Scotty Carson - improving with age like a fine wine

Carl Sagan

When Carson saved the one-on-one against the gumps last weekend there was something unusual about it that I couldn't put my finger on, but now I've read his comments about the save in the DET and it's clear he held back and stood up, forcing the McKay to think about what he was going to do rather than rushing out and making the forward's mind up for him:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/i-thought-held-back-made-657476

He says "The old goalkeeping coach, Zuby [Pascal Zuberbuhler], gave me a lot of good advice about it. I think if that situation had happened five, six, seven years ago, I would probably have been at the edge of my box trying to close him down ... It's something I never used to do and have worked a a lot on."

I'm also impressed by his new approach to facing penalties this season where, if I recall, he's on one out of two and he almost saved the other one as well.

It's great to have a player who was already good (a former England international) working so hard to improve his game. He says he's better now than ever. His time's probably gone now but for me he's the best we've had since Poom and if we were in the top flight I'm sure he'd get talked about and I'm also confident that we wouldn't need to be looking for a replacement. One of the very few players who seems to have improved since he arrived at the club, and it's good to know that's partly down to the coaching.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Carson is an excellent keeper and I love him to bits, but Jack Butland was outstanding whilst here.

Played like 6 games, wouldn't say outstanding either, did great and everything but you are stretching it a bit

Love Carson me but his distribution from back passes in particular dismays me at times. 

That said I think we should move heaven and earth to keep him here as long as his overall form remains at the standard it’s at currently.

Those photos from National Smile Day or whatever it was a couple of weeks back we’re great, seems he doesn’t take himself too seriously which is a quality I like in people. 

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Championship standard. 

McKay hit it right at his legs better strikers score that.

Also feel he was at fault for sheff Utd third goal and should have saved Brentford’s equaliser. 

Honestly think he’s overrated here. 

Ftfy

Archived