excited about and all the pundits were talking about. Means a hell of a lot more to me, especially as success anything but guaranteed as things are. The first 45 yesterday was as bad as I've seen I think, and that's including the Jewell era. 

It's one of the things about the 13/14 season which had everyone buzzing, it wasn't just us raving about our side but it was the league. I remember getting the WCS at the end of the season and a lot of teams had us as their admired team simply because of the stuff we played.

At least with the Jewell era you can see we had some absolute crap in the side, so it makes sense we played crap football. This squad is extremely talented though, which makes it a bit harder to swallow for me. 

I live 115 miles away from Derby so a trip to watch them costs around £100 minimum. My last Rams match was Bristol City away which was a hideous experience; the one before that was Brentford away. I want to see entertaining football, not the stuff we currently play and even though we are in the top six I feel no inclination to go and watch the team at the moment. The chap I normally go with, who like me travelled home and away through the Division 3/post Maxwell Division 2 years etc feels exactly the same. We are not ‘fairweather’ supporters, we just cannot regularly commit to watching football matches that for us these days are an expensive but dull experience.  

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Why is it a perfectably reasonable expectation to be entertained? Bet it doesn’t say you will be entertained on your ticket, only that it offers you admission to watch.

lf football was about entertainment we wouldn’t have League tables. At the end of 90 minutes you would have 4 judges stand up and mark the performance out of 10. 

Football, like all competitive sport, is about winning.  Getting to the end of the game and having 3 points. Getting to the end of the season and having the most points.  If you want to be entertained l would suggest you spend your money going to entertainment events.

I make you right (ish) there mate. However, why would you buy this ticket that entitiles you admission if it was not for the chance of being entertained? I agree there are no guarantees but at some point people reach a tipping point and say na... I would rather shop with the wife. 

If I wanted to be entertained each week I would be off to Man City (strangely they can't fill the ground at the moment). It's all about money, any club would/should be concerned if the punters don't start turning up. If it's not entertaining, then Sky stay away, advertisers stay away because we don't show up. Other revenues dwindle and then we can't afford or attract new talent. Slippery slope and even if Gary is a Morris love child, he will have to act. 

I would guess the die hard, go regardless, Derby fans is around 20,000. So as much as people bemoan the 'glory hunters' who turn up when we are winning... They are a necessity to the club.

So in essence you are right but the two have to go hand in hand. 

You don't often see the situation we are in at the moment with fans voting with their feet even allowing for the fact that results aint too bad. I cant remember this at Derby before (except with Nigel), we have always absolute dog poo, or really good. More poo though :angry:

Sandbanks.... WTF. If you lot move in you will wipe tens of thousands off my holiday home down there. :thumbsup:

57 minutes ago, Jayram said:

We are not ‘fairweather’ supporters, we just cannot regularly commit to watching football matches that for us these days are an expensive but dull experience.  

Fair enough about the expense, but if you find it dull, why not spend the money going to watch a match that you know will entertain you?   

I live 80 odd miles away from Derby now, so trips to watch the Rams are few and far between for me now. I still follow the Twitter and Rams TV, and interact on here. To some that would make me a plastic fan etc, but I'd pay my money to travel back when I can because I want to watch Derby play. That might not be enough for people who've been season ticket holders for X years, but it's enough for me.

Derby are my team, I will follow them no matter the quality of the team or our league position. I will always be happier on a Saturday evening with 3 points in the bag or a bit grumpy if we've lost.  

I defy any team to play entertaining football against those tactics first half. We scored so second half they had to change tactics and we played better. My female brain thought that, not whining about not being entertained. 

Anyway, low gate - bad weather, kids don’t need to be out late, people not well (I missed the previous game through illness), 2 expensive away trips, Christmas coming and lots to buy, QPR are dire, I could go on. Don’t think that the majority of non attenders are making any kind of protest. 

8 hours ago, lrm14 said:

I really hope this is satire.

It is.  It's the tribal nature of football that amuses me, the idea that it's not a choice to support your club but a duty.  i could just as easily have poked fun at the lack of loyalty by those only in it for the entertainment for i am more of the tribal type, which is ludicrous really when you take into account that i am a far away fan who has never been to a Derby game.

4 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

Fair enough about the expense, but if you find it dull, why not spend the money going to watch a match that you know will entertain you?   

I live 80 odd miles away from Derby now, so trips to watch the Rams are few and far between for me now. I still follow the Twitter and Rams TV, and interact on here. To some that would make me a plastic fan etc, but I'd pay my money to travel back when I can because I want to watch Derby play. That might not be enough for people who've been season ticket holders for X years, but it's enough for me.

Derby are my team, I will follow them no matter the quality of the team or our league position. I will always be happier on a Saturday evening with 3 points in the bag or a bit grumpy if we've lost.  

Totally agree with this. When you support a club and just can't imagine following any other, then that's what you do. I can understand fans not going to watch their team because of financial or travelling reasons but if they are not a factor then if you don't go when you can then in my eyes you are not a supporter.

I get it when people say entertainment value is poor - my God there have been seasons where it's been far, far worse than the current fayre. The current season isn't great I accept - but not for one minute would it put me off going to watch my team. If all you want is to be entertained then this week go and watch Man City or Arsenal or Wolves - they're all playing attractive, attacking football.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

It is.  It's the tribal nature of football that amuses me, the idea that it's not a choice to support your club but a duty.  i could just as easily have poked fun at the lack of loyalty by those only in it for the entertainment for i am more of the tribal type, which is ludicrous really when you take into account that i am a far away fan who has never been to a Derby game.

We need to change that, Ramit! Come to England soon!

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

We need to change that, Ramit! Come to England soon!

Thank you Angieram, i really want to of course.  It's a question of finance.  It's been one thing after another lately and our boy's coming of age ceremony is in the spring, but after that i might get room to save up again.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

where/how did you catch the bug?

mine is genetics

Just now, Spanish said:

where/how did you catch the bug?

mine is genetics

You got lucky with genetics.  Just think, if you had been born and raised a Forest supporter.  i almost feel sorry for their fans sometimes.

Brian Clough wooed me with his remarkable in your face interviews and the aggressive style of football he had the Derby team playing.  Brian seemed like a rebel to me and that appealed greatly to me.  Had no interest in following the so called big teams.  Derby were at that time overachievers, underdogs and so becoming a Derby fan was a much more exciting proposition for my 9 year old mind.  Also, i liked the name and the logo.  Now it's become part of my DNA, i will be rooting for Derby as long as i live.

7 minutes ago, ramit said:

You got lucky with genetics.  Just think, if you had been born and raised a Forest supporter.  i almost feel sorry for their fans sometimes.

Brian Clough wooed me with his remarkable in your face interviews and the aggressive style of football he had the Derby team playing.  Brian seemed like a rebel to me and that appealed greatly to me.  Had no interest in following the so called big teams.  Derby were at that time overachievers, underdogs and so becoming a Derby fan was a much more exciting proposition for my 9 year old mind.  Also, i liked the name and the logo.  Now it's become part of my DNA, i will be rooting for Derby as long as i live.

Occasionally I come across 70's converts like yourself.  Well done, I don't know you but sort of proud of you even so

Archived