What would you have done differently?

sage

As we are all football experts I thought we could all share what we would have done differently yesterday.

No hindsight allowed. :ph34r:

Personally I would have played Thorne with Huddlestone and kept Johnson LM. I would also have picked Martin instead of Winnall.

I would have brought Baird on instead of Pearce for Keogh as they didn't have a big CF and we need someone at the back who can pass. (this would have less necessary had Thorne started).

I would have taken Winnall off for Martin on 30 minutes after he idd his silly foul after being already booked.

While he is at the club I would always have Anya on the bench as he can play full back if you are chasing the game and is better when the game is stretched.

I would have kicked Gunter in the balls,  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had one player out injured instead of straight like for like swap with Thorne he moved 3 players and we looked like strangers. 

It was probably right to start Winnall after scoring 3 goals in 2 games but Nuge shouldn’t have played in the number 10, Martin should have started to keep the continuity.

Having said that the first half It might not have made any difference, we were completely out played, we were literally chasing shadows, can’t remember the last time I saw a team come to PP and completely out play us like that.

1 hour ago, sage said:

As we are all football experts I thought we could all share what we would have done differently yesterday.

No hindsight allowed. :ph34r:

Personally I would have played Thorne with Huddlestone and kept Johnson LM. I would also have picked Martin instead of Winnall.

We scored against Leeds after Johnson came off the wing and sat back with Hudds. Weimann went out wide and suddenly we had round pegs in round holes, Hudds was freed up to make the pass to fozzy, suddenly we had width and pace and we scored. Jonno out wide often went missing at Leeds as he wandered too far into his familiar territory, which gimped us down the left a bit. He seemed to be everywhere at times, when he should have been an outlet for Fozzy. 

I'm not sure what I'd have done differently to Gary. Based on the shape that beat Leeds, and the formation we played before we scored, I think all the right changes were made. Two wingers, Jonno where he belongs in midfield. Not sure if I'd have started Nuge, I have a bet on this season that he'll score more than Rooney so maybe.

Still got faith in Gary. He seems to see what I see so I'll let him off.

Personally I'd have stuck with Martin and winnall plus Bradley further forward as at Leeds. So no place for Johnny in the starting xi. 

Assuming that I knew a few days ago ledley was v likely to be missing I'd have readied George for a start and have a contingency if he only lasted for the first half. Maybe baird on the bench as an emergency dm or Johnny to bring on and move Bradley back if really no alternative. 

Other than that I'd have done as Gary rowett did. You can't cover every possibility of in-game injury. And nobody couldhave predicted fozzy would have a stinker or that Curtis would leave his brain in the dressing room. 

For me I would have put Thorne in for injured ledley kept Jono in as Leeds , had Russell on the bench and front two of Nugent and vydra ,with nugent vydra johno lawrence. Instructed to be all over them like a rash closing down fast

I would have asked Reading to sack Jaap Stam.

He did his homework on Derby and noted our lack of mobility and how uncomfortable most of our defenders are on the ball (Keogh excepted) and decided to use what in basketball terms is called a full-court press, swarming us high up the pitch and forcing us to go long. Most teams have been content to let our centre-halves have the ball, but Reading did not and we panicked and hit it long and aimless. Rowett does not want long balls up to the striker as we do not have the type of player up front who will win it in the air. Hence why Carson's distribution looks so poor as he is told to kick it out wide to an advanced full back rather than toward our striker.

Their passing around at the back also forced us to come out of our compact shape to close them down. This further exposed our lack of mobility outside of the forwards.

Stam realised this and I applaud this tactical masterclass. If other managers are smart and watch this game back and attempt to copy these tactics then we may be in some trouble.

Martin with Vydra but apparently Vydra wasn’t fit? But on the bench

with ledley unfit I would have put in another midfielder- probably Thorne because when we have looked crap it’s because we are wide open in midfield ( oh and if we still had Butterfield we still would have been wide open) 

Archived