England Squad for Germany and Brazil

Van der MoodHoover

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Well I hope so. I'll give him my full backing if he does.

Liked the look of maguire,  Loftus cheek, gomez etc.

Livermore not so much. Still plays too safe and backward for me. Our midfield still doesn't keep possession well enough.

I’d like to see these youngsters given a place in the squad before they become institutionalised into safe, negative footballers frightened to make a mistake.

We will not win anything with Dier and Livermore in the same midfield as neither has an ounce of flair. I also feel Bertrand is weak.

We have to pick the best passers of a football or we will play a lot of games like last night chasing and harrying.

However, I congratulate the players and Southgate for getting a draw against a talented team. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The opening game of the tournament will see all the old guard back in there don’t worry.

amazing to think that the guy from the victims that played (another one I still don’t know who he is) hasn’t played 10 times for them but managed to get an England call up.....when Fowler was playing he had over 100 games for the victims before his first cap..!

36 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The opening game of the tournament will see all the old guard back in there don’t worry.

amazing to think that the guy from the victims that played (another one I still don’t know who he is) hasn’t played 10 times for them but managed to get an England call up.....when Fowler was playing he had over 100 games for the victims before his first cap..!

He was man of the match to be fair

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Solanke? Just won a World Cup with the under 20’s, scoring 4 and winning player of the tournament in the process. Has scored goals for England at most youth levels. 

If that doesn’t justify your inclusion into a senior squad I don’t know what would. 

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

By the old guard you mean Harry Kane, Raheem Sterling and Deli Ali, three of the most exiting young players available for England selection?

I have been wondering the same. Phil Jones? Played in the Germany game. Hart? Played last night. Walker? Played last night. Rose? Played last night. 

Smalling? Discarded for clearly stated reasons. Chamberlain? The same . 

Henserson perhaps. Other than that I have no idea who this ‘old guard’ is. 

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’d like to see these youngsters given a place in the squad before they become institutionalised into safe, negative footballers frightened to make a mistake.

We will not win anything with Dier and Livermore in the same midfield as neither has an ounce of flair. I also feel Bertrand is weak.

We have to pick the best passers of a football or we will play a lot of games like last night chasing and harrying.

However, I congratulate the players and Southgate for getting a draw against a talented team. 

I am a fan of Dier, but he had a poor game last night - looked slow and a bit indecisive. I agree that with both him and Livermore in the team, the midfield is too slow and deep. Further, Livermore didn't even seem to add much tackling bite as there were a couple of real powder-puff challenges.

I thought when we were playing 4 at the back that Dier made sense as a DCM as he is effectively a converted centre back I think but I am less sure of the logic if Southgate is building from 3 CHs...effectively we had 5 deep lying defensive players last night and only loftus cheek/lingard getting anywhere forward from midfield.

Maybe just maybe if Will continues to get game time and impresses for Watford, we might see him yet in an England shirt - certainly someone like that to knit together the defence with the attack.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I have been wondering the same. Phil Jones? Played in the Germany game. Hart? Played last night. Walker? Played last night. Rose? Played last night. 

Smalling? Discarded for clearly stated reasons. Chamberlain? The same . 

Henserson perhaps. Other than that I have no idea who this ‘old guard’ is. 

Lallana, Sturridge, Drinkwater (although he barely got started), Cahill, Delph, Welbeck (never fit anyway) - and has Milner called it a day yet?

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Lallana, Sturridge, Drinkwater (although he barely got started), Cahill, Delph, Welbeck (never fit anyway) - and has Milner called it a day yet?

Lallana is one of the best English players we have, what is our fascination with the old guard ? We were outplayed by both Germany and Brazil, however with a mixture of some of our young brighter players along with the likes of Lallana we might actually surprise at the next WC.

Anyway let’s face it, whatever happens playing for your country is a poison chalice, fans say they are not good enough and then slag them off when they fail and call for youth, 10 games later they then become the old guard and repeat...no wonder players never live up to their potential playing for their club.

58 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Lallana, Delph and Cahill are almost certain to return.

That wasn't the question - it was who might be regarded as "the old guard" - either by virtue of age or length of time around the squad.

Lallana has done OK,  but I haven't seen anything special in Delph and I would think cahill is slipping down the pecking order of cbs plus has been an ever present in some notable debacles like wc 2014. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

That wasn't the question - it was who might be regarded as "the old guard" - either by virtue of age or length of time around the squad.

Lallana has done OK,  but I haven't seen anything special in Delph and I would think cahill is slipping down the pecking order of cbs plus has been an ever present in some notable debacles like wc 2014. 

Not sure how Delph can be old guard. 

Southgate should have an easy decision on who to drop from the WC squad after this weekend, anyone who pulled out through injury who plays for their team for more than say 70 minutes he should drop.

13 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Southgate should have an easy decision on who to drop from the WC squad after this weekend, anyone who pulled out through injury who plays for their team for more than say 70 minutes he should drop.

Exactly right, (even if it weakens is as a squad) he should exercise some aggression on these players who shirked the opportunity to represent their Country. 

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Exactly right, (even if it weakens is as a squad) he should exercise some aggression on these players who shirked the opportunity to represent their Country. 

Of course he wont do because the likes of Kane are seen as so important, but it kind of demonstrates that player power exists.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

A bit harsh on some players, there will be players that were genuinely injured but fit for this weekend.

I don’t get this argument Ted. 

Why would you risk unfit players in friendly matches? Makes no sense at all. 

If a Derby player had been out injured and was still a precaution I wouldnt want them playing pointless internationals. 

Sensible move all round IMO. The fewer matches our big players play the better, they might not be burned out come the World Cup next summer. 

Archived