England Squad for Germany and Brazil

Van der MoodHoover

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BarrowRam said:

I was a massive England fan. Use to watch every game. Now I hate the international break. Especially when it’s a friendly.

I agree, friendlies mean nothing and often top players drop out. The qualifiers are mostly boring, or have been lately as it's been too easy.

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Ex-Southampton guy that's been injured quite a lot? 

Is he even a regular for Burnley? 

Yes, he's been the heartbeat of their midfield this season. A decent player, actually and, given the incredible lack of talent in our central midfield - particularly defensive midfield - I'd suggest his call up is long overdue. It really says something about our standard when our central midfield options (behind Dier) are Henderson and Livermore.

1 hour ago, KentRam said:

Yes, he's been the heartbeat of their midfield this season. A decent player, actually and, given the incredible lack of talent in our central midfield - particularly defensive midfield - I'd suggest his call up is long overdue. It really says something about our standard when our central midfield options (behind Dier) are Henderson and Livermore.

Always thought Cork was a decent player. Just wiki'd him out of interest and was surprised to find he's now 28. Thought he was about 24. His pathway from England youth through to senior team seems to have stalled after the 2011 U21 championship (with the exception of being part of the 2012 Olympic Squad).

So you're right about the call up being long overdue and I wonder if there is still a 6 year "pathway" from U21s upwards. I know he has had some injury issues in that time but also some pretty solid seasons - albeit for so-called "less fashionable" clubs.

6 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Always thought Cork was a decent player. Just wiki'd him out of interest and was surprised to find he's now 28. Thought he was about 24. His pathway from England youth through to senior team seems to have stalled after the 2011 U21 championship (with the exception of being part of the 2012 Olympic Squad).

So you're right about the call up being long overdue and I wonder if there is still a 6 year "pathway" from U21s upwards. I know he has had some injury issues in that time but also some pretty solid seasons - albeit for so-called "less fashionable" clubs.

Of course he hasn't been able to make a way to step to seniors, pathway has been blocked by mighty Jake Livermore :ph34r:

It’s not a bad idea from Southgate going with a a back three.

Walker, Cahill, Rose, Dier, Winks, Alli and Kane can all play in the roles they do/did at club level.  Add a ‘keeper and that’s eight players who shouldn’t need much acclimatisation to their international role.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Has he played for Chelsea in the prem yet? Regular first team football seems to be Southgate''s yardstick for reckoning a player is any good.

2 subs appearances if my memories serves me well. Apparently, that is enough to satisfy Southgate. A below average Premier League player who can't get a game at his club (yes, he's been injured but will he really get in ahead of Kante, Bakayoko or Fabregas) who appears to be being begged to come into the squad and will, in all likelihood, be a regular in Southgate's future squads once fully fit given the lack of options is a sad reflection on where we are at the moment. Drinkwater's inclusion would be unfathomable but, yet, I'm not surprised.

When you look at our likely central midfielders (Dier, Henderson, Livermore, Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cork, Winks) other nations must simply be in stitches. I hope Barkley can come back into club reckoning and I'm hopeful Wilshere leaves Arsenal and starts to play regular football and stays fit - those are two players, along with Winks, who maybe can give us something with Dier holding. But the aforementioned players wouldn't get near Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina or any other half decent nation's third string.

Just now, KentRam said:

2 subs appearances if my memories serves me well. Apparently, that is enough to satisfy Southgate. A below average Premier League player who can't get a game at his club (yes, he's been injured but will he really get in ahead of Kante, Bakayoko or Fabregas) who appears to be being begged to come into the squad and will, in all likelihood, be a regular in Southgate's future squads once fully fit given the lack of options is a sad reflection on where we are at the moment. Drinkwater's inclusion would be unfathomable but, yet, I'm not surprised.

When you look at our likely central midfielders (Dier, Henderson, Livermore, Drinkwater, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cork, Winks) other nations must simply be in stitches. I hope Barkley can come back into club reckoning and I'm hopeful Wilshere leaves Arsenal and starts to play regular football and stays fit - those are two players, along with Winks, who maybe can give us something with Dier holding. But the aforementioned players wouldn't get near Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina or any other half decent nation's third string.

God how depressing - tho I still have hopes for dier. 

Bring back Kevin "knocker" Nolan. .....

Archived