Rowett signings hit or miss

PistoldPete2

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Coconut said:

He's also got a different role in the team, and doesn't get given the ball in the same areas/situations anywhere near as often. 

Aside from his poor free kick and follow up yesterday his set pieces are an improvement on what we had before.

What has frustrated me about Lawrence is his occasional lackadaisical approach to the physical aspects of the game, he's too casual at times and doesn't seem to want to fight for the ball.

Yes Lawrence has seemed powder puff in challenges and needs to improve his shooting. Some good corners tho.

So far I think his signings have been ok.

None apart from Winnall have spent more time on the bench than the pitch, they don't seem injury prone, and they've all contributed in some way since they've been here.

Whether they're better than what we shipped out to bring them in, only time will tell.

I think they've all been good signings, to be fair. I don't get what some people were expecting going by the comments. 

Huddlestone, Davies & Wisdom have performed exactly how I expected them, too. I guess I expected Huddlestone to be a little more considerate on the ball, but I guess that's the only frustration. 

I, like many others, think Lawrence will prove to be our best signing. I don't think you can question his ability at all, he's a fantastic footballer, who has been unlucky on a couple of occasions not to score. Still, he's much more a provider than Ince and I'm sure will create more as the season goes on. 

The biggest frustration has to be the lack of energy in midfielder, but I can't blame that on any of the players who are there. We need a runner; a player who will pick the ball up from Huddlestone/Ledley and drag the team up the pitch 5/10 yards as a collective. Bradley Johnson, I guess, does a similar job but not to the same extent we require. Still, I would always play Johnson and another (ideally Thorne) as GT/JL/TH are all naturally deep-lying players. 

I'm confident that Lawrence will find his scoring touch but, for me, his dangerous set plays are a big asset for us. It feels like years since we had someone who can whip in free kicks & corners consistently instead of floating them into the area or not beating the first defender.

All the signings have been hits IMO. Hudds gets stick for being slow but it's not like it's a big shock to any of us. it's not his game and never has been. It's more than offset by his passing ability.

I was sceptical about Ledley but am happy to be proved wrong with that one.

Calling Wisdom a miss is frankly laughable IMO.

Archived