Joe Ledley's impact

Thierry Ennui

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rynny said:

Why the need to single anyone out at all? Why does it have to be x player is doing well and y player is s***?

It could be argued that in the 2 seasons that Butterfield has been here he has contributed the same amount of goals Bryson and Hughes combined, and only 1 less assist. Had a better pass % than Both players, made the same percentage of forward passes as Hughes and more than Bryson.

Wouldn't Butterfield have contributed less overall as he has been here less? But because he cost more means he got less support from the fans. His treatment was and is still atrocious, and has been from his very first game. Even when he was playing well and scoring goals people were still taking a pop at him. And I find it sad that they still continue to do so. Same goes with the majority of players bought in the last 2 and a half years. Look at the list of players that have been called Blackman, Johnson, Vydra, Butterfield, Baird, Huddlestone, Ince etc etc.

I think the highlighted part of your post shows that he isn't being singled out at all. Fans do moan about players, that's part of it. Rather on here than on a Saturday afternoon.   

6 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Because he is the least effective for us out of the 3 ?

Yes I would go along with that. We got it very wrong with Butterfield. If we had paid £750,000, folks may have a different perspective. Unfortunately, Mel was flashing the cash and Huddersfield took full advantage. That's the business of pro football.

There is a likelihood that Jacob will be returning if he doesn't set the world alight at Sheff Wed. I hope DCFC have been shrewd and agreed a fee for Winnall in the event that the player fancies a permanent move.

5 hours ago, rynny said:

Why the need to single anyone out at all? Why does it have to be x player is doing well and y player is s***?

It could be argued that in the 2 seasons that Butterfield has been here he has contributed the same amount of goals Bryson and Hughes combined, and only 1 less assist. Had a better pass % than Both players, made the same percentage of forward passes as Hughes and more than Bryson.

Wouldn't Butterfield have contributed less overall as he has been here less? But because he cost more means he got less support from the fans. His treatment was and is still atrocious, and has been from his very first game. Even when he was playing well and scoring goals people were still taking a pop at him. And I find it sad that they still continue to do so. Same goes with the majority of players bought in the last 2 and a half years. Look at the list of players that have been called Blackman, Johnson, Vydra, Butterfield, Baird, Huddlestone, Ince etc etc.

Excellent post couldn't agreed more Derby fans always have to have a player to pick on and blame it was Keogh then Christie then Butters need to grow up and realise its a squad not just eleven starters 

1 hour ago, Mistaram said:

Excellent post couldn't agreed more Derby fans always have to have a player to pick on and blame it was Keogh then Christie then Butters need to grow up and realise its a squad not just eleven starters 

Yeah, but even if fans pick on a player it doesn't mean they're not poor! Butterfield, however much he cost, hasn't really done it for Derby so what's wrong with saying so.

I think his impact is overstated. I think once Thorne's back in the team, he can effectively do the job of Ledley and Huddlestone. Thorne's got the positional nous and discipline of Ledley as well as Huddlestone's playmaking ability.

I think Ledley's obviously a decent player. There's a reason he's done well in the PL but I just think he limits us, we'll never be truly balanced with him next to Huddlestone. With Ledley in the side you know we'll be good defensively but you also know we won't be anything special offensively.

I'd rather bring in a more balanced DM who allows us to be good defensively but gives us a chance to be a better attacking team.

Also, people are forgetting he's another player over 30 on big wages. Have we learnt absolutely nothing from the past 2/3 years? We've just had to sell off our two best players this summer to sort us out financially and we're now talking about signing Ledley permanently a few months later? 

Much rather bring in someone younger who has the potential to be a PL starter for us in the future. If we're playing 4-2-3-1 I want us to get Thorne someone who compliments him and can improve with him.

On 11/1/2017 at 19:52, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, but even if fans pick on a player it doesn't mean they're not poor! Butterfield, however much he cost, hasn't really done it for Derby so what's wrong with saying so.

You're absolutely right in your assertion that players can and should be criticised if they underperform. That said, it irks me when folk simply slate them. Players drift in and out of form and there's a big difference between saying, 'X was poor today and this is why' and 'that X is utter s****, he's a disgrace to the shirt' and so on. The only time I generally totally lose it with a player is when I think he's disrespectful of the fans and / or the club - that is, barely lifting a leg and clearly not caring either. But you're right about the opinions thing - this is a forum after all :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

"Age should not weary them, nor years comdemn."

"At the going down of the sun and in the morning"

"We will remember them

If your good enough you're old enough. 

That should be your last post.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived