Fair weather fans

Curtains

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird one this, you normally associate fair weather fans with a team which loses most weeks and finds themselves at the bottom of the table. The fact we're in the play offs and have lost 1 in 10 points at much deeper issues than just labelling everyone fair weather fan IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

In this era, there aren't many of those knocking about in the Champ. If you support a side down here it's not because you enjoy winning. 

I dont know, there has to be something that says they do, look at how crowds went up when we became promotion hopefuls.

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I dont know, there has to be something that says they do, look at how crowds went up when we became promotion hopefuls.

Indeed but aren't we still very much in that same promotion hopeful bracket now? If so, why are 4000 fans staying away? We're still winning. 

I wouldn't say it all hinges on winning. I wouldn't call them glory supporters. If they don't enjoy a very expensive hobby why would they keep going? Fair play to those that can afford it and will watch whatever is put out on the pitch but I wouldn't hold anything against anyone not going at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

You mean fans who go to a match to be entertained?

If you aren't a season ticket holder it's a very expensive luxury to pay to travel,buy tickets just to get pissed off and bored with performances.

Noone minds the odd match but if it's every home game over a prolonged period its pretty understandable to be honest.

It is also very expensive for season ticket holders to pay to travel and ticket just to get pissed off and bored with performances. But we are all Derby aren't we?

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

What do you class as being entertained then ? 

What do you?.

Enjoying the cut and thrust of a game,watching a pattern of play,seeing players express their individual skills...all of those things.

Too often this season I've seen none of the above and for at least 45 minutes last night it was as bad if not worse than ever.

I was entertained by the majority of the second half.....so that's what I would like to see in the future,as would the missing fans in sure.

If derby start entertaining then the crowds will come back....it's not just about results clearly.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

What do you?.

Enjoying the cut and thrust of a game,watching a pattern of play,seeing players express their individual skills...all of those things.

Too often this season I've seen none of the above and for at least 45 minutes last night it was as bad if not worse than ever.

I was entertained by the majority of the second half.....so that's what I would like to see in the future,as would the missing fans in sure.

If derby start entertaining then the crowds will come back....it's not just about results clearly.

Missing fans on a rainy night.  

No fair weather fans literally 

1 minute ago, jimbobram said:

It is also very expensive for season ticket holders to pay to travel and ticket just to get pissed off and bored with performances. But we are all Derby aren't we?

This.

I can't see how any thread that aims to draw a division in the fan base as being helpful in any way. Fans will have different levels of commitment and have varying capability / capacity to attend games. I get hugely uncomfortable reading threads on here about 'glory hunters' or 'fair weather fans' as the natural outcome is a divided fan base and an air of elitism that puts people off.

If you want to see how this plays out have a look at Coventry City's skyblues talk - the very definition of a divided fan base as they argue among themselves about whether supporting the team is the same as supporting the owners.

4 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

This.

I can't see how any thread that aims to draw a division in the fan base as being helpful in any way. Fans will have different levels of commitment and have varying capability / capacity to attend games. I get hugely uncomfortable reading threads on here about 'glory hunters' or 'fair weather fans' as the natural outcome is a divided fan base and an air of elitism that puts people off.

If you want to see how this plays out have a look at Coventry City's skyblues talk - the very definition of a divided fan base as they argue among themselves about whether supporting the team is the same as supporting the owners.

I think you will find there is a few on this forum trying to devide  the fan base. 

Moan moan moan moan 

Archived