Derby County v Hull City

Leicester Ram

Major positives for me yesterday 

we scored goals for a change which will be very good for the season confidence 

we have four very good central forwards available 

we have two full backs who are actually better than Ollson and the dependable Baird  waiting in the wings in Forsyth and wisdom and potentially Thorne to join in at some point.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ramblur said:

Could be right,Gritters,but we'll never know.In some ways (well,no,not really!) it's a shame it didn't go in as it would have given us an insight into the current mental strength of the team.

I'm glad he missed. I'm glad we scored 5. I hope we can win every week. Some games are won or lost on defining moments and I think the penalty miss was that moment last night.

16 minutes ago, Gritters said:

According to the BBC they had 18 shots and got 3 on target. 

We had 7 shots on target and scored 5.

A couple of things to bear in mind though. 50% of Hulls 18 shots were from outside of the area, whereas 67% of our 15 shots were in the area. Another thing to bear in mind is that they had a whole half where they had nothing to lose by committing men forwards. 

5-0 perhaps wasn't a representative scoreline but I do think we had the better chances and I do think the win was more than deserved. 

Not that excited about Thorne coming back.

Huddeslestone is better than Thorne with or without the injuries, and You need a Bradley johnson type player in there to compliment the controller which Thorne and Huddlestone are. Thorne wouldnt have scored either of Johnsons goals yesterday because he wouldnt have been in that position.

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Major positives for me yesterday 

we scored goals for a change which will be very good for the season confidence 

we have four very good central forwards available 

we have two full backs who are actually better than Ollson and the dependable Baird  waiting in the wings in Forsyth and wisdom and potentially Thorne to join in at some point.

Don't decry Olsson he was better than Forsyth has been. 

38 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes...they failed to convert 3 gold-rimmed chances that came as a result of that possession...the penalty, the diving header which the chap missed by a millimetre and the shot which shaved the bar, not forgetting the left foot ballooner that the chap should have buried. Our finishing was that much more clinical...theirs was woeful hence we won 5-0 but they created more than we did. 

Ella can't have that they created more than us Yes Hull are a good side and I would be surprised if they are not in the playoff's come May they have good players But even the most pessimistic of fans have to admit we outplayed them All teams will have chances but there was no way after the pen miss that Hull were going to get anything out of that game 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

A couple of things to bear in mind though. 50% of Hulls 18 shots were from outside of the area, whereas 67% of our 15 shots were in the area. Another thing to bear in mind is that they had a whole half where they had nothing to lose by committing men forwards. 

5-0 perhaps wasn't a representative scoreline but I do think we had the better chances and I do think the win was more than deserved. 

Without a doubt all I am trying to point out is that performance wasn't the finished article. I believe there is more to come.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Don't decry Olsson he was better than Forsyth has been. 

I wasn't Ollson is decent and Forsyth is getting fitter both physically and match wise but unfortunately for Ollson he is the smallest in our back line and he is and always will be targeted by the opposition at set pieces. I wasn't decrying him but it's a theme that I see and I was being very positive 

1 minute ago, Ellafella said:

1. Not sure how this really detracts from the argument...they are still chances. You may argue they only had them because we "let them have them" but it's a moot point really. 

2. Yes, Dawson's header flashed just cms wide and loooked to be rocketing in. The penalty was the fulcrum moment. That's the beauty of the game I suppose...penalty goes in and perhaps it finishes 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 etc but it ends 5-0. 

We will have sent a shivver down a few teams' backs after last night and they will be wary of us but old 'arry rednapp won't be twitching and fidgeting too much because he will have seen things to exploit. Loved our "shock and awe" raids but teams won't all fall for it. 

My point was that their best chances came at a less dangerous point in the game and that would not really effect the result of the game had one of those had gone in. Obviously we need to work on that but you aren't going to play against a team like Hull and not give away a few chances.

It is down to the fine margins, we were very clinical. We still had 2 very good opportunities through Martin and Vydra. Winnall had the chance to square for Martin (I think) who was in a great position but chose to shoot, Martin couldn't quite find Winnall with a pull back.

6 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Not that excited about Thorne coming back.

Huddeslestone is better than Thorne with or without the injuries, and You need a Bradley johnson type player in there to compliment the controller which Thorne and Huddlestone are. Thorne wouldnt have scored either of Johnsons goals yesterday because he wouldnt have been in that position.

I would have to disagree. A fully fit Thorne would be our best CM in my opinion. He may well have scored the second one He has scored similar goals. Remember his goal v Man Utd? When 100% he is arguably the best CM in the championship. He can do everything Huddlestone can and is more mobile with a better shot.  

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Lovely analogy that encapsulates exactly what GR's plan is. Group behind the ball when out of possession, then hunt like a pack of wild hungry dogs when the ball breaks to us...speed, ruthlessness and hunger and fire and rip the opposition's flesh off their bones and drink the warm dripping blood, taste their entrails...that sort of thing. :mellow:

That's an offal thing to say.

5 hours ago, Jayram said:

Hang on mate, it wasn't exactly Barcelona-esque tiki taki either was it? Hull had lots more possession, more shots on goal, more corners etc but their defence was all over the place.

Better organised teams won't get turned over like that by our style of football so I wouldn't be too much of a smart arse about it.

Great result that has the potential to set us up nicely for the rest of the season but there's a long way to go.

Where did i say it was anything like Barcelona, but it was nearer to that than the pump it long style that many predicted. It won't be either of them, it will be a mixture of short incisive passes a la goal number 2 and some longer passes like the ball that Huddz played to Russell at Sunderland. 

The important word in that last sentence is 'passes'. Massive difference between a long pass and a hopeful punt down the park.

As for being a smart arse. It's what I'm good at so I will continue to be one. 

Thanks for the advice tho.

28 minutes ago, rynny said:

My point was that their best chances came at a less dangerous point in the game and that would not really effect the result of the game had one of those had gone in. Obviously we need to work on that but you aren't going to play against a team like Hull and not give away a few chances.

It is down to the fine margins, we were very clinical. We still had 2 very good opportunities through Martin and Vydra. Winnall had the chance to square for Martin (I think) who was in a great position but chose to shoot, Martin couldn't quite find Winnall with a pull back.

Also there were the opportunities both Nugent and Lawrence had were they choose to shoot from an acute angle rather than crossing to the free man.

13 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Sometimes you just have to smile and enjoy the good fortune that you sometimes get as a football fan. 

Derby worked their socks off and got the breaks that in previous games have gone the other way, ie Sheffield 2 weeks ago. 

Come Monday morning no one cares about the performance, stick your chest out and regale workmates of thrashing a team that were in the premier league last season. 

Perhaps the best bit of tonight was the performance of Lawrence. Considering he's played 2 internationals in a week, came back from Moldova on Wednesday and still put in graft and no end of skill was a joy to behold. 

And yet some posters on here only see the mistakes.

On another note, it's a bit disconcerting to think that he was only a dispensable bit part player at Leicester, who were in our division 4 years ago. Frightening to think how far we've got to go to compete in the Premiership.

30 minutes ago, sage said:

I would have to disagree. A fully fit Thorne would be our best CM in my opinion. He may well have scored the second one He has scored similar goals. Remember his goal v Man Utd? When 100% he is arguably the best CM in the championship. He can do everything Huddlestone can and is more mobile with a better shot.  

I think Thorne looks to more actively control the game than Huddlestone, who can be a bit passive at times. I completely agree though, if Thorne gets fully fit its will be him plus one other.

Chances for them from memory

dawson header - which looked close but on the highlights is actually well wide

the pen

ainas header tipped over

the bowen? Header miss from hectors cross

grosicki lash over

meyler long ranger than touched the bar.....

Chances for us

5 goals

vydra bicycle kick

vydra low drive 

johnson dragging his shot wide

lawrence side netting

martin low drive

Could have been 10-6, 4-0, 5-1

40 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I agree. When we beat Forest 5-0 We only had 43% possession and they had 8 shots to our 14. Should we only have won 5-3? Did we analyse that to death or did we just go ape because we'd beaten Forest - who I hope we pointed out in the interests of fairness were admittedly very poor at the time? :ph34r:

I'll worry about whether we'll lose next week next week. And as for how we'll do in the Prem....

In the meantime I will enjoy the warm feeling of a match well won in a good atmosphere and against the predictions of many. 

Some of you just need to live in the moment a bit more! :D

Nugent had a shot towards the near post ( very similar to Lawrence's) when Vydra was shouting for the cross at the back post, to read some posts you'd think we got 5 goals from 5 attempts. 

I'm cockahoop today, the purists, statisticians and analysts can take a hike, I liked what I saw, it was like all for one and one for all and I haven't seen that in a while.

Long may it continue.

Archived