Favorite Non-Derby Goal

45 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Remember people all had to move a little slower in that stifling temperature of a Mexican summer, and that the  pitch wasn't nearly as good as the billiard table like surfaces that Messi plays on. The enormity of the occasion also should be considered.  

Not that i was ever argue against Messi, he has numerous contenders in any' best goal ever' debate.  That goal against Getafe when he was a teenager was unbelievable. But taking into account the status of the games, the two you mentioned are certainly right up there near the very top, if not on top.

In such a subjective discussion, that is more about aesthetics than any sort of quantitative measurement, I'm not sure phrases like 'undoubtedly much better' are suitable..

I just think the game is of much more quality these days.

Sure technology, dieting, pitches and preparation weren't the same in those days, but that defending...

You can say the heat was stifling. I fully understand that, Mexico in the summer is horrible.

But if that was in today's time, England would use a deep, compact defence and not allow Argentina any space in behind.

Peter Reid was jogging in that goal. One defender just stuck out a lazy leg, while the last defender didn't even make an attempt to tackle him or worse foul him. I've seen cones defend better than that!

Lovely goal though and that commentary is epic. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

But if that was in today's time, England would use a deep, compact defence and not allow Argentina any space in behind.

Yeah teams do seem to have learned how to park buses these days when compared to a generation ago, that's true.

A general point in any Messi vs Maradona debate would be that if you look at clips of the two playing it's very apparent that defenders if beaten by Maradona would simply hack Maradona down if he was anywhere outside the box, and simply give away a free-kick and probably suffer no further sanction.

They simply can't do that with Messi, at most they get away with one blatant foul, before seeing red. That's a good thing of course, but it has made things much easier for Messi, just as more blanket defending has made things tougher.  When Maradona dribbled past defenders he generally had to stay out of kicking/fouling distance, just as he did with the English defence that day.

On 21/10/2017 at 14:08, Highgate said:

Yeah teams do seem to have learned how to park buses these days when compared to a generation ago, that's true.

A general point in any Messi vs Maradona debate would be that if you look at clips of the two playing it's very apparent that defenders if beaten by Maradona would simply hack Maradona down if he was anywhere outside the box, and simply give away a free-kick and probably suffer no further sanction.

They simply can't do that with Messi, at most they get away with one blatant foul, before seeing red. That's a good thing of course, but it has made things much easier for Messi, just as more blanket defending has made things tougher.  When Maradona dribbled past defenders he generally had to stay out of kicking/fouling distance, just as he did with the English defence that day.

Watch Maradona's goal against Belgium from the 86 world cup and it gives you some idea of the treatment he used to get!

Archived