England Squad for Germany and Brazil

Van der MoodHoover

Dropping like flies atm. No kane, alli,  winks. 

Early excitement at some youngsters like loftus-cheek being brought in but now we turn to Livermore. 

Is Southgate doing enough to unearth new potential gems? Will he, like woy, capello and some others produce some exciting friendlies before bringing back the tried and failed for the tournament squad?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly none of it will make a difference while Southgate is manager. His reign will be a colossal waste of everyone's time.

He has got a crop of players that is actually quite good, the likes of Ali, Sterling, Kane and Rashford have the potential to be a really dynamic and exciting group so what do the FA do? Employ a bloke with zero charisma and zero tactical acumen. Imagine working for the likes of Pochettino and Guardiola every day of the week then for two weeks every so often you have to go and work for someone like Southgate, the difference must be jarring. It's no wonder they don't always look entirely enthusiastic when on England duty.

I don't doubt the fact he will work as hard as he can and try and do his best, but he is entirely the wrong coach for the type of players England currently possess. We will go nowhere under Southgate.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Look down the youth system, bring some in and then actually play them perhaps. Then if they have half-decent games, don't just drop them back down when the likes of Henderson, Delph et al have recovered from injuries.

Oh, and inspire them if at all possible. Although many on here believe there's no chance of that....

37 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Look down the youth system, bring some in and then actually play them perhaps. Then if they have half-decent games, don't just drop them back down when the likes of Henderson, Delph et al have recovered from injuries.

Gomez, McGuire, Loftus-Cheek, Winks, Abraham, Pickford were all picked for this squad. 6 out of 21 is a significant number.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Dropping like flies atm. No kane, alli,  winks. 

Early excitement at some youngsters like loftus-cheek being brought in but now we turn to Livermore. 

Is Southgate doing enough to unearth new potential gems? Will he, like woy, capello and some others produce some exciting friendlies before bringing back the tried and failed for the tournament squad?

Whats the betting these players are suddenly fit the following weekend.

25 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

As I said......they then have to be played. And then retained when the "seniors" become available again if they do well.

Those that were in the squad last time have been retained. The new additions are just that. Southgate is many things but unwilling to give young players a go is not one of them.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Those that were in the squad last time have been retained. The new additions are just that. Southgate is many things but unwilling to give young players a go is not one of them.

Others before him have done so and then gone v cautious when it comes to the actual tournament 23.

Until he's selected a tournament squad can't actually tell. But picking some exciting young talent now will at least give him a bit more of a chance. 

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

To be fair, Delph has been very good for City this season, shown he's hungry for first team football by agreeing to play LB and done the job quite well. Deservedly in the squad. I hated that under Hodgson crap youth players got a game just for playing a couple of games.

I'm hoping that now Southgate has qualification out of the way, we'll start to see a new direction in the national team.

One based on picking the most able, regardless of which club they play for or their age.

He has lots of knowledge of the younger players, and in a world cup year those who've played under him at 21's level should be busting a gut to get to Russia.

Let's face it, he can't do any worse than we've seen since Capello.

Just now, reveldevil said:

I'm hoping that now Southgate has qualification out of the way, we'll start to see a new direction in the national team.

One based on picking the most able, regardless of which club they play for or their age.

He has lots of knowledge of the younger players, and in a world cup year those who've played under him at 21's level should be busting a gut to get to Russia.

Let's face it, he can't do any worse than we've seen since Capello.

Which is basically saying that Woy was dweadful :lol:

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Which is basically saying that Woy was dweadful :lol:

I'd just like to watch England in the faint hope we might entertain, it's not too much to ask given the talent available, surely.

I'm not expecting us to conquer the world, or even Europe, but a return to feeling excited about international football would be a start.

Nowadays, if I watch, it's with a knowledge that we'll probably be dull but efficient, unless we're playing a top 50 side, in which case we'll just be dull.

Used to book time off work around England games, now I'd rather be otherwise engaged.

Just now, reveldevil said:

I'd just like to watch England in the faint hope we might entertain, it's not too much to ask given the talent available, surely.

I'm not expecting us to conquer the world, or even Europe, but a return to feeling excited about international football would be a start.

Nowadays, if I watch, it's with a knowledge that we'll probably be dull but efficient, unless we're playing a top 50 side, in which case we'll just be dull.

Used to book time off work around England games, now I'd rather be otherwise engaged.

I did used to go to the home games in the keegan/sven eras.

We have been pretty dire since the 2004 euros - which was the last tournament I wasn't actually embarrassed by our performance. 

Archived