Joe Ledley's impact

Thierry Ennui

Joe Ledley arrived after Derby conceded four goals to Bristol City in September. Since then Derby have played seven matches and conceded a total of four goals throughout, winning four and drawing three. Ledley played in all but one of these, the Birmingham draw.

I honestly forget he's playing half the time. But his impact on this team absolutely can't be denied. We defend far, far better with him playing. Davies hasn't put a foot wrong since Ledley started playing, Keogh has been much more adventurous with his ball carrying and passing and is in the form of his life, Forsyth has regained his pre-injury imperiousness (what a beast) and Huddlestone has enjoyed less defensive responsibility.

There's definite shades of Eustace during McClaren's first stint. Ledley is similarly unadventurous but does everything he does for the team, not a shred of ego on show. His selfless play allows the rest of the team to thrive. It's obvious why Wales were desperate for him to play at the World Cup despite his understandably questionable fitness.

Get him signed immediately.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

Well it's safe to say that he has had more of an impact than butterfield ever would have had this season!

Assuming you're a Rams fan, why do you feel it's necessary to ridicule one player whilst praising another - do you think it's clever? The swap of Winnall for Butterfield is so far proving more advantageous to us than the Wendies, why not just leave it at that?

3 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Assuming you're a Rams fan, why do you feel it's necessary to ridicule one player whilst praising another - do you think it's clever? The swap of Winnall for Butterfield is so far proving more advantageous to us than the Wendies, why not just leave it at that?

Where's the ridicule ? That's a fair comment to make I think a lot on here might agree with him.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

That wasn't the point i was trying to make, more to the idea that Butterfield was never going to be able to steady the ship the way that Ledley has. He clearly was not going to fit the system and his temporary departure as you say has proved more advantageous to us, not just because of Winnall but because of Ledley too.

6 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Where's the ridicule ? That's a fair comment to make I think a lot on here might agree with him.

Agree. There's no ridicule there. Just a statement and probably a fact

10 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

That wasn't the point i was trying to make, more to the idea that Butterfield was never going to be able to steady the ship the way that Ledley has. He clearly was not going to fit the system and his temporary departure as you say has proved more advantageous to us, not just because of Winnall but because of Ledley too.

You could say as well, even though we all love him dearly Bryson wouldn’t have had the same impact on this team that Ledley has. GR made some big decisions in the transfer market and some are now coming to fruition.

Is probably fair to say Bryson (still miss you Brys) wouldn't have had the impact Ledley has had, but Bryson has had an impact at Cardiff. Hughes couldn't have had that impact, might have made a different one, but not the one Ledley is having.

Ledley has been the player we needed. I wasn't fussed at first, but its clear he's bringing out a lot in others.

16 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

We had 3 first team central midfielders leave in the summer transfer window but you single out Butterfield, that is why it is construed as ridicule.

Ledley was the player we needed. I'd be very disappointed if we didn't extend his deal and went for the brummy lad again. Not only are his performances consistent ( Which is what have needed for a very long time in our team), but he seems to be a key personality in the changing room as well.

And he has a quality beard.

The number of goals conceded before him joining and after are a poor metric to use. Sheff Wed dominated us with 10 men, Norwich could have had 5 goals. Ledley and Huddlestone are a ticking time bomb. He doesn't have the legs, his passing lacks range. People used to mock Butterfield for side ways passing, this guys side ways passing is shocking by comparison. It's already taking it's toll on Huddlestone. We will be much better off once Thorne is starting again. 

He's been great for us so far. Keeps the game flowing, breaks it up where he can, he's good in the air and doesn't misplace many passes. With him being so solid, it allows our creative players to attack with more confidence that if they lose the ball they will be covered. I agree with the comparisons of Eustace. 

51 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Because he is the least effective for us out of the 3 ?

Why the need to single anyone out at all? Why does it have to be x player is doing well and y player is s***?

It could be argued that in the 2 seasons that Butterfield has been here he has contributed the same amount of goals Bryson and Hughes combined, and only 1 less assist. Had a better pass % than Both players, made the same percentage of forward passes as Hughes and more than Bryson.

Wouldn't Butterfield have contributed less overall as he has been here less? But because he cost more means he got less support from the fans. His treatment was and is still atrocious, and has been from his very first game. Even when he was playing well and scoring goals people were still taking a pop at him. And I find it sad that they still continue to do so. Same goes with the majority of players bought in the last 2 and a half years. Look at the list of players that have been called Blackman, Johnson, Vydra, Butterfield, Baird, Huddlestone, Ince etc etc.

Archived