Sunderland v Derby County - Match day thread

Kernow

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Sounds like when Derby were relegated from the prem. You need a strong willed, Nigel Clough-type manager to sort out that kind of mess.

Good call IMO.

LostMackem, as long as you're not here to be a wind up we're generally interested to hear views from other clubs fans, gives a bit of perspective.

I wouldn't worry about Friday. As several folks have said on the thread, us losing matches like this has been a speciality of ours, just in terms of a sods law tendency.

• Replies 931
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Kennington Ram said:

I feel bad for you all, it is utterly rubbish that your club continues to sell you a product whilst clearly trying to just run the whole place into ground so it's as cheap and low hassle as possible for your wantaway owner.

On the one hand... Good luck for the season. On the other I kind of hope you don't go up for a few years because your ownership doesn't deserve to pocket the moolah.

To be honest we're in the same limbo we've been in for about the last four or five years - an owner whose only ambition is for the exit door with as much of his money back as possible, something which any football fan with half a brain would tell you simply isn't going to happen. Perhaps the only potential positive is that a punishing year in the Championship (without £100m of TV money at the end of it) might be enough to convince him to cut his losses and just go, but that may well be clutching at straws.

The most I think we can hope for from this season is to be able to come to the end of it with a new owner, and maybe a bit of dignity restored for the first time after years of scandals, almost-scandals, and general lack of respect from those playing for and running the club. Having said all that, I'll still be there on Friday night - God knows why...

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Good call IMO.

LostMackem, as long as you're not here to be a wind up we're generally interested to hear views from other clubs fans, gives a bit of perspective.

I wouldn't worry about Friday. As several folks have said on the thread, us losing matches like this has been a speciality of ours, just in terms of a sods law tendency.

No interest in winding people up - life's far too short.

Sunderland tend to be pretty good at that as well, maybe we'll do something really special and both manage to get beat.

4 minutes ago, LostMackem said:

Sunderland tend to be pretty good at that as well, maybe we'll do something really special and both manage to get beat.

I didn't think for a moment you were on a wind up, I meant as a general comment visitors from other teams are usually interesting to chat to. :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, LostMackem said:

Should be a good atmosphere before the game regardless, it's your first competitive home game since young Bradley Lowery's death. A young rams fan called Lewis Mighty also sadly lost his life to the same illness that Lowery suffered a few years ago so we will be paying our own respects to Lewis Mighty as well as arm in arm with you as we understand what you fans have been through.

35 minutes ago, LostMackem said:

Sunderland fan in peace here - All I'll say is that if you don't win on Friday you'll have missed an absolute trick. The club is in as bad a position as I can remember (I've admittedly only been a season ticket holder for 20 years but it's not like we've been short of disasters since then). I know I wasn't alone in feeling relieved to be relegated because it seemed like it would at least force Ellis Short to sell up and break the cycle of complete mismanagement and lack of interest, but since the takeover talks fell through earlier this summer things have gone from bad to worse.

We've now reached a point where losing 5-0 to Celtic and then having one of our theoretically senior players recorded calling us s**** when he's pissed isn't even that exceptional, it's just another in the long line of predictable shitness coming out of the Stadium of Light. We're overloaded with poor, uninterested players on massive wages, dragging down the odd half decent kid we might have floating about in the ranks. I've no idea whether we'll get relegated this season but it would hardly surprise me, and I certainly agree with those commenters earlier in this thread saying we'll be closer to the bottom six than the top six come May. If you've got any sense you'll come hard out of the traps in the first twenty minutes, one goal and we'll collapse, the minute that happens we'll get the usual boos and walkouts and you'll be off to the races.

Anyway, hope nobody minds me interjecting here - always had a great day out at Derby and hope you finally manage to get yourselves out of the division this year, best of luck with the season, can guarantee it's going to be better than ours.

We don't really come rushing out of the traps. We are far too gentlemanly.

you can expect to see saunter out of the traps and play across you for half an hour or so, so as to avoid causing any offence.

Eventually the ball may ricochet off someone and be diverted towards your goal. We apologise now if this results in anything as vulgar as a goal. Should we find oursleves awarded a penalty kick, my advice would be for your keeper to stand still. He really doesn't need to fling himself about. We will either miss it or injure ourselves in the process of taking the kick.

In order to facilitate a draw we will only play one striker and our central midfielders will try not to cross the half way line.

Our wingers couldn't hit a cows @rrse with a banjo so you are quite safe there.

The only real risk to your goal is your own defence judging by recent evidence.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

We don't really come rushing out of the traps. We are far too gentlemanly.

you can expect to see saunter out of the traps and play across you for half an hour or so, so as to avoid causing any offence.

Eventually the ball may ricochet off someone and be diverted towards your goal. We apologise now if this results in anything as vulgar as a goal. Should we find oursleves awarded a penalty kick, my advice would be for your keeper to stand still. He really doesn't need to fling himself about. We will either miss it or injure ourselves in the process of taking the kick.

In order to facilitate a draw we will only play one striker and our central midfielders will try not to cross the half way line.

Our wingers couldn't hit a cows @rrse with a banjo so you are quite safe there.

The only real risk to your goal is your own defence judging by recent evidence.

It's funny and heart breaking at the same time.

3 hours ago, LostMackem said:

Sunderland fan in peace here - All I'll say is that if you don't win on Friday you'll have missed an absolute trick. The club is in as bad a position as I can remember (I've admittedly only been a season ticket holder for 20 years but it's not like we've been short of disasters since then). I know I wasn't alone in feeling relieved to be relegated because it seemed like it would at least force Ellis Short to sell up and break the cycle of complete mismanagement and lack of interest, but since the takeover talks fell through earlier this summer things have gone from bad to worse.

We've now reached a point where losing 5-0 to Celtic and then having one of our theoretically senior players recorded calling us s**** when he's pissed isn't even that exceptional, it's just another in the long line of predictable shitness coming out of the Stadium of Light. We're overloaded with poor, uninterested players on massive wages, dragging down the odd half decent kid we might have floating about in the ranks. I've no idea whether we'll get relegated this season but it would hardly surprise me, and I certainly agree with those commenters earlier in this thread saying we'll be closer to the bottom six than the top six come May. If you've got any sense you'll come hard out of the traps in the first twenty minutes, one goal and we'll collapse, the minute that happens we'll get the usual boos and walkouts and you'll be off to the races.

Anyway, hope nobody minds me interjecting here - always had a great day out at Derby and hope you finally manage to get yourselves out of the division this year, best of luck with the season, can guarantee it's going to be better than ours.

Hi. Thanks for input. I've been trying to get on RTG forum for a day or two whilst I can log in can't reply n was going to give the rams view of the game and our pre-season etc but hey ho. 

Before satdee I was going for a SAFC win but after the last 48 hours cannot see how we could lose all things being equal. 

A lot of your fans were still confident on the predictions of the result but this doesn't seem to be based on realism. Yes we were poor last year n had 4 managers, n yes we've sold our best 2 players but it seems we are more solid, together, and with Martin n Huddleston back more than capable of scoring. So hoping for 2-0, but Derby are also good at giving a team with no hope at rock bottom a victory which kick-starts an oppo's season so we'll see. 

The championship is tough which your players will find out very quickly! 

Over the season I pick us to finish above you. 

3 hours ago, LostMackem said:

We feel for you @LostMackem mate; but as we all know football has a habit of standing on its own head from time to time. There is always the possibility that the events of the weekend may serve to galvanize your club, and come Friday with a mass of fans and TV, and Grayson having read the Riot Act, you chaps will bounce back. As the late great Peter Cook said, "football is a cruel mistress, at times". All the best...except for Friday. :mellow:

Interesting debate about how many derby players would get in their team some saying only 3-4 with them having the better players. 

I'd maybe take  McGeady but apart from that struggle swapping others based on their pre-season n current malaise. However, they are Premier League players so we'll see. 

7 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Interesting debate about how many derby players would get in their team some saying only 3-4 with them having the better players. 

I'd maybe take  McGeady but apart from that struggle swapping others based on their pre-season n current malaise. However, they are Premier League players so we'll see. 

Relegated "premier league players" at a championship club......

Carson

wisdom.  Keogh.    Davies.   Forsyth

.                    Huddlestone

russell.     Vydra.      Johnson.  Weimann

.                       Martin

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Carson

I'd go with that. Would like to see Bennett in for Weimann but I think that will progress as the season goes on. 

9 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

We had a right shower of players when we went down, do you remember the first home game against Doncaster after relagation who passed, moved and destroyed us with football and somehow we only lost 0-1 

45 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Carson

Is that a blueprint of how to get overrun in midfield? Or is vydra magically a midfielder now ? 

Archived