Vydra Appreciation Thread

Waffle

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not some Nick Blackman purple patch. We are seeing why we paid £8 million for him. He is a finisher and a goalscorer.

I think what has been difficult is finding a place for him in the side, because he is a luxury player and we are so used to playing with one centre forward.

Under Pearson and McClaren, the decisions were nonsensical. Playing him as a winger or a 'wide forward'? Bad idea. Playing him alongside a carbon copy in Wilson? Bad idea. Asking him to be the focal point and lead the line? Bad idea.

Playing him as a deep lying forward with Nugent ahead of him is something we've had a degree of success with but playing him alongside Martin still seems the obvious choice to me.

If the midfield two is well balanced and mobile enough, it can and will work.

19 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

This is not some Nick Blackman purple patch. We are seeing why we paid £8 million for him. He is a finisher and a goalscorer.

I think what has been difficult is finding a place for him in the side, because he is a luxury player and we are so used to playing with one centre forward.

Under Pearson and McClaren, the decisions were nonsensical. Playing him as a winger or a 'wide forward'? Bad idea. Playing him alongside a carbon copy in Wilson? Bad idea. Asking him to be the focal point and lead the line? Bad idea.

Playing him as a deep lying forward with Nugent ahead of him is something we've had a degree of success with but playing him alongside Martin still seems the obvious choice to me.

For a second I thought I was in the Nick Blackman transfer thread and nearly died of shock thinking that we'd paid £8 million for Nick Blackman.

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Liked that post a lot. So much about an individual player goes way beyond his personal skill set.

who is he playing with ? Who is he playing against ? What set up have ? Hundreds of variables. But for certain you could draw a bell curve of a players effectiveness across a range of those variables including his own skills. 

Martin and Vydra will both have peaks with a big high but not the broadest range. players like Nuge and Thorne have broad ranges and a high peak, JR has a breadth of range but without the highest peak. The secret ( unless you are Man City and have an oil well ) is balance and selection .. Right player at right time, well chosen tactics dependent on oposition  ...in a balanced squad. 

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

He was never given a chance. Mcclaren was obsessed with one formation and second time around wasn't going to give Pearson a tacit nod by playing his marquis signing. He was thrust to the bench, occasionally played on the wing. Pathetic, really.

He hasn't always started under Rowett either. I guess it's horses for courses. 

28 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Just concerns me at £8mill he’s good enough to play at home but not away?? Surely as a professional you can adapt to different systems/formations away or is the modern squad rotation the norm now

Good point but ... this plot has yet to unfold but in those last two games it was imperative we stop getting tonked. Prob will depend who it is we play away from home. Eh, At Burton I'm pretty confident Vydra will be playing ... 

6 minutes ago, Rambrah said:

Vydra was on fire against Forest and has developed an impressive partnership with Nugent. I don't see a reason to change the front 4.

I take it you didn't got to Bristol. or Barnsley. or Sheffield United. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I'd say them scoring half of Derbys goals.... chipping in with a few assists suggests it's blossoming a tad..... 

9 minutes ago, sage said:

I didn't go to the Sheffield Utd game or Bristol. However I when I watched Barnsley I saw Chrissy play up top not Nuge and Vydra.

I believe players need a chance to continue to develop their partnerships rather than forever chopping and changing the team

when we have a bad game. I think the front 4 have a good balance, I'm not convinced we have the energy or movement in the middle of the park though with Huddlestone and Ledley (I would like to see Ledley play alongside someone who has the legs). 

I really like Vydra at 10, I banged on about how good he'd be there all summer but we've seen us overrun with him playing there.

It all comes down to the midfield, until we can bring in some players who compliment Huddlestone/Thorne then we'll be overrun in midfield without the ball and have a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch with the ball. We're having success with Vydra at 10 but it isn't consistent or reliable enough for me. There's a reason we've changed system about 4/5 times since Sunderland away, we're not consistent.

I don't think Vydra's a reliable enough outlet for the two CDM's, we spent so much time pissing about with the ball on the edge of our box on Sunday because we're not particularly good at moving the ball up the pitch or through midfield. We're mainly just bypassing midfield and it isn't particularly reliable, hence teams like Sheff Utd having a lot of possession and joy against us.

When we're in the final third I think Vydra's our best 10 by a mile but we need to be able to get into the opponents half ore efficiently than we are currently.

We're still a work in progress but I think we've got someone to build around in Vydra.

3 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I really like Vydra at 10, I banged on about how good he'd be there all summer but we've seen us overrun with him playing there.

It all comes down to the midfield, until we can bring in some players who compliment Huddlestone/Thorne then we'll be overrun in midfield without the ball and have a gaping hole in the middle of the pitch with the ball. We're having success with Vydra at 10 but it isn't consistent or reliable enough for me. There's a reason we've changed system about 4/5 times since Sunderland away, we're not consistent.

I don't think Vydra's a reliable enough outlet for the two CDM's, we spent so much time pissing about with the ball on the edge of our box on Sunday because we're not particularly good at moving the ball up the pitch or through midfield. We're mainly just bypassing midfield and it isn't particularly reliable, hence teams like Sheff Utd having a lot of possession and joy against us.

When we're in the final third I think Vydra's our best 10 by a mile but we need to be able to get into the opponents half ore efficiently than we are currently.

We're still a work in progress but I think we've got someone to build around in Vydra.

I think the trouble with having players with pace like vydra in the middle is that if things go wrong the ball can come straight back at us very quickly. With martin he holds the ball up.. Also a mixed blessing. Like I say it's horses for courses.

29 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't think Rowett is going to drop them after that Forest game because of how they played against Bristol City . . .

Until we play away? 

With Vydra and Nudent we are like Graeme Hick for England. Looked good until he came across the better teams.

On Sunday Forest took a gamble in leaving Bridcutt 1 on 1 with Vydra so Dowell and Osborn could make runs beyond Huddlestone and Ledley. For the first hour they were creating 2 chances to our 1, That won't work against every team.      

He's doing a great job, but still would like to see him further forward. Incredibly frustrating that he never seems to play with Martin.

Vydra needs to play smarter in that number 10 role. His natural instinct is to turn and face goal each time, which is brilliant when it works, but too risky to do in the first two thirds. First-class number 10s look around as the ball comes to them and make a split second decision about whether to turn, thread a ball forward or play it safe and pop a pass back.

Can Vydra be coached to do it better, or do the needs of our squad force us to compromise and accept it as a necessary weakness?

If Chris Martin plays, we have an outlet that Vydra doesn't provide. Wouldn't drop Nuge after his Forest performance but as soon as the chance arrives, pair Martin with Vydra and watch the magic happen. Martin providing the option for the midfield to find with a pass, Vydra playing off his lay-offs, the wingers, especially the technically-gifted Tom Lawrence, roaming around and creating chances through interplay with the front two. Just play the bloody pair together!

Archived