Scotty Carson - improving with age like a fine wine

Carl Sagan

I'm going to be in the minority here but I just don't get the hype.

He's a decent Championship goalkeeper that could probably make the step up to Premier League. 

Decent shot stopper.

Poor distribution. 

Does not command his area.

There have been many occasions where his failure to collect crosses have led to panic in the area which inevitably Keogh has had to take the blame for.

He's the best we've had for a while but nothing special.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm going to be in the minority here but I just don't get the hype.

He's a decent Championship goalkeeper that could probably make the step up to Premier League. 

Decent shot stopper.

Poor distribution. 

Does not command his area.

There have been many occasions where his failure to collect crosses have led to panic in the area which inevitably Keogh has had to take the blame for.

He's the best we've had for a while but nothing special.

I agree with your criticisms of him but I would say he is a good shot stopper rather than decent. One of the best in the division.

Like most championship players he has flaws in his game which keep him out of the premiership but most in this league would have him in a shot.

10 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with your criticisms of him but I would say he is a good shot stopper rather than decent. One of the best in the division.

Like most championship players he has flaws in his game which keep him out of the premiership but most in this league would have him in a shot.

Surely being a good shot stopper should be a given for any goalkeeper (other than Bravo)?

I genuinely don't remember him making that many saves that would not be expected of him.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Surely being a good shot stopper should be a given for any goalkeeper (other than Bravo)?

I genuinely don't remember him making that many saves that would not be expected of him.

How many went in that you would expect of him?

Not seeing anyone call him the next Neuer or De Gea

2 minutes ago, David said:

How many went in that you would expect of him?

Not seeing anyone call him the next Neuer or De Gea

You're going to ask me to name examples now and I can't until I look back, but think there have been at least 2 this season that I would have expected him to do better

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You're going to ask me to name examples now and I can't until I look back, but think there have been at least 2 this season that I would have expected him to do better

And where would that 2 place him on the Championship keeper scale, average, above average, below?

Some maybe overhyping a touch (£5m ahem) but for what he is and where we are, don’t think you would get much better. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

And where would that 2 place him on the Championship keeper scale, average, above average, below?

Some maybe overhyping a touch (£5m ahem) but for what he is and where we are, don’t think you would get much better. 

Yeah that's what I said, a decent Championship keeper who could probably make the step up to Premier League.

But there again in recent times we've had other keepers thar have done that in Grant and Camp.

17 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Carson is an excellent keeper and I love him to bits, but Jack Butland was outstanding whilst here.

Not so much against Wigan. He made 2 saves that he should be pushing away and he pushed them both onto the pen spot. They scored 1 and we managed to clear the other. 

I know he's good and kind of "the best keeper we've had" but I don't think he was as good as Grant for Derby.  

18 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

The howler against Croatia had a big impact on his reputation I think, and I can't say I was overly chuffed when he signed.

He's been brilliant since day one for us and incredibly reliable, if he was still in the Premier League with this form there's no doubt he'd be back in the England squad.

And hes one of many championship players who is actually premier league class and should be in the premier league.
If it wasnt for foreigners for the sake of foreigners, He'd definately be in there. Hes better now than he was when he was in the Engl;and squad.... but because he isnt a promising youngster at Liverpool, then he must automatically be an old git, who has lost his form.

England players often get picked if they are young and could be seen to improve, if you have played for england ages ago, there is very little chance you ever get back in. They dont believe players can get better with age, so you never get picked again, unless there is an extreme shortage of options which is the only way defoe got back in. He is the exception to the rule. They would rather pick Jordon Pickford as he is the future, rather than play someone like Carson, Foster, Ruddy, who apparently had their time.

32 now, getting close to his peak which could last about 5 more years. If we are getting up in that time, that's the only position we don't need to worry about.

I like him and even though his distribution could be better, it's hardly´as atrocious as most of the keepers have in this division.

Like the guy - pleased we got a good No1

upbeat tonight  - about collecting another three points and another  clean sheet

Nowts won in October  - but stringing  a bit of form together and staying up there  - very pleasing!

Just wished Tom L would have slotted that early chance and we had got to 2-0 a bit earlier!! - give him a bit of confidence - but the goals will come for the lad

Very good keeper, by far our best since Poooooooom. Not much else to beat though to be honest.

It's going to be interesting in another couple of years time as, if we rate him as highly as i think we do, then at some point Jonny Mitchell will have to play or we'll end up losing him.

On the flip side Carson is still only 32 so could well easily have another 4-6 years as our number one.

58 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Very good keeper, by far our best since Poooooooom. Not much else to beat though to be honest.

It's going to be interesting in another couple of years time as, if we rate him as highly as i think we do, then at some point Jonny Mitchell will have to play or we'll end up losing him.

On the flip side Carson is still only 32 so could well easily have another 4-6 years as our number one.

Think Carson did say he want to carry on in his 40s depending on fitness. Good luck to him if he does and hopefully he'll be here for more years to come. 

Archived