• Last Reply
22 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Chances for them from memory

dawson header - which looked close but on the highlights is actually well wide

the pen

ainas header tipped over

the bowen? Header miss from hectors cross

grosicki lash over

meyler long ranger than touched the bar.....

Chances for us

5 goals

vydra bicycle kick

vydra low drive 

johnson dragging his shot wide

lawrence side netting

martin low drive

Could have been 10-6, 4-0, 5-1

Still a straight sets win.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

1. the lion's share, phrase of lion noun: lion's share 1.BRITISH the largest part of something. synonyms:most, the majority, the larger part/number, the greater part/number, the best/better part, the main part, more than half, the bulk, the preponderance "the lion's share of the profits".

2. Also, more shots? only 3 more. :lol: How many beans make 5? 3 more shots is actually 1+ 2 more shots and also 2+1 more shots and also 1+1+1 more shots. However you try and disguise it, re-write it, the phrase "they had more shots than us" and "they had 3 more shots than us" are pretty much synonyms, and "some of those were so wayward they don't count" to paraphrase you. Well my point was we won 5-0 but it couldve been 5-4 or 5-5 because we allowed them really good chances. On another day, another team will take those chances...

3. but some of the stats you are quoting (number of fouls?) paint a much more negative picture than is appropriate. No they don't paint an inaccurate picture they paint an accurate picture. 5-0 sounds like we totally controlled and dominated. But we didn't. Just as we didn't play poorly at Sheffield but lost comfortably. So, to quote Kipling, "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster,   And treat those two impostors just the same" because last night was our night BUT we need to guard against thinking, it'll be all plain sailing now, because the same issues pertain really, we are far from a finished team. 

Good to debate with you though Sir!. 

Also happy to have a friendly debate my friend.

whilst technically correct to say "lions share" and "more shots" almost implies we were lucky to win. Yes it could have been 5-5 or 5-4 but, it could have been 7 or 8 nil. They didn't score from those chance they same as we didn't score from our others.

As I say, generally I am in agreement and anyone who thinks we've turned the corner might be a little deluded. Let's celebrate a very enjoyable night (the euphoria may not last long) and not let some meaningless (fouls and shots - not on target) or relatively narrow differences (posession) put a dampener on it.

Only just sobered up. Unbelievable result. Clinical and at times really bright and forward thinking football that we haven't seen much of under GR. Don't get me wrong, Hull were absolutely appalling in everything they did, really bad. But we smashed them to pieces. What more can we ask for? 

Feeling more optimistic after that. So much so I'm off to Barnsley, despite the wife saying I'd promised her a meal that night. :D

After reading certain comments on this thread ,my mind wandered (it often does) to way back when . And took me back to when we beat the mighty Gunners 5-0 in the early 70`s.

At that time a few mates and myself used to go in the Popside then walk back to meet our Dads( who  had stood elsewhere in the BBG) at a pub near the train station I`m fairly sure that it was the "station pub". There we would devour bottles of cherry aid and packets of crisps whilst our "old men"discussed the game over a pint or two before we all left for home.

After this particular match I recall being amazed at the negative comments our Dad`s spilled out "should have scored more" "should have had it wrapped up earlier" etc,etc.

"You can please some of the people all of the time,you can please all of the people some of the time,but you can`t please all of the people all of the time ".

9 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Only just sobered up. Unbelievable result. Clinical and at times really bright and forward thinking football that we haven't seen much of under GR. Don't get me wrong, Hull were absolutely appalling in everything they did, really bad. But we smashed them to pieces. What more can we ask for? 

Feeling more optimistic after that. So much so I'm off to Barnsley, despite the wife saying I'd promised her a meal that night. :D

Warren...think very carefully :o. The female of the species is more deadly than the male. :mellow:

37 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Hull never looked like scoring* if anything could have 10-0 to derby.

* terms and conditions apply. Disregrding the penalty, scraping the bar, the header from Dawson that was narrowly wide, the save from the header by Carson, the missed diving header, the ballooning over the bar from 10 yards. 

14 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Honestly, it's the first time I've felt genuinely optimistic with Rowett. Don't get wrong I still have worries and we are far from the finished article but if the plan is to perfect and refine how we played last night, I can certainly get behind that. 

It's the first time I thought maybe Rowett's talking of taking inspiration from Klopp might be more than talk. It was very noticable we were defending aggressively to create an opportunity to attack, rather than just sitting in and looking to contain.

14 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

If that's the Rowett style beginning to emerge it was great to watch. Let's hope so.

Great pressing and fast attacking full of intent. I also noticed a lot of long forward passes were all along the ground rather than lifted, exactly what I'm watching with Man City now. You felt we could score every time we went forward. Loved the desire of all the strikers.

The possession stats some are spouting on here is a nonsense. Once ahead we drew them onto us so we could break quickly and capitalize.

I also liked what Rowett said after the match - that he'd told the players it was easier to play like that as a reaction after the Sheff Utd defeat, but he wants them to play like that after we've already won three in a row, and that's how teams stay top of the league. So many times these last few seasons we've gone top, only to get a nosebleed and wilt.

Enjoy Barnsley, Warren. Hope Thorne starts to give a selection dilemma. And you'll get to watch Bird's debut. It'll be a second string, but everyone playing on Tuesday now knows they need to up their game to get into starting contention for the league side.

23 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

After reading certain comments on this thread ,my mind wandered (it often does) to way back when . And took me back to when we beat the mighty Gunners 5-0 in the early 70`s.

At that time a few mates and myself used to go in the Popside then walk back to meet our Dads( who  had stood elsewhere in the BBG) at a pub near the train station I`m fairly sure that it was the "station pub". There we would devour bottles of cherry aid and packets of crisps whilst our "old men"discussed the game over a pint or two before we all left for home.

After this particular match I recall being amazed at the negative comments our Dad`s spilled out "should have scored more" "should have had it wrapped up earlier" etc,etc.

"You can please some of the people all of the time,you can please all of the people some of the time,but you can`t please all of the people all of the time ".

Similarly 4-0 up at half-time in that game

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If that's the Rowett style beginning to emerge it was great to watch. Let's hope so.

Great pressing and fast attacking full of intent. I also noticed a lot of long forward passes were all along the ground rather than lifted, exactly what I'm watching with Man City now. You felt we could score every time we went forward. Loved the desire of all the strikers.

The possession stats some are spouting on here is a nonsense. Once ahead we drew them onto us so we could break quickly and capitalize.

I also liked what Rowett said after the match - that he'd told the players it was easier to play like that as a reaction after the Sheff Utd defeat, but he wants them to play like that after we've already won three in a row, and that's how teams stay top of the league. So many times these last few seasons we've gone top, only to get a nosebleed and wilt.

Enjoy Barnsley, Warren. Hope Thorne starts to give a selection dilemma. And you'll get to watch Bird's debut. It'll be a second string, but everyone playing on Tuesday now knows they need to up their game to get into starting contention for the league side.

...and that is the nub, nay Sir, the very kernal of the thing. Can we do that week-in week out?

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not really...you can't score if you don't have the ball (unless it's Sheff Utd versue Derby) so the more possession the opposition have the less likely you are to score. Logic really...so I'm not totally convinced by not having possession...

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Not really...you can't score if you don't have the ball (unless it's Sheff Utd versue Derby) so the more possession the opposition have the less likely you are to score. Logic really...so I'm not totally convinced by not having possession...

And yet the extra possession Hull had didn't help them. I agree, to a point. Someone in this thread put it well earlier, with citing the amount of possession Paul Clement's side had, which was 60-70 each game, and yet we hardly looked lethal under him. Likewise, it makes it very difficult to score if you get below 40% possession, so I guess it's about balance in how you use your possession. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

And yet the extra possession Hull had didn't help them. I agree, to a point. Someone in this thread put it well earlier, with citing the amount of possession Paul Clement's side had, which was 60-70 each game, and yet we hardly looked lethal under him. Likewise, it makes it very difficult to score if you get below 40% possession, so I guess it's about balance in how you use your possession. 

Yes. It is about quality. Last night we turned less possession into more quality product than Hull did. 

14 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

What was weird about last night is that if you'd have asked me after the game without knowing the numbers, I'd have said the possession looked roughly even with Hull shading. I was a little surprised to see they had as much as 60%. Perhaps it's because I just didn't feel they really carried much of a threat with it (I realise they created decent chances). 

Archived