Rowett signings hit or miss

PistoldPete2

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The problem Lawrence has got is that he was always going to be compared to Ince who had a really impressive scoring record. I think Lawrence has played well in patches and seems to be getting better as he settles in. He is one of the few players that tries something different and he will be rewarded over the course of the season.

He's also got a different role in the team, and doesn't get given the ball in the same areas/situations anywhere near as often. 

Aside from his poor free kick and follow up yesterday his set pieces are an improvement on what we had before.

What has frustrated me about Lawrence is his occasional lackadaisical approach to the physical aspects of the game, he's too casual at times and doesn't seem to want to fight for the ball.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If you think Lawrence/Wisdom have been misses then you haven't been watching them very closely. Top players at this level. 

The Wednesday game was Wisdom's only poor game since he's been back, which is a pretty good return so far. And Lawrence is so pain-stakingly close to a goal it's unbearable. What he goes to affect the game over the 90 minutes though is superb. A genuine threat - the goals will start flowing soon enough!

My only qualm with wisdom is that I think at times he looks like a centre back stuck at right back rather than a genuine right back. The play breaks down a bit too much with him for my liking. 

Lawrence shows potential however not as  good as Ince.

i always likes Christie but wisdom is as good, will be interesting to see how their careers compare in 3 years.

Huddlestone has been a poor signing for me, not based upon his own qualities but the managers inability to bring players in to complement his game, even with Ledley in there the two are easily bypassed with quick movement, having said it depends what type of team we play, and as long as rowett is proactive when he is struggling he could prove to be an asset in the long term.

It's early to say either way. I'd say Wisdom is a hit but it's only October and still early season. Likewise with Winnall who can't really carve out an opportunity.

I don't rate Lawrence.

I think Keogh is better than Davies but Davies is an improvement on the wooden legged pair.

Wisdom I like. Ledley I like. 

Also to mention Vydra who Rowett has done a good job with. Not a new signing but he's a new player. 

Huddlestone I'm not a fan of. A statue with usually excellent long range passing. 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

My only qualm with wisdom is that I think at times he looks like a centre back stuck at right back rather than a genuine right back. The play breaks down a bit too much with him for my liking. 

Agree with this, he does occasionally look a little more like a centre half. But he's gotten down the line quite a few times so far this season already, much more than I expected!

Davies: HIT

Been solid defensively while offering more mobility and composure on the ball to our defence. Big improvement on Pearce, shame he's only getting older.

Huddlestone: HIT

I think you're starting to see him settle into the side now. If you watch the game back on Saturday, he's starting to pick teams apart as well as improve defensively, looks the real deal. Needs a better partner to do the dirty work for him.

Lawrence: MEH

Definitely an improvement on Weimann but not an improvement on Ince. They're both at very different stages in their careers though, Lawrence will improve and flourish with us, Ince was the finished product from day one. Given us better dead ball and delivery than we've had from a winger for a bit.

Wisdom: HIT

And an obvious hit at that. I think he'll look even better when Max Lowe gets back into the side and we have someone flying down the left while Wisdom keeps us solid at the back.

Winnall: MISS

I think Butterfield would be contributing more to the side than Winnall currently is. We've looked short on CM's and we've had to resort to Johnson at 10 a few times now just to help out the midfield. Butterfield's proven in the championship at 10, think he would have given us more options than Winnall has. I'd rather have seen Mason Bennett given the role in the squad that Winnall's had.

Ledley: MEH

He's doing a job for us but having him next to Huddlestone limits us. A good signing in the context of grinding out points until we get to January but the complete opposite of a long term solution. We need a younger more energetic DM in January.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Yeah that Huddlestone has lost his radar, totally off the boil, can’t pass for toffee. He was crap at the weekend.

The fact that Richard Keogh was second probably tells a story that most of the passes were between the two.

Almost every time Huddlestone tried to make a decisive pass forward he gave the ball away, remember one decent pass to JR

None are misses so far. We're evolving. All are likely to play a part. Davies is improving. Wisdom is quality. Huddlestone will prove his quality over the season. Ledley has proved already he knows his way around the pitch. Lawrence will hit form at some point, he's showed promise. Winnall will play his part too.

Are they setting the league alight? No. They're all decent players making an impact so far though. More to come.

4 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Really? What is it about him that you don't rate? Surprised to see you say this.

Just don't think he does anything beyond looking like he's about to do something, if you know what I mean?

I remember him from Blackburn and Ipswich. Commentators would rave about him and I just thought "he's done 3 stepovers, 2 backflips and a forward roll before doing the very thing he should have done 3 seconds ago." 

Years ago I had a bit of a grump about Russell. People would go crazy for him as he sprinted down the line leaving his man chasing. Then he'd run it out of play or cross it behind the goal or it'd be a routine near post clearance. People would say he's looking dangerous but it was the same lack of end product over and over while Dawkins was actually creating overlaps and openings for others without actually running past someone.

I just find Lawrence so predictable. He cuts inside to trouble a lot and his release of the ball comes when it suits him rather than the receiver.

For Sky it looks great when a trick gives him half a yard. For the first few times you think "awww he was nearly in there". But from what I've seen at Blackburn, Ipswich and Derby is that this is it. He's constantly "almost" because he doesn't look beyond the end of his nose. 

I prefer Russell. I think his drive from deep are more important to us now with the way we play than Lawrence trickery in the final third. 

I just don't get excited because I assume he's about to take an extra touch, an extra trick. I don't think he's a patch on Ince defensively. Ince was a lot better than most wanted to believe but also not a patch on Russell. 

But honestly, I haven't written him off. I just don't get excited. In the same way I don't find Zaha exciting because he misses split second opportunities. But players like this can suddenly click. With good guidance they do sometimes start being more selfless.

I wasn't an Ibe fan either for a while. It was just as he left that I started to come around. When he stopped running into traffic and toned down the dribbling. Started figuring out when and where to use it. 

To me Russell has improved massively in knowing when to have a run and when to go simple. He is however perhaps not as technically gifted.

Basically I like Tom Ince. Just the right amount of greedy.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The fact that Richard Keogh was second probably tells a story that most of the passes were between the two.

Almost every time Huddlestone tried to make a decisive pass forward he gave the ball away, remember one decent pass to JR

Might be wrong, but wasn’t it Thud who released Keogh on goal?

Early days, may have a valued opinion come the end of the season ,being negative about any relatively new signing can only be counter productive. Pogba hardly set united alight last season at a cost of £100 mill but it doesnt make him a bad player. Give the lads a chance to settle,form a cohesive unit getting used to playing as a team before passing judgement.

Archived