Favorite Non-Derby Goal

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Nah. Like Barca, hate Chelsea.

I would have thought hating Chelsea is the default position for every football fan, bar some Chelsea fans I suppose. Petrodollar club, enjoying success from vast sums of money that should belong to the average Russian. What's to like?

Still with Jose not around anymore, they are less offensive now than they used to be, and they do have some quality players.

38 minutes ago, Highgate said:

He could even cheat better than everyone else. Peerless. :ph34r:

Overshadowed his magnificent second goal.

I think that would be my pick, we all wanted to be Maradona down the park after that.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Overshadowed his magnificent second goal.

I think that would be my pick, we all wanted to be Maradona down the park after that.

Absolutely, the second is, probably, the best goal of all time, especially given it was a World Cup quarter final and the immense pressure he was under from the Argentinian fans. Best seen with the Victor Hugo Morales commentary.

Archie Gemmill v Holland, Argentina world cup 1978. 

Keith Houchen Coventry v spurs diving header in the fa cup final

Steve McKenzie Man City v spurs in the fa cup final replay

Tardelli v Germany world cup final spain 82. 

Eder v scotland, spain  world cup 82. 

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

Absolutely, the second is, probably, the best goal of all time, especially given it was a World Cup quarter final and the immense pressure he was under from the Argentinian fans. Best seen with the Victor Hugo Morales commentary.

Best goal of all time? Up step Leo Messi with any number of absolute stunners.

Maradona's goal was quality, but the defending was absoloutely non-existent.

He was left acres of space to run into with not a single England defender within 2 meters of him. 

Messi, with such defending, would score at least five goals a game.

His goal vs Real Madrid, against better opposition and miles better defending in a higher-quality match was undoubtedly much better.

Then you get his goal against Athletic Bilbao. Unbelievable.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Best goal of all time? Up step Leo Messi with any number of absolute stunners.

Maradona's goal was quality, but the defending was absoloutely non-existent.

He was left acres of space to run into with not a single England defender within 2 meters of him. 

Messi, with such defending, would score at least five goals a game.

His goal vs Real Madrid, against better opposition and miles better defending in a higher-quality match was undoubtedly much better.

Then you get his goal against Athletic Bilbao. Unbelievable.

Remember people all had to move a little slower in that stifling temperature of a Mexican summer, and that the  pitch wasn't nearly as good as the billiard table like surfaces that Messi plays on. The enormity of the occasion also should be considered.  

Not that i was ever argue against Messi, he has numerous contenders in any' best goal ever' debate.  That goal against Getafe when he was a teenager was unbelievable. But taking into account the status of the games, the two you mentioned are certainly right up there near the very top, if not on top.

In such a subjective discussion, that is more about aesthetics than any sort of quantitative measurement, I'm not sure phrases like 'undoubtedly much better' are suitable..

Archived