Scotty Carson - improving with age like a fine wine

Carl Sagan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Just digging this back up from earlier this year when we were playing Leicester in the FA Cup. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/26/scott-carson-derby-county-champions-league-medal-chris-kirkland

Thanks for the reminder. It's a great read, full of insights and including the line, "I’ve got four caps, and I was 26 when I got my last one. But I know deep down that I’m 10-20 times better now than I was when I got those caps. My all round game, and how much more comfortable I am at controlling different situations, is a lot better.”

• 1 month later...
On 22.10.2017 at 18:29, Carl Sagan said:

Thanks for the reminder. It's a great read, full of insights and including the line, "I’ve got four caps, and I was 26 when I got my last one. But I know deep down that I’m 10-20 times better now than I was when I got those caps. My all round game, and how much more comfortable I am at controlling different situations, is a lot better.”

we all know England like to pick up and coming keepers, or indeed any position, unless they are regularly playing well in the premier league for a big club. There are many Gks not just carson who have 1 or 2 caps when they were young and are actually much better now, but they all know they will never be called up again.

If Carson was Welsh, scottish, irish, he would of course be in their squads because they are not afraid to pick a good player in the championship. Their managers and coaches even watch the championship. But England on the other hand is an arrogant animal which will only pick premier league players, and when it runs out of good options it would rather pick a 20 year old with no top flight  experience as long as they are owned by a Man Utd, City, Liverpool, Tottenham or Chelsea.

10 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Remember when we signed Carson and it was all a bit "Meh, decent competition/backup for Lee Grant I suppose".

Us football fans know nowt :lol:

Speak for yourself :)

I was delighted to get a proper keeper in.

I have been, and still am, critical of his distribution and commanding of his area. Believe this is what is stopping him from being a top class goalkeeper.

That being said, his primary job is keeping the ball out of the net and he's certainly doing that well.

Can definitely say that he has contributed to our points tally.

Archived