Radio Derby Sportscene

Rev

What a pleasure to tune in from Italy and to hear an absolute broadcasting legend. In the world of football commentary I always regarded GR as a best kept secret, his use of language and exuberance are unsurpassable and how his talents weren't enjoyed by a much wider audience I'll never know. My wifi is as reliable as a Claude Davis clearance so was really chuffed to hear Graham Richards last night on the moan in. 

For me, my love affair with The Rams started in the promotion season of 95/96 and Graham Richards' commentary was right at the heart of that. If I ever need cheering up I normally click on any of his YouTube clips. Too many to pick a favourite from, but I'd probably pip for the Wanchope goal. 

Very interesting to hear how highly he rated Carbonari. A player that you don't hear too many fans wax lyrical about. Very unorthodox and could look like a cumbersome cuddly toy on the ball at times, I remember getting his autograph after he 'weltered' it in against Forest when I was 15 years old. Odd but I always remember Carbonari's aftershave. Davidoff Cool Water. I wear it to this day and think fondly of that afternoon. Don't normally hang about sniffing the air around players after home games, but I think I can be forgiven for wanting to smell like The East Midlands Derby match winner : ) 

Was also expecting GR to claim Jonathon Hunt as his least favourite player, fondly remember a number of lynchings on air. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up listening to Richards, Hall and Gibson and remember moaning about their general negativity just as much as I moan about Dawes and Ramage.  I was too young during the glory years of the club, so Richards might have been the fantastic commentator people wax lyrical about then, but while he had his moments during my youth I increasingly found him irritating as I got older.  It might be of course that there is a correlation between my tolerance of commentators and the general success or otherwise of DCFC on the pitch... maybe I just don't like the truth :whistle:

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Pah, just wait, in 30 years time when everyone is looking back and thinking 'that craig ramage, he was a legend on the commentary'

:ph34r:

I remember Colin Bloomfield getting slated on the old 606 forums at the time, but he worked hard at it and was quite good by the end.

I actually don't think they're too bad(the current pair). Perhaps not legends, but do the job OK.

1 hour ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

remember getting his autograph after he 'weltered' it in against Forest when I was 15 years old. Odd but I always remember Carbonari's aftershave. Davidoff Cool Water. I wear it to this day and think fondly of that afternoon.

Best comment ever. Thanks for making me laugh on an otherwise grey Tuesday morning.

In the mid 90's when I first started following football, GR and Radio Derby were my source of information for all things Derby. These days you are almost overwhelmed with reports and match details. GR made me want to listen as he created such wonderful descriptions, overly negative or not, I always enjoyed it. What recent commentators lack is that artistry, the negativity may still be there today with Dawes and Ramage but it isn't wrapped up in clever phrasing and wonderful descriptions.

For a local station we were probably spoilt having someone of GRs quality, what we have had since is more of what you would expect. I do quite enjoy Ramage though...

3 hours ago, Doodle said:

Yes but he did say some controversial things too 

He certainly did. I remember listening to one match where Richards and to a lesser extent Hall referred to referee Steven Lodge as "The Mincer" rather than by his name throughout the entire match. Completely unacceptable even then...

11 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Best comment ever. Thanks for making me laugh on an otherwise grey Tuesday morning.

11 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

My pleasure, have had a few comical run ins with players over the years. Another was bumping into Wanchope outside Pride Park. I'm 6 ft 4 and back then I was extremely self conscious about how tall I was, to the point of being in total denial about my height and thought for all the world that Paulo would be this colossus on bendy rubber legs and that in person he would be as tall as he seemed on MoTD. Was so humbling to tower over my favourite player. Really quite freaky. 

11 hours ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

My pleasure, have had a few comical run ins with players over the years. Another was bumping into Wanchope outside Pride Park. I'm 6 ft 4 and back then I was extremely self conscious about how tall I was, to the point of being in total denial about my height and thought for all the world that Paulo would be this colossus on bendy rubber legs and that in person he would be as tall as he seemed on MoTD. Was so humbling to tower over my favourite player. Really quite freaky. 

I have a Paulo Wanchope story too. I was in Costa Rica (at the time when 'Chope was a Ram) and happened to tell a taxi driver that I was a Rams fan. He said he knew the Wanchopes and would take me to meet them. Paulo Wanchope's mum invited me in for tea and put on her Derby shirt with 'CHOPE' on the back and I gave her my Rams baseball cap!

8 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

I have a Paulo Wanchope story too. I was in Costa Rica (at the time when 'Chope was a Ram) and happened to tell a taxi driver that I was a Rams fan. He said he knew the Wanchopes and would take me to meet them. Paulo Wanchope's mum invited me in for tea and put on her Derby shirt with 'CHOPE' on the back and I gave her my Rams baseball cap!

That's bloody amazing. We should start a thread entitled chatting with Rams' mums : ) 

In my twenties I was working in a callcentre and doing a spot of cold calling and who should I end up speaking to for three quarters of an hour? Rory Delap's mum! Nearly lost my job : ) 

'Why didn't your lad take those massive long throw ins for us Mrs Delap?'

'Well you see...back then Chris Powell took the throw ins'...and it went on like that. Glorious woman, would have happily got the boot there and then. 

21 hours ago, philmycock said:

Ian Hall was the dullest, most monotone co-commentator ever, as was McMinn.

Didn’t Eric Steele do it for a bit, I seem to recall being impressed with him. GR was pretty good too. 

I think Ian Hall invented the saying " a game of two halves " We used to have bets on how many times he would say it 

Archived