Kieftenbeld..... has he really signed?

Mafiabob

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the resurgence of Johnson version  2.1 last night, I wonder if Keith will only be memorable come the end of the year as the catalyst that scared the bejaysus out of Johnson, turning him into the player we were looking for, but already had under our noses. Oh, that's why we paid £6m for him.....

A " Kieftenbeld" may become a buzz word to describe threatening to sign someone in order to get improved performances from the person you intend replacing. :)

On 08/09/2017 at 13:18, angieram said:

Since this topic seems to have turned into a discussion on the under 23s I'll add my opinion. Not dressed up as fact as some seem to prefer.

Of the four young players mentioned I think Max Bird is by far the most skilful on the ball. He is very quick to nip in and steal the ball from others. He is also used to playing CDM. He is physically not very mature and I do hope he gets stronger as my only fear for him playing at first team level is getting bullied off the ball by some of the thugs that play in our division. However, he may just be nippy enough not to let that happen - he certainly doesn't dwell on the ball - he distributes really well and quickly. Hasn't had any first team experience anywhere.

Elsnik is better playing further forward and I agree he shows real promise - not necessarily the right player as part of a CDM pair. I'm hopefully off to see him at Cheltenham on our next international break (if playing) and will report back. Still see him as more of an impact sub at first team level at this stage. I think he is itching to step up - feels it is his time.

Guy was looking the player most likely until he picked up an injury a couple of seasons ago. Got a great free kick on him, is physically strong, a bit rash at times in the tackle but he has a great engine and heart. He looked a bit rusty on the ball when he came back beginning of last season and I think the loan was what he needed. Unfortunately didn't get to check him out at Port Vale but reports were all positive. Not necessarily a natural CDM, more of a box-to-box like Bryson. Is he match fit? Probably not there yet. Is it time to give him a try when he is? Absolutely.

Hanson is a natural CDM - not quite big enough to play back four but strong, likes a tackle (as we know) and again, full of heart. Is he good enough? I've not seen much to say he is on current first team evidence but as others have pointed out he hasn't really had a sustained opportunity in this position. My biggest worries about him are awareness of position and distribution. Maybe the latter doesn't matter so much if playing alongside Tom; it would if coupled with Bradley.

Someone also mentioned Calum MacDonald - he's a promising full back and I've only seen him step into CDM a couple of times to cover injury. I thought he looked a bit lost there and was easily by-passed.

Finally I've seen our Manager at the under 23s games I have been to recently and my guess is he sees more of them all than some on here seem to think. He'll work it out.

Sorry to go so far off topic but it seemed relevant to the conversation.

Great post. I really need to get to some U23 games, as it sounds like Wassall has got them playing nicely and I've heard good reports of so many individuals. It's just a bit difficult to get down to Pride Park on my own. Really intrigued to see Elsnik (bit late now, I know), Guy, and Bird (I've played with and against him a few times over the years, but would be interested to see how he does against older players).

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Great post. I really need to get to some U23 games, as it sounds like Wassall has got them playing nicely and I've heard good reports of so many individuals. It's just a bit difficult to get down to Pride Park on my own. Really intrigued to see Elsnik (bit late now, I know), Guy, and Bird (I've played with and against him a few times over the years, but would be interested to see how he does against older players).

They are playing some games at St George's Park, nearer Burton but out in the middle of nowhere still if you haven't got transport. 

I try to see them when I can, it's free and they play good , fast flowing football. 

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Did I hear right that he was 300k?

The same price we paid for Derek hales in 1977???? :lol::lol:

Bound to be brilliant! 

How much did we pay for Chris Martin? 

Just now, Paul71 said:

How much did we pay for Chris Martin? 

This is a true point.

The difference being that I don't recall  (and I've been a member of this forum since 2011) any similar hullabaloo about CM signing on as being the missing piece for a promotion push that would propel us to great heights.

Different times - our expectations are now somewhat different to the days of those signings - CM, JR et al. 

Hales was going to bring back the glory days - he was scoring for fun! Hence the use of him as a comparison. 

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

This is a true point.

The difference being that I don't recall  (and I've been a member of this forum since 2011) any similar hullabaloo about CM signing on as being the missing piece for a promotion push that would propel us to great heights.

Different times - our expectations are now somewhat different to the days of those signings - CM, JR et al. 

Hales was going to bring back the glory days - he was scoring for fun! Hence the use of him as a comparison. 

I was only 6 I don't even remember him other than people saying he was rubbish.

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Derek Hales and Mike Flanagan were tearing it up for Charlton. 

We bought the wrong half of the partnership. ....:( didn't realise it at the time of course......

Neither of them were good enough for Derby.

Archived