Super Nuge - a fan thread

jono

3 hours ago, jono said:

I had to go back 10 pages to find a Nuge thread and that was just about him being in the starting lineup. So here's my fan thread. 

i don't want to talk tactics or preferences because I think GR is building a squad with options for different occasions

but I do want to talk about Nuge as a personality and positive force. What an attitude ! He plays with a grin on his face and boundless effort. I get the feeling he is like a fan who gets called from the crowd in a movie and given a chance to play. What's more he is blooming effective. 8 goals in 12 starts. He gets his team mates playing and laughing, gets in the face of the opposition and can put the the ball in the net against anyone (other than PNE :p)

Makes going to matches just that little bit more entertaining. 

Agree with this 100 percent, plays the game as he is enjoying every minute of it, which is great to see, works hard, gives his all and seems to get on with all the players, said at the time that it was 2 million well spent, every club he has played for, he has been a fans favourite, also so glad we sign him instead of Rhodes from boro, we got a great deal and a great player for the next two seasons at least.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Our best striker???

Nugent has scored 8 goals in his last 12 starts, Martin hasn't scored in what over 12 games for us? So yes Nugent is currently our best striker. It's up to Martin to prove himself to get into the team now.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That's two things wrong then!

Why?

If Nugent plays alongside Vydra, scores 10 himself and assists Vydra 10 times

Or

Martin plays alongside Vydra scores 15 but gets no assists

Who is the better striker for our team?

Not saying this is the situation but just pointing out most goals does not always equate to best striker.

I appreciate what Martin had done for us in the past but I can't really see one outstanding area that Martin comes on top over Nugent.

I feel Nugent is more adaptable than Martin and can play any style whereas you need to play in a certain way to get the most out of Martin. If Martin is as passionate about Derby as he claims he is then this will only be a good thing and motivate him unlike when he was dropped for Fulham where he lost his interest. 

Martin has done fantastically well for us, there's no doubt about that. But we had to play a certain way to get the best out of him and that system has continuously failed over the last few seasons. 

The way GR want's to play now, I don't think suits Martin (not his fault).

So, for me, Nuge is our best striker.

24 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I appreciate what Martin had done for us in the past but I can't really see one outstanding area that Martin comes on top over Nugent.

I feel Nugent is more adaptable than Martin and can play any style whereas you need to play in a certain way to get the most out of Martin. If Martin is as passionate about Derby as he claims he is then this will only be a good thing and motivate him unlike when he was dropped for Fulham where he lost his interest. 

Free kicks ????   ,Suffering from short memory syndrome?

It is possible to rate Nugent without reference to Martin . I was delighted when we signed him as he was a player who  always seemed to play well against us. There were those who moaned about his age etc. But he has done well throughout and only had a short period of injury. Very happy with his current automatic selection.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why?

If Nugent plays alongside Vydra, scores 10 himself and assists Vydra 10 times

Or

Martin plays alongside Vydra scores 15 but gets no assists

Who is the better striker for our team?

Not saying this is the situation but just pointing out most goals does not always equate to best striker.

Nugent has 24 assists in 171 games

Martin has 23 in 176.

Still prefer Martin over Nugent as a matter of personal taste, purely because watching us embarrass defenders in this league with incisive passing in the final third is what excites me as a fan, and nobody does that better than Martin. He can trap anything from his chest down and lay it off to anyone.

Some fans don't consider Nugent a striker that you'd start if you were aiming for promotion, and when he first signed, I was in that camp. But on the evidence of what I've seen with my own eyes, combined with some pretty impressive stats, that opinion's becoming increasingly difficult to hold.

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Nugent has 24 assists in 171 games

Martin has 23 in 176.

I was not comparing the 2 players. 

Just pointing out that looking at goals scored is not always the only indicator of who is the best striker for a team.

Who covers more km per match? Very important stat in showing who would be creating more space for their strike partner.

Although Martin has never really played with a strike partner so would be another pointless comparison!

Until Martin has a run alongside Vydra or Nugent is asked to play the lone striker role and has balls pumped at him from 70 yards away without a team mate in sight, there is no real purpose in comparing them.

bags of energy, great finisher, a smile on his face, happy to be playing football and I've heard he's a gem in the dressing room.

Very happy to have him at Derby County.

With Vydra just behind him, he can get 15+ this year, no doubt.

Would I rather have him playing than Martin at the minute? Absolutely! 

Archived