Grimsby Town v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Saw weather saying there will breaks in the rain and wont affect all of east coast and sun shine will break through but still cloudy as well with some showers.

B4 I'm in Grimsby, absolute pissing it down up here, hasn't stopped all morning.

Derby County are facing an early season injury crisis in midfield ahead of tonight’s League Cup first round clash against Grimsby Town.

The Rams opened their season with a 1-1 draw at Championship new boys Sunderland on Friday evening, but are counting the cost of a physical encounter.

New arrival Tom Huddlestone is one of a host of players likely to be rested after he needed medical attention following his involvement at the Stadium of Light.

“We will have some changes which will be enforced,” manager Gary Rowett told theclub’s official website.

“Tom Huddlestone had about five bags of ice on his body after the game at Sunderland, and with so many games coming up, you have to take these things into consideration.”

The manager will probably be forced to rest three other players – all of them midfielders or wingers – for the match against the League Two outfit.

“Bradley Johnson has had a few niggles with his ankle as well, and Johnny Russell has a dead leg, so we have to be sensible,” Rowett confirmed.

“Craig Bryson has had an issue in his hamstring as well.

“The plan was to inject it after the Sunderland game and allow it to settle this week; so we’ll assess him, but he possibly won’t be available so he can be alright for the next four or five games.”

As Derby head to Lincolnshire for tonight’s match, Rowett will have to make use of his squad if they are to progress to the next round.

Striker Darren Bent, left-back Max Lowe, centre-back Jason Shackell and midfielder George Thorne are all long-term injuries.

Bryson came on as a late replacement for Russell at the weekend, only to end the match injured, meaning the point the Rams earned on Wearside came at some cost.

With neither available, Mason Bennett could earn his first opportunity of the season.

David Nugent and Matej Vydra, who both came on during the Championship opener, are also in contention to play.

Chris Baird, an unused substitute against Sunderland, may slot into the midfield while Jamie Hanson, Jacob Butterfield and Ikechi Anya are options to either start or sit on the bench.

Derby beat Grimsby 1-0 at Pride Park at the same stage of last season’s competition.

The Mariners opened their league campaign with a 3-1 win away at Chesterfield Town on Saturday.

On 06/08/2017 at 01:29, Carl Sagan said:

I'm expecting something like:

Mitchell

Wisdom     Keogh     Pearce     Olsson

Bryson        Baird

Bennett     Vydra       Anya

Nugent

Davies will be rested and I doubt Fozzy should be asked to play two in a week at the moment. We know what Carson can do, but Mitchell's been given a new four-year contract and in the event of Carson doing his back or some such, we need Mitchell to have a bit more experience. I think Wisdom needs games and will improve the more he plays, Captain Fantastic always plays.

Bench probably something like: Roos  Hanson  Butterfield  Johnson  Russell   Weimann  Martin

Almost certainly no room for the likes of Elsnik, Rawson, Zanzala, MacDonald to show what they can do.

With Bryson, Johnson & Huddlestone out, Butterfield will play alongside Baird and Elsnik and another youth can make the bench. Interesting to see who's picked.

I'd expect

Mitchell

Wisdom Keogh Davies Olsson

Baird Hanson

Bennett Vydra Anya

Nugent

Forsyth, Huddlestone, Bryson, Russell out

Don't see why Davies wouldn't play

Butterfield probably rested as too many other midfielders have knocks, so I can see 2 holding players in a 4231 to fit Vydra and Nugent in. 

Would hope Elsnik makes the bench and gets some game time.

Mitchell
Baird Keogh Pearce Olsson
         Butterfield Elsnik
Bennett      Vydra      Anya
                 Nugent 

Carson, Davies, Wisdom, Hanson, Blackman, Weimann, Martin

Anya switches to the right and whips crosses in for Nuge all night.

Derby win 3 - 1. Nugent, Bennett and Vydra the scorers.

Grimsby claim a consolation goal late on.

It's official, pod is now on tour. Come and say hello to the crew if you're there tonight, look for a looming baldy with a tooth missing, a grumpy chubster and a guy with questionable facial hair wearing an AC-DC Beanie. 

Two of us may be slightly worse for wear by that time @Srg

2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Hoping to see the 4231 tonight with Vydra given 90 in his best position.

It might be for tonight mate.

Ok... my suggestion to Gazza to ensure progress to the next round (while giving the squad a game and trying things out):

Mitchell

Baird  Keogh Davies Olsson

Bryson Elsnik Johnson

Vydra

Bennett Nugent

The  number of champions leagues I've won playing 4-3-1-2!!  I don't want Bennett to be a converted winger, I want him to play up top.

When I took out my streaming subscription I'm sure it said all league games not being shown by Sky plus the Carabau cup. I've just tried to connect to the site to see the pre-match talk and it says that the cup games aren't available. Has someone pulled the plug, or did I imagine that the cup was also available?

Archived